How much is this worth

JitterBugs

How much is this worth

Postby JitterBugs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

First post here so please go easy. Not sure if this is right board but its the closest I could find.

I've got a 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 58cm Ultegra I need to sell to buy a mtb and would like to know roughly what you think its worth. I want to sell quickly.

Its barely been used so the frame and handlebars and seat are in excellent condition (I literally used it about 10-15 times) . The chain has rusted slightly from sitting covered in garage for years unused.

What do you think its worth?

10speedsemiracer

Re: How much is this worth

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 pm

JitterBugs wrote:Hi Everyone,

First post here so please go easy. Not sure if this is right board but its the closest I could find.

I've got a 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 58cm Ultegra I need to sell to buy a mtb and would like to know roughly what you think its worth. I want to sell quickly.

Its barely been used so the frame and handlebars and seat are in excellent condition (I literally used it about 10-15 times) . The chain has rusted slightly from sitting covered in garage for years unused.

What do you think its worth?
Probably worth either giving the chain a clean/degrease/lubew or throwing a new chain on it, just from a presentation perspective. I imagine $1200>$1300-odd sees it get sold quickly, but could pull $1600 or so if you were patient.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 pm

500-600 dollars IF you can get it. Personally I dont like your chances
No-one wants
a) 10 speed
b ) second hand carbon
c ) a 6 year old bike
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchl ... id=3040669

JitterBugs

Postby JitterBugs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 am

Thanks guys.

I'd sell it for $1000-1200 but at $500-600 id rather just keep it.

How come people dont want second hand carbon or 10 speed?

If i had use for it i wouldnt mind picking up $4-5k bike thats few years old but unused for $1k. It might be few years old but still looks awesome, is super light and rigid/fast.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 am

JitterBugs wrote:
If i had use for it i wouldnt mind picking up $4-5k bike thats few years old but unused for $1k. It might be few years old but still looks awesome, is super light and rigid/fast.
It is worth what someone is willing to pay you. If I were in the market for a $1000 bike I would look at it. Changing the chain is a good idea, potential buyers would most likely be cyclists with perhaps a year's experience looking to upgrade, and you don't want to give them anything negative to focus on. Put it on E-bay or Gumtree. Take pictures and make it look as good as you can. Stress in your description that it has done little work, and explain why.

I have two fairly similar spec bikes, one with a ten speed hub and one with eleven, and there is virtually no difference in how they feel on the road. The second hand carbon angle is possibly more important. There is a perception that if carbon frames fail, they can do so without warning, and nobody wants their frame to give out suddenly at 40 kph. The best way to counter this is to present a bike that is clearly well cared for (assuming that it is).

JitterBugs

Postby JitterBugs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:23 am

Ok cool, thanks, makes sense. And I'll take your advice and do the chain and quick service.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 am

Personally, I wouldn't even look at it unless you had documentation confirming you are original purchaser. I wouldn't touch a carbon frame with 2 or more owners.
People shy away from 10 speed now because 11 speed has been the standard for years and the two are incompatible.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:41 am

Id be thinking about 1000 or just over would be about right, buying a second hand carbon holds no fears for me if you have a look at it and its been looked after, i dont quite understand peoples fears fully, i was skeptical initially, but after owning a carbon roadie and MTB both second i would not shy away from one.

For me the biggest one would be the 10sp, purely coz, i dont mind going in the hills, so the extra gear does make a difference for me.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 am

Goods that are not used deteriorate quicker than those which are used.
This goes for anything mechanical - cars, appliances etc etc.

I bought a bike which was new but had sat in a dusty shed for 8 years.
The shifters and brake levers had dust infiltration and wouldn't work properly, The grease in the bottom bracket and head tube had dried out. The chain although not looking physically rusty wouldn't function properly. The bike had been leaning on the rear derailleur for all those 8 years and the cage was bent.

If you have visible rust on the chain - what is there that can't be seen?

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 am

I don't think this has ever happened before, but I agree with Derny on this one. If I were buying it, I'd pay 500. The running gear is all going to have to get replaced in the near future. Consumables like chain, cables, bartape are all ready for the bin. Drivetrain and group are 2 generations old and out of favour. Anything with bearings in it probably needs to be dismantled and serviced. Basically, to me at least, it's a cool frame that might have a few salvageable bits attached to it.

That said, it's worth what you can get for it. Someone will probably naively pay $1000+ and I reckon you'd be getting a pretty good deal as the seller in that one.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:12 am

march83 wrote:I don't think this has ever happened before, but I agree with Derny on this one....
hahaha too funny mate :D :)

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:30 pm

JitterBugs wrote:Thanks guys.

I'd sell it for $1000-1200 but at $500-600 id rather just keep it.

How come people dont want second hand carbon or 10 speed?

Just as there are a few different opinions here of what people will pay, so there will be in the general public. Secondhand carbon is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but some people will still be interested (and you only need one). I'd try advertising it at the upper end of the range of mentioned above and see if you get any bites.

I think the main reason why second hand bikes often don't fetch a lot of money these days is that bike manufactures are pretty savvy in the way they make enough changes, from year to year, so that anything more than a few years old seems out of date. If you go back a few decades when bikes didn't change very much from year to year, s/h bikes held their value a lot better.

Also, although your bike is probably higher quality, entry level carbon is only about $1500 these days. And that's about 8.0 kg and 22 (11) speed. https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... -carbon-ro

That's what you're up against. You've got the better brand name, but they've got the new bike with no concerns of any hidden wear or damage, and a new bike warranty.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:58 pm

JitterBugs wrote:Its barely been used so the frame and handlebars and seat are in excellent condition (I literally used it about 10-15 times) . The chain has rusted slightly from sitting covered in garage for years unused.
Assuming it's all true, then stress the following in your ad:

- bought from new, only one owner
- never raced or crashed
- always stored indoors/under cover
- never ridden in bad weather
- new chain and lube just put on

Second hand buyer's are searching for "the holy grail" of all those things. A high spec bike that was bought, the original owner didn't end up using it for whatever reason, it's sat unused for years, and now they just want to get rid of it so there's a chance to snag a bargain.

Amend the list of features as they pertain to you and your bike :)

Lots of detailed up close photos also reassure people you're not trying to hide anything. I've gone to inspect some bikes on Gumtree that only had low res full bike photos, and when I saw them up close I said thanks but no thanks. The more detail in the ad and photos, the more the buyer thinks you're a fellow bike nerd and not a scammer who knows nothing about bikes.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Regarding the chain, I wouldn't waste money on buying new stuff to sell secondhand. It will have bugger-all wear, so try just rubbing it down with some oil. Leave it on for a while to soak in, then clean it off and lube it properly. Chances it will come up just fine.

If it still looks like crap then sure, put a new one on. But most of the time minor chain rust rubs off pretty easily with just a bit of oil.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 pm

JitterBugs wrote:I'd sell it for $1000-1200...
Seems like you have answered your own question. List it on Gumtree and see how you go.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:03 pm

I've had a think about this since I posted, and had a look around. Still think $1200-ish is reasonable however the issues with seller claims of 'hardly used' or 'never raced' is that these are almost impossible to verify. Sort of like the claims by used car sellers of 'country kms' etc. The other issue regarding BlueBook values as quoted by DernyDriver (no offence intended DD) is that a/ the values are listed in USD and relate to the US market and b/ is a mechanism for bikes to be traded via their trading partners (again US-specific) so values are often lower than market.

List it on Gumtree and BikeExchange for $1200 neg and see what happens.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:57 pm

If you are in Melbourne, you can take it to Alchemy in Wantirna. They sell bikes on consignment. They will appraise it and tell you how much they would put it on the market for.
You don’t actually need to sell it via them but at least it would give you a fair idea of pricing.

They have some Cannondale CAAD’s out there now.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:21 pm

With Ultegra and convert to Aus dollars and your looking at $900-$1100 if it is mint. Make sure its super clean and ready to run.
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchl ... id=3056512

JitterBugs

Postby JitterBugs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Fyi someone bought it for $1150

There were a lot of offers around the $800-$950 mark.

It wasnt even well advertised. Just ebay and a low ranking page on gumtree.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:00 pm

JitterBugs wrote:Fyi someone bought it for $1150

There were a lot of offers around the $800-$950 mark.

It wasnt even well advertised. Just ebay and a low ranking page on gumtree.
Well done and good result

Hi

Postby Hi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:41 pm

How much is this worth about to buy guy said worth 1000
Any advice?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Tell him he's dream'in

Currently rebel sport are selling a current model Flight Trail 1 for $400. That is a new Trail 1.

The online ads for second hand are well under this from a reasonable $120 to an over the top $320. The frame design also suggests that it is a smaller size, perhaps for kids and not an adult.

In any case, stay well away as the seller is seriously mislead if they think this second hand bike is worth over double the purchase price. Go for a better brand of second hand bike as well... Flight a bit too close to 'supermarket' bikes.
Cycling is in my BNA