Bike Build Recommendations - Melbourne Western Suburbs *** help with build ***

Defy The Odds

Bike Build Recommendations - Melbourne Western Suburbs *** help with build ***

Postby Defy The Odds » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 pm

G'day everyone,

I am building a bike at the moment and have pretty much gathered all my parts. I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a good shop which will take care of my bike without drying out my wallet ?

Somewhere western suburbs would be great, happy to travel up to the CBD for the right service/price.

TIA
Last edited by Defy The Odds on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Re: Bike Build Recommendations - Melbourne Western Suburbs

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:G'day everyone,

I am building a bike at the moment and have pretty much gathered all my parts. I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a good shop which will take care of my bike without drying out my wallet ?

Somewhere western suburbs would be great, happy to travel up to the CBD for the right service/price.

TIA
Have you thought about doing this yourself? It's not too hard.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:

TIA
I did, and still am considering it. I need a shop with a bottom bracket press to press in the BB so I can fit the spindles for the chainrings anyway. Was thinking of just using YouTube to put it together and then get the shop to put in the BB, Chainrings, Chain and then fine tune the gears ?

My other concern is mucking up the internal routing, especially losing the internal sheaths for the gear cables

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

TIA
I did, and still am considering it. I need a shop with a bottom bracket press to press in the BB so I can fit the spindles for the chainrings anyway. Was thinking of just using YouTube to put it together and then get the shop to put in the BB, Chainrings, Chain and then fine tune the gears ?

My other concern is mucking up the internal routing, especially losing the internal sheaths for the gear cables
What I do for internal cables is use a rare earth magnet to help guide those gear cables through (if they are metal ones) - the magnet will have enough strength (even with carbon fibre in between) to help guide the cable in the right place. Once the cables are through, you can put those sheaths around the cables. It is a little bit fiddly but not too bad.

Di2 cables are a bit more tricky, but still possible. Simple solution there is to use E-Tap, then you don't have that problem. ;) Why can't Shimano do something like that? (disclosure - my bikes have either mechanical gearing, Di2 or E-Tap).

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:57 pm

g-boaf wrote:

TIA
+1 for doing it yourself. Buying a BB press would still be cheaper than having an LBS assemble, and if the rest of the components are well matched it'll go together like Lego, just take your time. The other positive in doing it yourself is the connection you'll feel to the bike, i.e. it's a product of your own efforts...just my €0.01 worth

BikeBug have these for around $50 (http://www.bikebug.com/pro-bottom-brack ... 87153.html) depending on which style/type you need or prefer. I'm sure there are even cheaper available..
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:00 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

TIA
+1 for doing it yourself. Buying a BB press would still be cheaper than having an LBS assemble, and if the rest of the components are well matched it'll go together like Lego, just take your time. The other positive in doing it yourself is the connection you'll feel to the bike, i.e. it's a product of your own efforts...just my €0.01 worth

Absolutely right. I have this Park Tools set for bottom bracket installation:
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom ... -set-bbp-1

It is useful down the track, this stuff can be done yourself.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 pm

Or pop out to someplace like Ceres Bike Shed on a weekend, IMHO they're pretty well equipped for bike tools... $10/yr to join for using their premises & tools = bargain!

Defy The Odds

Re: Bike Build Recommendations - Melbourne Western Suburbs *** Help With Build ***

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:39 am

Ok folks I may attempt to have a go myself, except for the bottom bracket I may still get the shop to press that just because I don't want to ruin the frame.

What I would like your assistance with is whether or not I have the fork assembly correct. I'm pretty new to this so bear with me.

It seems there isnt a crown race for this setup as it may be integrated into the head tube. Below are some photos I took of the head tube which seems to have the headset bearings already pressed in. So my understanding is you slide the forks into the head tube and then slide the centring collar onto the forks, then top cap and then spacers then stem and finally expander plug with top cap?

Is this correct or am I missing something because this was all I was given when I ordered the frame from Specialized. Refer to photos below

Top of head tube:

Bottom of head tube (where it meets the forks):

Forks:

Centring collar:

Centring collar mounted to forks:

Expander plug:

Of course the stem would go between top of spacers and expander plug.

Does this look right?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Bike Build Recommendations - Melbourne Western Suburbs *** help with build ***

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:49 pm

The steerer tube on the fork has an integrated crown race.

You will need to cut the steerer to suit your final setup; play around with the stem height & spacer stack until you're happy; it hepls if you've got another bike to use as a benchmark to measure off. DO NOT ride the bike until you've cut the steerer and can properly tighten the headset. Similarly, while allowing some adjustability for stem height with a bit of extra steerer isn't a bad idea while you're tuning the setup, once you've got it dialled trim the steerer so the top cap is flush and the expander bung is inside the same bit of tube the the stem is clamped on. You can break the steerer if the expander is above the stem..

Looking at that bung, it appears to be the type that has a flange that sits on top of the cut edge of the steerer; when measuring to cut the steerer be sure to allow for the thickness of the flange so that when assembled the top of the bung is 2-3mm below the top of the stem - you need to ensure the top cap doesn't bottom out on it when tightening the headset. Also make sure the bung is firmly tightened; if it's too loose it will slip when the top cap is tightened, and you won't get proper tension.

It is very possible to fit press-fit bottom brackets without a press. all you need is a bench vice that can open wide enough, and a pair of plastic (offcuts from a nylon chopping board are ideal) or timber chocks to protect the housings from the steel vice jaws. Fit the housings by hand, you can usually push them in a little way to get them located. Get an assistant to stabilise the bike frame, fit the chocks between the bearing housings and vice jaws, then gently press the cups in. If there's a waterproofing sleeve that runs between the two housings (it'll be fitted to one housing before you put it in the frame) make sure it's aligning properly to slip into the opposite housing.

Depending on the cable routing, it may be better to get that done before fitting the BB.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Defy The Odds

Re: Bike Build Recommendations - Melbourne Western Suburbs *** help with build ***

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Duck! wrote:The steerer tube on the fork has an integrated crown race.

You will need to cut the steerer to suit your final setup; play around with the stem height & spacer stack until you're happy; it hepls if you've got another bike to use as a benchmark to measure off. DO NOT ride the bike until you've cut the steerer and can properly tighten the headset. Similarly, while allowing some adjustability for stem height with a bit of extra steerer isn't a bad idea while you're tuning the setup, once you've got it dialled trim the steerer so the top cap is flush and the expander bung is inside the same bit of tube the the stem is clamped on. You can break the steerer if the expander is above the stem..

Looking at that bung, it appears to be the type that has a flange that sits on top of the cut edge of the steerer; when measuring to cut the steerer be sure to allow for the thickness of the flange so that when assembled the top of the bung is 2-3mm below the top of the stem - you need to ensure the top cap doesn't bottom out on it when tightening the headset. Also make sure the bung is firmly tightened; if it's too loose it will slip when the top cap is tightened, and you won't get proper tension.

It is very possible to fit press-fit bottom brackets without a press. all you need is a bench vice that can open wide enough, and a pair of plastic (offcuts from a nylon chopping board are ideal) or timber chocks to protect the housings from the steel vice jaws. Fit the housings by hand, you can usually push them in a little way to get them located. Get an assistant to stabilise the bike frame, fit the chocks between the bearing housings and vice jaws, then gently press the cups in. If there's a waterproofing sleeve that runs between the two housings (it'll be fitted to one housing before you put it in the frame) make sure it's aligning properly to slip into the opposite housing.

Depending on the cable routing, it may be better to get that done before fitting the BB.
Thanks mate. I was hoping you'd chime in tbh lol. Always a wealth of knowledge.

I'm not planning on riding til I cut the steerer anyhow, still waiting on groupset. I have my existing roadie so I'll be trying to use it as a benchmark.

This is kind of fun and daunting at the same time lol