New wheels buying secondhand

rodneycc

New wheels buying secondhand

Postby rodneycc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi All, I've bought a set of secondhand 2017 Fulcrum Zero carbon wheels but I can't see anything similar in any photos on the web so I'm not sure if I should be a little worried with the fake's going around (not necessarily these wheels).

I recently saw in a post about these wheels that the decals are painted and not removable but mine are definitely stick on decals (and I reckon they actually look better than the originals so I'm wondering if its actually been done on purpose). Also these wheels would be pretty hard to fake with the hubs (which are the really smooth USB ones) and those proprietary wide flat blade spokes.

Anyway what do you think? Nothing to be worried about hopefully(I still need to weigh them which might give me the answer - but they seem pretty light)?

2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Duck!
Expert

Re: New wheels buying secondhand

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Feel like pulling a hub apart & checking out the guts? I can't imagine too many counterfeiters going to the extent of matching the colours of the bearing & cone materials!

Got a pic of the rear? It should have a 2:1 triplet lacing similar in concept but not the same as the G3 triplet lacing on Campagnolo wheels (being owned by Campagnolo, Fulcrum share many parts with Campag-branded wheels, but differ in details).

If it's genuine, that QR code sticker in the last pic should take you back to Fulcrum's website to track the origin of the wheel. Again, can't imagine too many counterfeiters going to that extent!

So it's fairly probable that you have a genuine set of Very Nice Wheels, so get out and ride them!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 am

Duck! wrote:Feel like pulling a hub apart & checking out the guts? I can't imagine too many counterfeiters going to the extent of matching the colours of the bearing & cone materials!

Got a pic of the rear? It should have a 2:1 triplet lacing similar in concept but not the same as the G3 triplet lacing on Campagnolo wheels (being owned by Campagnolo, Fulcrum share many parts with Campag-branded wheels, but differ in details).

If it's genuine, that QR code sticker in the last pic should take you back to Fulcrum's website to track the origin of the wheel. Again, can't imagine too many counterfeiters going to that extent!

So it's fairly probable that you have a genuine set of Very Nice Wheels, so get out and ride them!
Thanks Duck, that makes me feel better. Here is the rear (sorry not a great shot).

I weighed the front and came in abot 570 odd grams which is bang on weight.

Anyway still to test out but pretty happy.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 pm

They appear to have the correct spoke-types - which are proprietary and cost a lot to obtain - not likely to be ones easily counterfeit.

Must ask though, you bought them, then had thoughts about their legitimacy, after you handed the cash over????
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm

macca33 wrote:They appear to have the correct spoke-types - which are proprietary and cost a lot to obtain - not likely to be ones easily counterfeit.

Must ask though, you bought them, then had thoughts about their legitimacy, after you handed the cash over????
Yeah it was only an after-thought after looking on the web and not seeing anything like them in all the pictures of that year model and in the fulcrum catalog that I thought something might of been wrong. The decals are definitely not like that off the shelf so someone I think has modified them but they are definitely Fulcrum racing zero carbon everything bar the decals (I actually prefer the decals on it).

First ride on them this morning and all was confirmed. They are awesome wheels. Fastest I have easily. Wet weather might be an issue but don't intend riding them in the rain. Got a set of normal Zeroes for that!