Trying to figure out compatible quick release trunk/pannier bags.

ark

Trying to figure out compatible quick release trunk/pannier bags.

Postby ark » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:41 pm

So I have successfully been cycling to work since finally taking the plunge. The cross city 2 equipped is doing me pretty well, though i suspect the front gears are a bit wonky, but its entirely possible that it is me that is a bit wonky, as last time I used to use a bike, it was 10 speed, bmx, and I think mountain bikes were just becoming a thing.

Anyway, onto the question. I currently use a topeak trung bag with drop down panniers to carry my gear i need for work, and other bits and bobs on my commute. It is literally the perfect size to fit a laptop, large lock, some clothing and so on. My only issue is that first thing in the morning with the velcro straps, its an absolute pain to get onto the bike with the bag fully loaded. So in my continuing quest to make my morning faster and reduce my internal monologue on why i should drive to work instead of ride, without spending an absolute fortune, what are some panniers/trunk bags that will fit my laptop, a pair of trousers, large U lock etc?

Needs to be quick and easy to get on and off, and also needs to be not too expensive.

Also considering just replacing the Giant rack, and putting an Ibera on, because it looks like the cost of a rack, and a ibera bag miight work out cheaper... any recs?

tez001

Re: Trying to figure out compatible quick release trunk/pannier bags.

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 am

I use a Deuter Uni pannier bag for my commute. Its just a large bag which you can slot a lot of things in. It hooks to the top bar of the rack and there is a elastic hook at the bottom to keep it from moving outwards.

Im not sure if your current rack supports this somehow.

Comes as a pair, however I have never used a second one to be honest. It will fit a laptop, trousers and u lock.

https://www.pushys.com.au/deuter-pannie ... k-uni.html

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 am

I reckon you couldn't do much wrong on investing in Ortlieb Panniers, these German made panniers with a back roller and top loading are 100 % waterproof, that I can vouch for...my Ortleibs are 14 years old and still as strong as when I bought them, in fact they are cheaper now than what they were when I bought mine.

A pair pf Ortliebs will cost just under $200 a pair and comes in many different colours.

If you don't want the larger ones you can buy the front roller front panniers but I don't know how you'll go fitting a laptop in the front ones...but they will clip onto rear racks as well.

The best part of the Ortleibs is the rack mounting system, no Velcro to worry about...they have a locking clip system that's fully adjustable for just about all different style of racks a quick lift of the strap connected with the strips and off they come...the same as putting them on, just lift a handle strap until a top rung clicks into the clips and whallah!!

There are a large number of bike shops that carry them these days, they are a world standard for touring cyclists all round the world....the only thing i'd replace mine with....is a new set of Ortleibs :D

http://diggari.com.au/ortlieb/bicycle-panniers/

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

ark

Postby ark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:06 am

Exactly the answers I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Most Topeak bags are designed for their MTX quick-fit system. If yours is, it will have a plastic plate on the bottom and a spring-loaded clip on the front which slide into the matching rack. The simplest solution is to replace the stock Giant rack with a Topeak model that will fit the bag.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Duck! wrote:Most Topeak bags are designed for their MTX quick-fit system. If yours is, it will have a plastic plate on the bottom and a spring-loaded clip on the front which slide into the matching rack. The simplest solution is to replace the stock Giant rack with a Topeak model that will fit the bag.
There are three different topeak bags .... the mtx, rx (which have quick release functions when paired up to properly equipped topeak racks) and third type, of the op that uses a conventional velcro system. The mechanism for the rx and mtx is identical, except for the rx being maybe 10 or 15cm shorter than the mtx. AFAIK, rtx racks are limited to the seatpost mounted varieties whereas the mtx ones take the standard pannier bearing system..
As such, even though you can fit it, it probably wouldn't be wise to mount an mtx bag on an rx rack on account of the extra stress a larger bag would place on the rack (rx bag on the mtx, it doesn't matter , outside of aesthetics, since it's merely smaller).

As far as panniers go, if you are going with ortliebs or some other brand that has inserts on the bags to accommodate different diameter rack rails, its probably a goic idea to zip tie soft aquarium tubing to the racks and ditch the inserts altogether (or alternatively, you can wait until you inevitably lose the inserts as you constantly pop the panniers on and off with commuting, and zip tie the tubing then).
Go!Run!GAH!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Or you can leave the panniers on. Mine are cable tied to the rack at the lower bit to stop them working loose and flapping around. I put my stuff into a cloth shopping bag which then goes in and out of the pannier as a complete unit. I find it much easier than faffing about with clips and losing shims etc. BTW my work laptop fits into a 'front' pannier, just. I have a locker at work which I re-stock on weekends so I don't have to carry much. I only need to take the laptop in every couple of weeks.

The beauty of using a smaller pannier, if you can, is that they are less likely to suffer "pannier suck" and there is more heel clearance.

Cheers,

Cameron

ark

Postby ark » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:02 am

I ended up ordering a pair of deuter unis. Will see how they go. From the pics, I am not quite sure how they will attach, but will figure it out. Once i have them and have used them a bit, will post an update.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:07 pm

The hooks on top of the pannier slot into the side rails of your rack and then the bottom elastic hook just hooks on to the legs of the rack to stop it from moving out sideways

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:56 pm

+1 on the Ortlieb panniers. I have been using the same set since 2008, and they are still going strong.

The attachment system is the best bit. Just drop it straight on the rail and it locks closed. To remove, just pick up the bag by the handle.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ark

Postby ark » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:47 am

So 2 commutes with the Deuters, there are incredibly quick and easy to attach. For $85 I wasn't sure what to expect, but they go on in seconds, and have plenty of capacity for my needs. Taking them off the first time was a bit of a lesson in how hooks move in small holes, but got it covered now.

All told pretty happy with them. Large capacity in the main bag, and plenty of room in the small zip pockets for my phone, reading glasses, comb etc.