Looking for a "foldable" tandem

supportdad

Looking for a "foldable" tandem

Postby supportdad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi,
My disabled son and I ride a rather old Apollo tandem and we are looking to upgrade. We are particularly trying to find a tandem that can split into smaller sections for easy transport. I have a ute so it's no problem now but we are thinking longer term when his carers will need to transport it. Can anybody recommend where we could get one either ready built (even secondhand) or the names of manufacturers who could build us one.
Thanks

rolandp

Re: Looking for a "foldable" tandem

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:18 pm

I ride tandems, supporting those with limited sight. The club was donated an old foldup tandem which we couldn't use. The challenge with fold up tandems is that they have to cater for two sets of chains, two seats, 4 pedals etc. The donated one was a pain to fold up, and was not great to ride either.

If your restriction is transporting the tandem, they do fit on a rear car bike rake, and I turn the front wheel to 90deg, to reduce the length. I would recommend this approach rather than a foldup tandem.

If you are in Perth, happy to demonstrate.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Another option is to get a frame with couplers, not cheap, not quick to assemble & disassemble, nor common in Australia, but you get a full size tandem that is easier to travel with
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 pm

I've carried tandems on either my strap on rack on the back of the car or inside the vehicle with the wheels off. It is not necessary to use a coupled tandem unless you are doing a lot of flights.

Cheers,

Cameron

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Not a cheap option, but look up Gellie bikes in Melbourne. Ewen built a great tandem for a friend of mine with S & S couplers for travel pack down and a separate adjustable stoker set up for a junior sized rider who is rapidly growing. Also 650B/700C compatible with multiple cockpits.