Specialized Roubaix - Which one ?

Newcastle Dave

Specialized Roubaix - Which one ?

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:18 am

I have decided that its n+1 time, and have been thinking of a Roubaix for some time. I feel the more relaxed geometry will make it a much more comfortable ride than my current Cell Omeo (am I the only one to have bought one of those ?)

The thing is I love the DI2 on the Cell, but the price difference for the Roubaix Expert of the Comp seems excessive. Given that I can get a full Ultegra DI2 groupset for a little around $2200 which is only about $1000 more than the mechanical, why the $3500 difference between the two ?

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/rouba ... 084-128894

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/rouba ... 092-129154

I can see a slightly better fork and hubs, but what else am I missing ? (I am sure I am missing something)

hamishm

Re: Specialized Roubaix - Which one ?

Postby hamishm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:15 am

The price difference is $2500 (not $3500) but your point is still well made. The Di2 just goes with a premium feel which means they slap a much bigger margin on that bike.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 am

Newcastle Dave wrote:I have decided that its n+1 time, and have been thinking of a Roubaix for some time. I feel the more relaxed geometry will make it a much more comfortable ride than my current Cell Omeo (am I the only one to have bought one of those ?)

The thing is I love the DI2 on the Cell, but the price difference for the Roubaix Expert of the Comp seems excessive. Given that I can get a full Ultegra DI2 groupset for a little around $2200 which is only about $1000 more than the mechanical, why the $3500 difference between the two ?

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/rouba ... 084-128894

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/rouba ... 092-129154

I can see a slightly better fork and hubs, but what else am I missing ? (I am sure I am missing something)

The more expensive bike has wheels listed as “Roval SLX 24 Disc, DT Swiss 350 hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes, 24h”

The cheaper bike has wheels listed as “Roval SLX 24 Disc, sealed cartridge hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes, 24h”

So, same rims but slightly better hubs? I'd save the money and enjoy shifting gears manually. $2500 would buy you another pretty darn good bike!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:44 pm

SWAT Box, Ultegra crankset (versus Praxis Zayante), Ultegra v 105 cassette.

If you want di2, a quick google search suggests a R8070 upgrade kit would be around $1700. After installation and selling on the mechanical parts, net cost might be $1200ish??

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm

hamishm wrote:The price difference is $2500 (not $3500) but your point is still well made. The Di2 just goes with a premium feel which means they slap a much bigger margin on that bike.
Doh, and I am an accountant :-)

Actually it was a typo

My thought was to buy the Comp, but the DI2 and do a swap (anyone want a Ultegra groupset, unused ?)

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Newcastle Dave wrote:My thought was to buy the Comp, but the DI2 and do a swap (anyone want a Ultegra groupset, unused ?)
The facebook buy/sell groups are full of brand new groupsets removed from brand new bikes like this.

Still, retrofitting the Di2 will be a pain. Probably the frame is the same so you can run the Di2 cables internally, and inside the handlebars and up to the seatpost battery too. There's some stuffing around with the hydraulic brakes as well though. So you might chew up quite a bit of cash on workshop time.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:56 pm

hamishm wrote: ...... There's some stuffing around with the hydraulic brakes as well though. So you might chew up quite a bit of cash on workshop time.
I thought I could buy a bleed kit and whatever else I needed and use it as a learning exercise as well

and then spend even more on workshop time getting them to fix whatever I stuff :D

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm

hamishm wrote:
Newcastle Dave wrote:My thought was to buy the Comp, but the DI2 and do a swap (anyone want a Ultegra groupset, unused ?)
The facebook buy/sell groups are full of brand new groupsets removed from brand new bikes like this.

Still, retrofitting the Di2 will be a pain. Probably the frame is the same so you can run the Di2 cables internally, and inside the handlebars and up to the seatpost battery too. There's some stuffing around with the hydraulic brakes as well though. So you might chew up quite a bit of cash on workshop time.
The handlebars are listed as coming with di2 holes on both options, and the discs themselves are already installed. But you are right that stuff like this can be fiddly and a time suck.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm

madmacca wrote:the discs themselves are already installed. But you are right that stuff like this can be fiddly and a time suck.
Yeah but they'll need work after the shifters are changed.