Are bike sellers scared of christmas?

ark

Are bike sellers scared of christmas?

Postby ark » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 pm

So ive been looking at a few bikes, and sure my wants are a little niche, but the common theme seems to be - we are out of 2018 models in your size, and 2019 models are due some time in January (or in one case March)...

Surely there is normally a surge of bike sales before xmas with people wanting to get a new bike, and if they were going to be between ranges, theyd time it better - it seems it doesnt suit anyone - buyer, retailer, or distributor.

bychosis

Re: Are bike sellers scared of christmas?

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:12 am

I think we are stuck with a model that suits the northern hemisphere, where sales are slower in winter. They don’t really care enough about our tiny market to help us out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ark

Postby ark » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 am

That maks sense i suppose, but dagnabbit its frustrating.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 am

OR
ark wrote:So ive been looking at a few bikes, and sure my wants are a little niche, but the common theme seems to be - we are out of 2018 models in your size,We didn't order enough, cause we didn't want to chance having to sell at a discount or threaten our sale of 2019 at full price and 2019 models are due some time in January so you can just suck it up and wait, we've here to make money, not to provide a good service to our customers (or in one case March)...

Surely there is normally a surge of bike sales before xmas with people wanting to get a new bike, and if they were going to be between ranges, theyd time it better - it seems it doesnt suit anyone - buyer, retailer, or distributor.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 am

bychosis wrote:I think we are stuck with a model that suits the northern hemisphere, where sales are slower in winter. They don’t really care enough about our tiny market to help us out.
Id be pretty much thinking this, they order what they think they will sell without over committing and then having to sell older bikes at lower profit margins, and as bikes are newly released in time for the European spring summer period it leaves Aussies the other way around.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 am

I wish they weren't scared to do a Christmas Sale :( - Still have my fingers crossed for a bargain :P

ark

Postby ark » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Well after this post, i made an offer on a bike that was one grade above what i was looking for, 2018 model and in stock, and the seller went for it.

So i will have a new bike for xmas after all.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Southern Hemisphere Xmas should just be moved to mid year, simples! :D

Let's nominate June 30th! End of financial year, close the books & let's all take month of July off for holidays.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 am

bychosis wrote:They don’t really care enough about our tiny market to help us out.
There are no handouts so it is not personal, just the way it is. Importers try to hedge their bets and anticipate demand and currency exhange trends and can’t always get it right. The good deals for buyers are with ‘last years stock’ and haggling makes sense.
Cycling is in my BNA

ark

Postby ark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 am

AUbicycles wrote:
bychosis wrote:They don’t really care enough about our tiny market to help us out.
There are no handouts so it is not personal, just the way it is. Importers try to hedge their bets and anticipate demand and currency exhange trends and can’t always get it right. The good deals for buyers are with ‘last years stock’ and haggling makes sense.
I just did that, and am thrilled, picking up my new bike on the weekend - floor stock, and I am happy with my deal. It is just very frustrating from a buyers perspective, and everyone from the distributors down to the retailers and the buyers must know this.

Unlike many people, I am not scared to ask for a better price, or push my case. I mean the worst that can happen is that someone says no. But still, this time of year, LBS would surely be better off if they had availability of latest models to sell.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 am

ark wrote:LBS would surely be better off if they had availability of latest models to sell.
I disagree. The trend i see is a move towards bike shops having to sell higher end models to stay viable. Basically they need to get decent volumes of bike sales in the thousands to make their business viable. This is not the type of sale that Christmas buying is about. Not many people would buy a $4k bike for someone else at Christmas because at that end of the market you generally purchase for yourself knowing what you want. The image I think of when people say buying bikes at Christmas is actually with kids and unfortunately mostly at kmart/bigw.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:12 am

Face it ARK, your one Xmas ahead of your self. You blokes really have to consider Xmas in July. Times they are a changing.

I mean why would you wait for Xmas to get a new bike, just for a sale period? Get real mate, you won't see the members that own 15 bikes waiting for Xmas. :D

Regards Father Xmas.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:22 am

Calvin27 wrote:
ark wrote:LBS would surely be better off if they had availability of latest models to sell.
I disagree. The trend i see is a move towards bike shops having to sell higher end models to stay viable. Basically they need to get decent volumes of bike sales in the thousands to make their business viable. This is not the type of sale that Christmas buying is about. Not many people would buy a $4k bike for someone else at Christmas because at that end of the market you generally purchase for yourself knowing what you want. The image I think of when people say buying bikes at Christmas is actually with kids and unfortunately mostly at kmart/bigw.
From what I saw at the back dock of the LBS the other day they are doing a roaring trade in kids bikes. Apparently you don’t need a sale to sell bikes for kids at Christmas. Personally our kids get bikes at birthday time, but I get gebdraw of new bikes for Christmas, it’s easy to determine what little Johnny gets when he’s grown out of his bike.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ark

Postby ark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 am

outnabike wrote:Face it ARK, your one Xmas ahead of your self. You blokes really have to consider Xmas in July. Times they are a changing.

I mean why would you wait for Xmas to get a new bike, just for a sale period? Get real mate, you won't see the members that own 15 bikes waiting for Xmas. :D

Regards Father Xmas.
I'm actually only 3 months ahead of myself - i told myself 6 months before getting a real bike... its been 3. But i wont be keeping the old bike. So it will be just the 1... Wife accidentally let slip that the max is 2, so another one might happen, but id have to have some level of justification. New bike will be an all rounder and hopefully meet all my needs for the next year or so, as i actually become a real rider.