All rounder tyres recommendation to suit Fulcrum Quattro 17C

Deus_Ex_Machina

All rounder tyres recommendation to suit Fulcrum Quattro 17C

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:23 pm

So I have some new wheels en route for Christmas and will need some tyres for my CAAD8. Most of my riding is on local roads, the local crit and the very occasional triathlon (I'm lucky to be holding 31-32kph for 40klms at the moment, I'm not fast).

I think I'm a way off "race tyres" really being a limiting factor so am after an all rounder.

Conti 4000 seems to be the golden child but I'm also looking at

Schwalbe Durano Raceguard Folding (come in red and black too so get bonus points for matching my frame) and my CAAD came with the cheap Lugano which haven't given me any great troubles).

Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ also looks like a good all rounder but maybe a little quicker?

Or am I splitting hairs and they will all roll somewhat similar for a hack lol.

MattyK

Re: All rounder tyres recommendation to suit Fulcrum Quattro 17C

Postby MattyK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Conti GP4Ks are the benchmark, I can't fault them, but I've not tried the others.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Have had a set of Schwalbe Durano, disappointed. Am having good experience with various Vittoria tyres, currently have some Zaffiro Pro in 28mm on my training bike, love 'em. Think though that if you're doing some events, would think about the Corsa Control Graphene. Dearer than GP4 but faster..

Or wait for the GP5000 which Conti claim is faster and more durable etc etc. Won't be a cheap tyre though.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:....currently have some Zaffiro Pro in 28mm on my training bike, love 'em....
Do you normally ride 25mm? I'm assuming they're more comfortable at lower pressures, but can you feel any appreciable difference in speed with the 28s?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:17 am

Mububban wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:....currently have some Zaffiro Pro in 28mm on my training bike, love 'em....
Do you normally ride 25mm? I'm assuming they're more comfortable at lower pressures, but can you feel any appreciable difference in speed with the 28s?
I'm faster on the 28s, and braking is better.
Also much easier to fit than the Schwalbes, much less profanity.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 am

Can't be worse to fit than the steel bead lugano.

Sooooo many options lol. What Tims are you running the 28mm Zafiros on? I currently have 28 but they are on factory wheels which are 19C. Even then they are like light bulbs so must be a wide tyre. Also I wonderbif the corsa (non control) might be better for me being a fair weather rider lol.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 am

OK now the dilemma is 25 vs 28 lol. Happy with the 28mm currently but they are on 19C wheels, newies will be 17C.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Can't be worse to fit than the steel bead lugano.

Sooooo many options lol. What Tims are you running the 28mm Zafiros on? I currently have 28 but they are on factory wheels which are 19C. Even then they are like light bulbs so must be a wide tyre. Also I wonderbif the corsa (non control) might be better for me being a fair weather rider lol.
My 28s are on custom 19mm internal rims, 25s are on a set of Fulcrums (17mm ?) , I very much doubt I'll be going back to 25s. And yes the wire bead Lugano was the tyre that made me buy Pedro's tyre levers

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Ahh OK so I'm an idiot and the current Lugano's are 25C (28.00x1.00 in brackets) on 19C rims and the clearance under the calipers tells me 28C is prob out of the question.

So I have poo pood the Durano and am down to:

Conti 4000 or
Schwalbe One V Guard.

I don't do a tonne of klms, my racing is not that fast and I tend to ride in decent weather so I'm thinking the One's will be fast and tough enough for my daily use. I also like to be a bit different and the red stripe is sexy and matches my red/black colour scheme I have going on lol.

As usual I figure I'm prob overthinking for what I do and both will probably preform admirably.One's are about $90 a pair.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 pm

I have the same wheels and have been running standard Conti Grand Prix's 25mm, they been fine and had about 1 puncture in the 2 years I've been running them. They roll well, a hell of a lot better than the Durano's (sluggish rolling) which both failed prematurely due to a sidewall failure in one and a big hole in the other.
No signature

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Ahh OK so I'm an idiot and the current Lugano's are 25C (28.00x1.00 in brackets) on 19C rims and the clearance under the calipers tells me 28C is prob out of the question.

So I have poo pood the Durano and am down to:

Conti 4000 or
Schwalbe One V Guard.

I don't do a tonne of klms, my racing is not that fast and I tend to ride in decent weather so I'm thinking the One's will be fast and tough enough for my daily use. I also like to be a bit different and the red stripe is sexy and matches my red/black colour scheme I have going on lol.

As usual I figure I'm prob overthinking for what I do and both will probably preform admirably.One's are about $90 a pair.
I did wonder how you fitted 28mm tyres to a Caad 8. I run Schwalbe One V Guards on one of my bikes and they are excellent. Little difference in rolling resistance and grip to Conti GP4ks but better puncture protection (especially sidewalls) and much cheaper. Wiggle has the 25mms for $40 each.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up. The coloured ones are a bit more on Wiggle $55. Chain Reaction have the red striped ones for $91 a par so will get that. Chain Reaction are OK yes?

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Ready to roll, well on the 25th, until then back in the box.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 pm

nice

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm

Have had some knee pain so no riding. Just went for a 4-5klm spin to see how the knee felt and the Quattros and Schwalbe One's make the CAAD8 a new bike. I cannot believe the difference. The whole thing feels stiff, smooth and robust. Money very very well spent.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Glad you are happy with the ones. Rubino pros in a 25c are my go to these days

https://www.this link is broken.au/vittoria-rubi ... cher-tyre/
Dogs are the best people :wink: