Hunt Aerolight disc or Prime RR28 disc

booge

Hunt Aerolight disc or Prime RR28 disc

Postby booge » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Just purchased a new road frame running thru axle disc brakes. Searching for a wheel set now and was seriously considering -

Hunt Aerolight disc wheels: $740 + 10%GST weigh 1498gm, alu rims, thru axle and tubeless out of the box
OR
Prime RR28 disc carbon: $665 (Wiggle on sale 50% off) no GST to pay, weigh 1634, carbon rims, come with thru axle conversion kit and tubeless ready out of the box.

Does anyone have any experience with these particular wheels or brands? Or know of other decent similar price spec wheels? Was trying to get as light as i can but would i really notice 130 grams between these wheels??? I'm currently riding Campag Eurus wheels on my old roadie which are nice and light.
Hunt are kind of a new brand so unsure of longevity as are the Prime wheels but I know Wiggle are great sorting out issues with products if they arise.
I'm waiting on a chat with TWE wheels soon to see what he can do also.

madmacca

Re: Hunt Aerolight disc or Prime RR28 disc

Postby madmacca » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm

No personal experience, just some thoughts at looking at the same wheels.

The Hunt's are impressively light for that price point, but they don't test particularly well from an aero perspective https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1439085
(noting that it is the rim brake version being tested, and at different depths.

Also, the Hunts are 22mm wide externally, which increases the aero penalty if you want to run 25 or even 28 mm tyres on them.

For the same price as the Hunts (incl. GST), you could get the Prime RR-38s, which are both deeper and wider than the Hunts, but with a 250g weight penalty. For most uses, aero trumps weight in wheels, and 38mm depth shouldn't pose a huge problem in crosswinds.

booge

Postby booge » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:20 pm

I'd looked at some slightly deeper wheels but I really don't think i need the extra aero gains if i'm really honest with myself! They would look cooler though!

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:46 pm

booge wrote:I'd looked at some slightly deeper wheels but I really don't think i need the extra aero gains if i'm really honest with myself! They would look cooler though!

Aesthetics > Aero > Weight. :D

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm

I've got Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc on my CX bike. Obviously a different wheel to what you are looking at, but I've been happy so far after 6 months. All the comments around the company seem to praise their customer service.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

booge

Postby booge » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 pm

The 4 season road disc is another compelling option, great weight cheaper still. I'm torn.