Which saddle width?

Mersch

Which saddle width?

Postby Mersch » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:16 am

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a new saddle and am not sure which width to buy.

I measured my sit bones and they are 110mm, I've read you should add on 20-25mm. Do this mean I should buy a saddle which is 134mm or 143mm?

Thanks for your help.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Which saddle width?

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:40 am

Width suggestions are a guide only. Overall shape of the saddle plays a much more significant role in comfort. Not very helpful I know, but try as many different saddles as you need to, as different saddles of the same nominal width will vary greatly in shape. Internet recommendations are not worth a pinch of ant poo, because we're all different; what one person will swear by, someone else will swear at.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Re: Which saddle width?

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Been researching this myself and it's tough. After having a lot of pain in the upper glutes, very lower back, a professional bike fit, a good friend triathlete look at my set up I caught up with another friend whose philosophy was comfort over areo at all costs said "why don't we try the saddle". Took the one off his Watt bike and went for a 40klm ride and I pulled up better than I ever have, I notices muscle fatigue/soreness in the inner thighs after a while but put that down to just a different shape I'm not used to .

Anyhoo turns out it is a Fizik Aliante R3 Large (155mm). In theory based on Fizik's site this is for the least flexible rider type, I would fit their most flexible model. I'm now trying to figure out whether the large is ideal or I'd be better with regular. I measure 120mm as best I can tell so would think regular but who the hell knows. Seems to be a very inexact science this saddle business.