Tyre suggestions

Rawshack

Tyre suggestions

Postby Rawshack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi everyone

So, as I posted in another thread, I've recently moved from a trek flatbar hybrid to the Giant Contend 1. Even after a week, I am loving riding on the drop bars and apart from a couple of niggles with the gears, loving the bike

However, when I bought it, I - due in part to some nerves going to drops - I opted for 28mm Gatorskins. The Trek was packing 35mm Bontranger tyres that weren't so much a tyre as a caterpillar track for a large bore Panzer tank.

So, I have the Gatorskins on and I can't say I am loving them. They seem heavy and clumbersome and ironically, I don't feel like that they have a huge amount of grip, but that could quite easily still be some inherent nerves from riding a road bike.

Any suggestions for an alternate tyre? Commuting is my bread and butter...

Ta

10speedsemiracer

Re: Tyre suggestions

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Rawshack wrote:Hi everyone

So, as I posted in another thread, I've recently moved from a trek flatbar hybrid to the Giant Contend 1. Even after a week, I am loving riding on the drop bars and apart from a couple of niggles with the gears, loving the bike

However, when I bought it, I - due in part to some nerves going to drops - I opted for 28mm Gatorskins. The Trek was packing 35mm Bontranger tyres that weren't so much a tyre as a caterpillar track for a large bore Panzer tank.

So, I have the Gatorskins on and I can't say I am loving them. They seem heavy and clumbersome and ironically, I don't feel like that they have a huge amount of grip, but that could quite easily still be some inherent nerves from riding a road bike.

Ta
Like you, I'm not a Gatorskin fan. Continental GP4000 are the generally accepted sweet spot between grip, durability and puncture-resistance although I've had good experience with Vittoria tyres and even a Maxxis Re-fuse in 28mm. I'd suggest the Conti as a first option though..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:04 pm

There are lovers and virulent haters of Gatorskins, I haven't used them (and was turned off Continental altogether by the dreadful Ultrasport). I would go for 28mm Maxxis Refuse, since I switched to Refuse in 23/25/28 a few years ago I've had only a single puncture in something like 20,000kms. I certainly wouldn't call them slow either.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Rawshack wrote:Hi everyone

Ta
Rawshack - I've heard a lot of other people suggesting the Gatorskins don't have that much grip either, especially be cautious in rainy conditions.

I commute on S-Works Turbo 26C tyres, but before those I used Continental GP4000S II 25mm.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:39 pm

I think going from the Panzer Tank's to anything might take a bit of adjustment :-)
You'll prob find its not so much the Gator's (although I'm not a fan there isn't that much difference between Refuse/GP4000s or Gators imo for ride quality), The secret is more in the tyre pressures so maybe play around with the tyre pressures a bit. Around 80psi would be about right for the average person in average conditions on 28c tyres. 5psi more if you are a heavy rider. The Tyre pressures go up the skinnier tyres are.

The only real junk tyres I have ridden on are the Conti UltraSports (so I'm with LDR with those!). They are commonly used on new bikes sales which is just the complete opposite of what new cars do with putting good quality tyres on their vehicles.
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes the Gatorskins are terrible, especially in the wet. Moreover, I found they punctured as frequently as Vittoria Rubino Pros. The Continental GP4000s mentioned are highly regarded but for a commuting tyre you might want better puncture protection. I use Continental Grand Prix GTs in 28mm on one of my bikes and have been very happy with them. They have the black chilli compound so grip and rolling resistance are excellent but they provide better puncture protection than the 4000s.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:47 pm

I've never had any grip issues with Gators on my flatbar commuter, I don't often ride in the wet but if I get caught out I just back off and ride to the conditions. Tried GP4000s for a while on my drop bar roadie but had to many punctures so now use GP 4 seasons, a good compromise between Gators and GP4000s.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Rawshack wrote:Any suggestions for an alternate tyre? Commuting is my bread and butter...
Forget 28mm. 35x700c with a supple case construction. Or bigger if possible.

How fast do you want to spend? Top end: Challenge Strada Bianca; Compass Bon Jons super lightweight or anything else that's actually a real "open tubular".

Middle of the road: Maxxis Refuse; Panaracer Pasela or other Panaracer made specials (e.g. Soma's stuff). Hearing nice stuff about the Gravel King (vanilla) too.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Rawshack wrote:Any suggestions for an alternate tyre? Commuting is my bread and butter...
Forget 28mm. 35x700c with a supple case construction. Or bigger if possible.

How fast do you want to spend? Top end: Challenge Strada Bianca; Compass Bon Jons super lightweight or anything else that's actually a real "open tubular".

Middle of the road: Maxxis Refuse; Panaracer Pasela or other Panaracer made specials (e.g. Soma's stuff). Hearing nice stuff about the Gravel King (vanilla) too.
I don't believe the Contend has clearance for a tyre much wider than 28mm.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:31 pm

biker jk wrote:I don't believe the Contend has clearance for a tyre much wider than 28mm.
Ah, well spotted. I misread the original post. Lots of open tubular in 28mm: Vittoria Open Corsa for example.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:50 am

Gatorskins are quite slippery when very new due to the combination of the tread compound and the moulding release agent. While it's true they'll never have the grip of more race-oriented tyres, once they're scuffed in a bit the grip will improve to a level suitable for most riding, even in the wet (but don't throw then too hard into corners, even once worn in).

Like all tyres, you do need to learn the balance of compromise in their intent. They're not a super soft, sticky race tyre, so they trade grip and low rolling resistance for toughness, nor are they a heavy-duty but slow semi-solid tyre like the Schwalbe Marathon family. So you can look at them as either a tough moderately light tyre, or a light, moderately tough tyre, with less grip that your supple soft racies, or more grip than your average semi-solid commuter boots.

I happen to rather like the Gators; although I do hardly any non-commuting road riding these days (I found out that dirt is a lot more fun), my commute is entirely on-road, and the odd occasions I do ride elsewhere off the commute but on road are not aimed at setting any speed records, I've found the Gators to be extremely suitable for both purposes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

terryc

Postby terryc » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:44 am

Rawshack wrote: Any suggestions for an alternate tyre? Commuting is my bread and butter...

Ta
For commuting, which is mainly on sealed roads, I usually buy a tyre with a centre solid strip, or close to. I'm brand agnosticv, it is the tread pattern that matters to me.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:03 am

cjrich wrote:I've never had any grip issues with Gators on my flatbar commuter, I don't often ride in the wet but if I get caught out I just back off and ride to the conditions. Tried GP4000s for a while on my drop bar roadie but had to many punctures so now use GP 4 seasons, a good compromise between Gators and GP4000s.

I've been using the GP4 Seasons for ~4 years now.
Front tyres have travelled > 12,000kms. Rear tyre squared off around 6000kms and was replaced by Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
(My regular commuting route has a lot of broken glass, radial wires and other junk)

The GP4S is a good compromise between GP4000 and Gatorskin exactly like you mentioned.

If you want puncture protection then you can't go wrong with the Marathon Plus. But bear in mind that they are freakin heavy (~800g for my 32mm) and a royal pain to put on/off the rim when new. But they do provide a peace of mind. I'll never use them on my weekend bikes but certainly won't hesitate to replace them like-for-like on my commuter.

I've also had good luck with Maxxis Refuse (25mm) and Vittoria Rubino Pro (25mm). Both of them are inexpensive. Have not had punctures with either one of them, but then again I've not done as many miles on them as compared to the GP4S and SMP that are on my daily commuter.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:46 pm

I found gatorskins squirrely in the wet, even when riding slowly
I like the GP4000 ride, but threw away too many of them from side-hall damage
I'm currently using one of the Rubino Pros varieties, and they seem like a decent combo of toughness/ride/weight.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:19 pm

BikeBug have Maxxis Re-Fuse in 28mm for $33 http://www.bikebug.com/maxxis-re-fuse-f ... 15992.html so a good value option.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Rawshack wrote: ironically, I don't feel like that they have a huge amount of grip
Oh - check that you don't have them pumped up too hard. That's a quick way to get a squirrelly ride

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm

I've been commuting on Michelin Power Endurance all year and they seem fine. Handle fine and only had one puncture in around 5,000 KMs on that bike. I liked Marathon Supreme but they no longer come in 700 x 28.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:41 am

I've used Maxxis Re-Fuse 28's on my previous road bike with a 24 wide rim and they were bulletproof and ridiculously cheap. My new bike has a bit more clearance and in another thread I took Thoglette's advice on trying wider, Panaracer produced product (Soma Shikoro 700x42c) and oh my god, there is another level of comfort. Panaracer make Soma semislicks, Compass semislicks and their own Gravelking semislicks, I reckon you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them for comfort/grip but they are a little more expensive than Maxxis.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks everyone for all your comments... my friendly neighbourhood bike shop says I should stick with the gators, but I am not convinced. I'll buy the Maxxis for the price they are at (someone said $32) and give them a go. If they don't work out it's a low risk swap

Thanks again

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:23 pm

How do the Maxxis ReFuse go in the wet? I've currently got 23mm Gatorskins on a second hand bike I picked up, for riding around the neighbourhood with the kids AND specifically for going to Rottnest Island, usually in winter. So day to day normal footpath/road riding, but a real chance of riding on wet rough coarse chip roads over on Rottnest.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Can't help you with how Maxxis Re-Fuse go in the wet, if it's wet I would usually stay indoors sulking :cry:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Mububban wrote:How do the Maxxis ReFuse go in the wet?
It's been a few years but I don't remember anything special (one way or the other) about them in the wet.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:56 am

So, as something of an update, I decided to hang onto them for a couple of weeks and see if they might wear in after a couple of weeks...

They haven't and I feel more likely that the bike is going to slip out under me now than I did before. I'm going to change over to either the Refuses or the GP4000s this weekend

Al