Cheap/ value bike recommendations

cluelessaboutlife

Cheap/ value bike recommendations

Postby cluelessaboutlife » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm looking for a decent quality, but cheap, bike for commuting 8km to and from work 5 days per week. The journey involves a few steady inclined hills, but for the most part it's straight and flat. My budget it around $350 (lucky I still have my helmet/ lock from my old bike).

From browsing around online I've found 2 possible contenders:

NIXEYCLES Classic Mens Vintage Bicycle
https://nixeycles.com.au/Site/product/classic-2/

Reid Vintage ROADSTER
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-vint ... dster.html

Can't find any reviews or any word on the quality of these models. Does any one recommend either, or have any other recommendations?

Thanks

fergy1987

Re: Cheap/ value bike recommendations

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Gumtree - 2nd hand will always be better than new at that price point.

Also if you haven't ridden for years and years - maybe look at a new helmet. they tend to go to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! after a while.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

I hang around Reid like a bad smell so have seen most of their range.

All are decent value but IMHO anything labelled "vintage" is more for looks than utility.

Suggest you pop instore and check it out yourself, also check out the Condor or City.
They also do the Harrier which can be had with a 3spd Nexus, similar to the Sturmey archer in hub gear of the Nix thing you show. In gear hub is handy as its tucked away & harder to impact damage like derailleur gears. You're also able to change gears whilst stationary.

cluelessaboutlife

Postby cluelessaboutlife » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm also considering this

NIXEYCLES Factory7
https://nixeycles.com.au/Site/product/factory-7/

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:56 pm

cluelessaboutlife wrote:I'm also considering this
NIXEYCLES Factory7
https://nixeycles.com.au/Site/product/factory-7/
Not recommended for commuting. Skinny tyres, no mudguards, no rack, no eyelets to retrofit.

I've just posted my standard response and a link to a dozen other threads discussing this and related topics. Read it.
Tamiya wrote:I hang around Reid like a bad smell so have seen most of their range.
All are decent value but IMHO anything labelled "vintage" is more for looks than utility.
What else in their range at that price point would you suggest that has sensible tyres; sensible geometry; full guards and a rack?

I've only seen a subset of the range, the 4130 is nice but the frame alone is more than the RVR and limited to 28mm tyres. The RVR I saw was a very plain but perfectly servicable bike. The Condor gets a second front ring and is 2kg lighter but has skinny tyres, no mudguards and no rack. Don't know why the Roller costs $50 more while losing the rack?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Thoglette wrote: What else in their range at that price point would you suggest that has sensible tyres; sensible geometry; full guards and a rack?

I've only seen a subset of the range, the 4130 is nice but the frame alone is more than the RVR and limited to 28mm tyres. The RVR I saw was a very plain but perfectly servicable bike. The Condor gets a second front ring and is 2kg lighter but has skinny tyres, no mudguards and no rack. Don't know why the Roller costs $50 more while losing the rack?
If guards must be stock equipped then only Vintage Roadster & City 1 has them afaik
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-city-1-0-bike.html
City1 runs 35s and is a 3x7.

Hard to say what's really "standard", my local shop has multiples of each model on the floor
but each unit is equipped differently. Was looking at 2.0 Harrier and there were 3 there,
all different wheels, matte or shiny paint, 1 had Nexus hub... had possession of a Harrier
earlier in the year & it's a nicely made frame, quite lively though. Don't know if they charge
you full whack on "optioned" unit off the floor or if they'll cut you a good deal out the door.

Meh I just go in there to bug the guys :P not to buy new bikes. If I were to buy a commuter
I'd be leaning towards the Urban X0/1/2/2.5... need to DIY rack & guards.
I see there's also an Urban S now, steel tubes not alloy.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Tamiya wrote: If guards must be stock equipped then only Vintage Roadster & City 1 has them afaik
Don't have to be stock but do need to be accounted for so we're comparing apples to apples. Mudguards RRP from about $60 which is >15% of the OP's budget. The Reid vintage rack is $25 (but I'd be buying a Topeak for the quick-release rail, same money on gummy)

The City 1 ticks the boxes, provides a few more gears and a different style option. But just as portly :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Factory supplied mudguards look miles better than any aftermarket tack-on, for sure.