Picking a Road Bike For Ironman - Advice

grunyans

Picking a Road Bike For Ironman - Advice

Postby grunyans » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi All,

I am about to partake in an ironman for the first time and have a background in marathon running.

Obviously I need a bike and would prefer a road bike to a TT.

Could you please assist me with picking a second hand bike for around 2k that would be perfect for a 179cm male athlete?

I am a total novice in this area and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Any brands, models or advice on how to chose from the countless options?

Even if you have a link that would be great and I am based in WA.

Thank you in advance.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Picking a Road Bike For Ironman - Advice

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:49 pm

grunyans wrote:Hi All,

I am about to partake in an ironman for the first time and have a background in marathon running.

Could you please assist me with picking a second hand bike for around 2k that would be perfect for a 179cm male athlete?......

Without knowing which part of WA you're in, have located this Bianchi Impulso :

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maylands/men-s-bicycles/excellent-condition-bianchi-2015-impluso-w-shimano-105-10-speed/1199505922
as an example. Not necessarily saying this is the best option, just something that showed up. Think the price may be a fraction high, but also believe folding currency would get this down to $750-800 ish. Size is about right, components fine for use. There was also a Giant Propel which would be even more fit for purpose but seller wanted $1990, and wouldn't be an ideal road bike for use afterwards.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/innaloo/men-s-bicycles/giant-popel-advanced-carbon-ultegra/1199512816
Mmm, SunTour

MattyK

Re: Picking a Road Bike For Ironman - Advice

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:37 pm

grunyans wrote:Hi All,

Good on you! Good luck.

I disagree with this decision. You're going to be on a bike racing for 5-6 hours, you'll want it to be comfortable.
And fast :twisted:

Could you please assist me with picking a second hand bike for around 2k that would be perfect for a 179cm male athlete?
I am a total novice in this area and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Any brands, models or advice on how to chose from the countless options?
Even if you have a link that would be great and I am based in WA.
Thank you in advance.

Join the Triathlon Marketplace facebook group and post a wanted ad there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1482080418683749/