High Pressure Gravel Tyres

Thoglette

Re: High Pressure Gravel Tyres

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Paddles wrote:I ordered them through my local bike shop because I try to put my cash across their counter as much as I can, but I did a bit of legwork for them.

Cool. I might try this as I'm getting hammered on postage ex-.de (and ex-.usa is worse)

Paddles wrote:but also removing some resistance from the sidewall.
Not so fast - they still need something to keep the goo in, which does mean some sort of sidewall sealant (or dried goo). But if you have prickles around, goo is good!

hamishm wrote:what pressure should I (of 90ish kg) put in my 40mm Ramblers?

About 50 on road, a bit less off road. Suck it and see. Eventually you'll start wearing out the tyre side walls before the tread, :oops: which indicates you're probably running atbelow the lower limit
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:54 am

Thoglette wrote:
hamishm wrote:what pressure should I (of 90ish kg) put in my 40mm Ramblers?

About 50 on road, a bit less off road. Suck it and see. Eventually you'll start wearing out the tyre side walls before the tread, :oops: which indicates you're probably running atbelow the lower limit

Thanks, I'll try that on my next gravel ride. I know the 60 is too much but I've got an irrational fear of getting a pinch flat and not being able to get the tyres back on the damn tubeless rims properly on the side of the road. :oops:

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Feedback part 2 - now the rain has eased, I went on a 45km road loop with a few paths and gutter jumps and a krappy 10kn breeze off the bay that never really turned into a tailwind. Had the tyres at 60psi and for smooth and fast Strava sections the times were slightly slower than what i'd previously done with 28c at 100psi on my old road bike and with 35c at75psi on this current bike. On rough, blue metal roads with broken up patches the times were similar and on a section where I used to have to be more careful because of ruts and drains and speedbumps I actually went quicker. But the big thing is that the bike was just so much more comfortable and felt like it wasn't tiring me out so it's a winner. When the forest dries out a bit I'll put in a gravel road / tyre rut track loop and that's where I'm really expecting these tyres to make a difference, I'll drop pressures to 50psi rear and 45psi front for that.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Yep the Ramblers are much nicer at 50 psi. It feels like grip is a lot better on loose gravel, plus the bumps aren't so harsh.