Brooks Cambium C13

Cycleops70

Brooks Cambium C13

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Folks,

I've successfully been using a Cambium C15 Carved in a drop bar 'do everything bike' I use for winter rides (mudguards), gravel, bikepacking Etc. And I've found it very good for distance.

It seems different from other saddles in the way that a normal saddle will start comfortable & get progressively more uncomfortable as time goes on.
The C15 starts slightly uncomfortable but doesn't get any worse.

So I'm considering getting a C13 (145) for my 2013 Giant Defy Compsite 2

But.... I'm not sure about compatibility of seat post & carbon oval rails.

This is the bike
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/defy-composite-2-2013

Does anyone have any experience of the C13 or knowledge of rail/seatpost compatibility?

LateStarter

Re: Brooks Cambium C13

Postby LateStarter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:53 pm

I would also appreciate any feedback on the C13 (likely I would go for the 158). I got a C17 (carved) in 2015 and while I used it for 5-6,000kms and it was my fastest saddle for up to 80-100kms it was painful to agonising with too much sit bone pressure for longer. Earlier this year I saw a few comments that the "all weather" more recent versions were "more compliant". Seeing a reasonable cheap one (C17 Carved AW) on a German on-line store I got it and can agree that it is less hard, more compliant / flexible and more comfortable. I have used this one for about 1,500 kms but still nothing over 105 but it did not give any hint of problems if I went further. I saw the same "more compliant" comments in regard to the C13 so maybe they have fiddled with the rubber thickness or composition of recent versions. The C13 does have 7x9mm carbon rails, many seatpost clamps will work with either the 7x7 or 7x9, Thompson being one although they also have an optional 7x9 clamp (more so for the "setback" post) which is said to allow a greater saddle tilt down if you do such things. I will push up the distance on the C17 all weather in the hope it remains comfortable for the long run

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:22 pm

I have both original and all-weather C17’s. I definitely don’t agree that the all-weather is more compliant than the original. Just the opposite in fact - the all-weather feels harder to me.

Also, from long experience with Brooks saddles, the narrow the saddle the harder.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Well I ordered one. I should get it next week.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 am

I will be interested in your opinion, the C13s look to be more level front to back without the higher rear up-kick, seem to be a better shape.

Ron, I guess we will have to put the difference perceptions between our original C17s vs All Weathers down to individual or saddle batch variations as we seem to see (and feel) complete opposites.

I notice that Selle Anatomica are also now pre selling (for shipment in 3-6 months?) a rubber model (R2) of their leather saddle. After 3 of their leather ones over the last 5 years I had pretty much given up on them as they stretched out completely in an fairly short time including their most recent H2 with was advertised for longer distance riders who might have stretched out the other models but which was the worst of the 3 I had.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am

LateStarter wrote:I notice that Selle Anatomica are also now pre selling (for shipment in 3-6 months?) a rubber model (R2) of their leather saddle. After 3 of their leather ones over the last 5 years I had pretty much given up on them as they stretched out completely in an fairly short time including their most recent H2 with was advertised for longer distance riders who might have stretched out the other models but which was the worst of the 3 I had.

This sounds like the same kind of issue many Cambium users have experienced. I have had two C17's replaced under warranty because they stretched, some users have reported their saddle snapped just behind the nose. Other forum members have also had this problem. If you have an original Cambium and see a line appearing across the nose, it is going to snap there eventually.

I suspect the All-Weather Cambium was introduced to fix the problems with the original version, without actually admitting there is a problem, and the rubber used for the new version is tougher and harder.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:11 pm

I have a C13 saddle, purchased in Jan and have had no issues and used in all weather. Have done back to back to back 250+ rides with just merino boxers and hiking shorts and again no issues. would buy a few more for other bikes if I could afford to, but then other bikes dont get used for long rides
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:49 am

So it arrived a while ago, but I've not been able to test it out until this morning.
It weighed in at 276g which by coincidence was exactly the same as the SDG I took off.

No problems fitting.

I got out for a 30Km ride this morning & it felt great.
I think I got the position just about spot on (I took measurements of the old saddle first).
I made just 1-2mm adjustments when I got home.
I won't be able to get out for another week, for a longer ride, but for now it seems to be a good buy.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I was planning on doing 100Km this morning, but wasn't feeling so good, so I did 73Km
The saddle was great. It felt as comfortable at the end of the ride as it did at the start.
Saddles are a very personal thing, but I would highly recommend the C13 as long as the price doesn't put you off.