First Road Bike - All feel a bit weird when riding.

fergy1987

First Road Bike - All feel a bit weird when riding.

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:31 pm

So I am looking at getting my first road bike and coming from flat bars I have found road bikes feel a bit weird. From the lower body positioning, to the further reach its all pretty foreign somehow.

Everything I read says to test ride a bunch of bikes and find the bike that feels amazing, but when they are all so unfamiliar to me, how do you pick the best one. I'm struggling to work out if a bike is a bad "fit" for me, or I'm just not used to it and after a while it will be amazing. I have limited myself to "Endurance" style bikes because anything more racey I assume will be no good.

I recently road a Canyon Endurace while in Germany of which they measured me and sized me up etc, and at first I had the same odd feeling, and it felt like I was sitting almost on the nose of the saddle. I am not sure if that's just because I instinctively try and get into a more upright position so I am not allowing myself to bend at the back and pushing my butt further back. I'm worried to bite the bullet on the Canyon because part of me tells me its just a matter of getting used to, while the other part is telling me it's the wrong bike. I loved the bike itself and would love to add it to my collection (of 1 bike) but my inexperience is a concern when spending that kind of money.

Any advice for a first time road bike purchaser. Is this a common feeling or do I need to look further into why this is the case.

MichaelB

Re: First Road Bike - All feel a bit weird when riding.

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Takes a bit of getting used to, but also need to make sure where you buy it from does a proper bike fit for you.

That way, it will make sure you're set up properly

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Yeah my advice would be take your time and persist with your test rides. One you like will eventually raise its head (when I first looked the Giant Defy did it for me and ticked enough boxes). Maybe stick with the endurance bikes (which just really means long headtubes for a more upright position and longer chain stays for stability) but plenty of endurance bikes are setup to be racey with their stems slammed to the frame without any spacers (which the Canyon you tested might of been like) so if you like your upright position find an endurance frame with plenty of spacers underneath the stem to raise the handlebars.

And if at the end of the day the dropbar isn't your thing then it doesn't really matter if you aren't having any probs. Lots of fast flatbar road bikes around that overtake me on a commute (then again lots of old guys on little Brompton's lately overtaking me as well! Man, those guys rock! :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm

I'd only ever ridden basic rigid or hardtail mountain bikes for all my riding life, so the first time I got on a road bike, yes the body positioning was chalk and cheese. However the sense of speed got me hooked :) I'm not very flexible but had no problems adjusting, apart from slight shoulder and neck muscle adjustment on longer rides. No problems nowadays though.

If you're coming from a flat bar hybrid/MTB, there'll be less of that "sense of speed", just a less comfortable position.

Why do you want to change to drops? I think they're brilliant, but as rodneycc said, there are lots of very fast flat bar road bike options available if you just can't get comfortable. Even a properly fitted road bike is going to be very different to an upright bike and some people simply don't like them.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi had the same feeling as you when I first got my road bike. I didn't seem to have the same reach type issue/feeling as by the time I got my first road bike I was on a very agressive slammed MTB anyway, but just the different hand position and very narrow bars felt very strange.
Size wise I just started out with what was recomended for my hight by the manufacturer and then backed up by the staff at the bike shop.

As said the main issue for me was going to the different bars, first time I stood up to power I almost stacked the thing because it felt so unstable side to side lol.
In the end got used to it very quickly and love the bike.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:18 pm

chriso_29er wrote:...just the different hand position and very narrow bars felt very strange....
I've had the opposite, going from my old MTB and then a road bike, my new MTB with ~740mm bars feels crazy wide :)
As said the main issue for me was going to the different bars, first time I stood up to power I almost stacked the thing because it felt so unstable side to side lol.
The first time I ever rode a road bike was when I was maybe 20. When I stood up out of the saddle, I was so far over the front wheel compared to MTB positioning that I almost went OTB. Scared the bleep out of me :mrgreen:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

kb

Postby kb » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm

chriso_29er wrote:Hi had the same feeling as you when I first got my road bike. I didn't seem to have the same reach type issue/feeling as by the time I got my first road bike I was on a very agressive slammed MTB anyway, but just the different hand position and very narrow bars felt very strange.
Size wise I just started out with what was recomended for my hight by the manufacturer and then backed up by the staff at the bike shop.

In the end got used to it very quickly and love the bike.
Had a similar problem standing the first time I went from 42mm bars to 38mm. In my defence, the wheel was also a touch shorter and it was a 38% poor asphalt hill :-).

Best thing I found for getting used to a racier feel was borrowing a friend’s bike for a couple of weeks.

Edit: er.. not wheel, wheelbase

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Mububban wrote: Why do you want to change to drops? I think they're brilliant, but as rodneycc said, there are lots of very fast flat bar road bike options available if you just can't get comfortable. Even a properly fitted road bike is going to be very different to an upright bike and some people simply don't like them.
I think its just the logical next step, I went from a MTB to a flat bar and I am just getting bored of the flat bar - it seems sluggish now and just doesn't do anything for me. I find that I actually ride less now because nothing excites me to get on the bike. It was a budget buy at the time 7 years ago and after trying these bikes with disc brakes and 105 shifting which shift so damn smooth.......my bike is garbage haha :P - I think once I get my confidence up and fitness back I would like to get more involved in the cycling community with group rides etc. I have always wanted to do the Brisbane to Gold Coast....but never had the equipment. So a road bike to me is the next step to achieving any of that :)

After looking around I had it narrowed down to the Canyon Endurace 7 Disc, Giant Contend SL1 Disc, and the Cannondale Synapse (which I have ruled out since its mechanical disc at a premium price). And even my pros and cons list only kind of helps haha

Canyon Pros
- 105 all over
- Hydraulic Brakes
- Great Colour Scheme
- Wheelset trumps Giant

Canyon Cons
- No local service
- Headset bearings are apparently a PITA to change
- Pricey compared to the Contend (which nearly puts me in the Defy Advanced territory if a good deal was to be had)

Giant Pros
- Price
- Lifetime Warranty on frame and local support

Giant Cons
- Colour Scheme is..........not great
- Semi Hydraulic Disc

I think I would be happy on the Giant.........but part of me feels like I would always have in the back of my head that I should have gone with the Canyon. I think part of me also just likes the story of visiting the factory in Germany, and then buying the bike I rode there......an expensive souvenir of my travels :P

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:17 pm

fergy1987 wrote: I think I would be happy on the Giant.........but part of me feels like I would always have in the back of my head that I should have gone with the Canyon. I think part of me also just likes the story of visiting the factory in Germany, and then buying the bike I rode there......an expensive souvenir of my travels :P
If you are coming from MTB, go for the canyon - no questions. Full hydro setup is really nice - much nicer than semi-hydro.

If you have been fitted at the factory in Germany, I rekon just go with that. You can still do happy or slammed stems in roadie world so minor adjustments will happen anyway.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:21 pm

fergy1987 wrote: I think I would be happy on the Giant.........but part of me feels like I would always have in the back of my head that I should have gone with the Canyon. I think part of me also just likes the story of visiting the factory in Germany, and then buying the bike I rode there......an expensive souvenir of my travels :P
FWIW I bought the Contend SL1 in its first model year (black with orange) as my first road bike, as it made me grin like a fool on a test ride :D And then of course I started second guessing myself and looking at the Canyon website and thinking "what if...." :mrgreen:

But 2 years and a few thousand kms later, I've done commuting, group rides, a couple of challenging hills sportives, and the bike has been faultless. I did upgrade the stock wheels though.

As to the semi-hydro brakes - apart from the lost real estate on the handlebars, I've also had no problems with these. Level action is light and smooth, braking is light and easy, and I now have a MTB with full hydraulic disk brakes, and they aren't a world away from my road bike. So I wouldn't worry about the brake feel or stopping power.

But I do still find myself browsing that Canyon website from time to time :D

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Yeah I think Im going to have to buy the Canyon to prevent the what ifs.....worst case, sell it and buy the Giant lol. I might see if I can hold out for a Canyon sale though lol

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Yeah I think Im going to have to buy the Canyon to prevent the what ifs.....worst case, sell it and buy the Giant lol. I might see if I can hold out for a Canyon sale though lol
$1800 for the Giant Contend SL1 vs $2400 delivered for the Canyon....weights look almost identical. Giant has a compact 50-34 crank and 11-34 cassette, Canyon uses a 52-36 and 11-34 so the Giant will crawl up steep climbs a bit easier. Depends on your leg strength and planned riding terrain. I'm skinny and not fast, but I like spinning up hills, so I like my compact. I don't need top end speed!

I'm not sure the Canyon is worth $600 more comparing like for like. However the AL7 always gets rave reviews, and I did spend $800 upgrading the stock Giant wheels with 1550g Prime carbon 38s, so it depends on whether those Mavic Aksium Elite discs are significantly better than the Giant PR-2 rims. If the budget isn't a problem, maybe get the Canyon so you never have those "what if's" and be proud you own something a bit different :)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Gears can be changed with relatively little effort and cost. Wheels as well, albeit with a bit more money. The main thing to consider is the frame itself (yes aesthetic is a legitimate reason) but also the fact that you can't easily or cheaply change from a cable pull brake to a full hydraulic one. At the least you are looking at $500 + a lot of labor.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:00 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Any advice for a first time road bike purchaser. Is this a common feeling or do I need to look further into why this is the case.
Yes, being hunched over takes some getting used to.
As I said in another thread , despite the fashion for slammed stems and crunched cockpits there's no requirement for your bars to be stupid low.

Set your drops up so you are comfortable and adjust as you see fit and how it suits the riding you're doing.

Most bikes can be set up with the bars at a variety of heights: this roadbike neophyte started off with the bars very high before eventually ending up with a conventional, traditional set up with the bars at seat height.

The modern racing fashion is for bars well below the seat - so low that no-one rides in the drops anymore. And the drops have become much more shallow to compensate.

More discusion here Changing Positions by RetroGrouch
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm

I work a month on month off FIFO, and everytime I get back on my road bike I feel all weird and its uncomfortable. Stretched out and too low. Takes a couple of rides for me to get used to it, then it all fits right and I ride well after that.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Thoglette wrote:The modern racing fashion is for bars well below the seat - so low that no-one rides in the drops anymore. And the drops have become much more shallow to compensate.

Really? I didn't know. I see lots of people riding bikes with bars set very low, and using the drops.

I'm sure I also ride a lot using the drops, my bike is also set up with the bars very low. A lot of people I ride with also use the drops a lot. I'm no elite rider, but it feels safer that way - especially going quickly.

For a lot of people getting into riding, I think not using the drops is more than a road bike is just uncommon to ride in the first place - over time they get used to it and then use the different positions available from the handlebars when they feel at ease doing so.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Been slowly bringing down my bars as my flexibility has improved.
At the moment I minimise time in the drops because of my hip injury.
Once that is cleared I will be on them more again.

I think riders get in the habit of riding on the hoods because they feel they can cover the brakes better riding in groups or traffic

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
I think riders get in the habit of riding on the hoods because they feel they can cover the brakes better riding in groups or traffic
You get better braking from using the drops because you have better leverage on the brake levers. You are also lower on the bike (more stable) and bumps are less likely to bounce your hands off the bars.

You don't get better ability to cover the brakes from the hoods. If the brake levers feel too far to reach, you can adjust the levers to suit.

You can adjust the height of the stem with some spacers or perhaps flip the stem (if you have a minus angled one) to give a bit more height in the case you are getting over injury and don't feel so flexible.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thoglette wrote:The modern racing fashion is for bars well below the seat - so low that no-one rides in the drops anymore. And the drops have become much more shallow to compensate.

Really? I didn't know. I see lots of people riding bikes with bars set very low, and using the drops.

I'm sure I also ride a lot using the drops, my bike is also set up with the bars very low.

For a lot of people getting into riding, I think not using the drops is more than a road bike is just uncommon to ride in the first place - over time they get used to it and then use the different positions available from the handlebars when they feel at ease doing so.
Your photos are of professional cyclists G.
Grab a photo of a B or C grade crit in Sydney and see all the numpties cornering on the hoods. Its bizarre.
Cornering, descending and braking should all be done in the drops. Riding on the hoods gives you next to no control, no road feel, and a high centre of gravity. Its the cause of most crashes in bunch races.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Arbuckle23 wrote:
You get better braking from using the drops because you have better leverage on the brake levers. You are also lower on the bike (more stable) and bumps are less likely to bounce your hands off the bars.

You don't get better ability to cover the brakes from the hoods. If the brake levers feel too far too reach, you can adjust the levers to suit.
braking is better on the drops, but I think what Arbuckle is referring to is the perception that its better on the hoods as the normal hand position covers the brakes.

It certainly took me a while to start feeling comfortable riding on the drops and finally getting/reach adjust shims to make the reach shorter was definitely the game changer.

I ride with quite a few "newbie" cyclists who are fit from running and the way the shops set their levers up on the handlebars, I am not surprised they think the drops are for looks and have no functional use.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 pm

eeksll wrote: I think what Arbuckle is referring to is the perception that its better on the hoods as the normal hand position covers the brakes.
Correct :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Mububban wrote:I've had the opposite, going from my old MTB and then a road bike, my new MTB with ~740mm bars feels crazy wide :)
Ha! The bars on my trail bike are 800 wide. Feels great on the techy downs. Now, if I could just get the stupid trees to stop jumping out in front of me!