Canyon Endurace 6 v Canyon Endurace 7

Rawshack

Canyon Endurace 6 v Canyon Endurace 7

Postby Rawshack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm

So, if you've read any of my other posts, you'll have established that I bought my first road bike (Giant Contend) not too long ago and am not loving it. So, with Santa on the way, I've decided to upgrade and after a fair bit of research (and trawling these hallowed archives), I'd set my sights on the Canyon Endurace. There's other good Alloy bikes in this price range but the Canyon has caught my eye.

However, there's two versions of this I can get... the AL 6.0 with tiagra groupset, or the Al 7.0 with 105... the former clocks in at $1299 and the latter $1,599

So the question is, do I spend the extra $$$ on the 105 groupset, or will the Tiagra do me just fine for now? $300 is the difference, but is it worth it?

Questions, questions...

Cheers

g-boaf

Re: Canyon Endurace 6 v Canyon Endurace 7

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Just get the 105 and be done with it, otherwise you'll probably get another case of upgrade-fever at the end of next year.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 pm

I think that if you're going up to a Canyon, just go 105.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 pm

105 is faultless.

For $300 extra you get an extra gear, and save 500g of weight, which will be another "upgraditis" thing to obsess over if you don't go for 105 now :D The Aksium wheels can also be replaced when they wear out with something lighter.

You going the red or the stealth black?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just get the 105 and be done with it, otherwise you'll probably get another case of upgrade-fever at the end of next year.
I think you're right... I made a mistake with my first purchase of going the cheaper route - if I'd spent extra on the Content SL1 rather than the straight Contend 1, then I doubt I'd be looking at upgrading so soon.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Mububban wrote:
You going the red or the stealth black?
Definitely the red...

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm

If you wish you got the contend sl1 wouldnt you want the disc model of the endurace? Hate to get rim brakes and find out you want disc.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 pm

fergy1987 wrote:If you wish you got the contend sl1 wouldnt you want the disc model of the endurace? Hate to get rim brakes and find out you want disc.
It’s not the discs that were my priority; they’d be a nice to have

A good frame and the 105 group are the clinchers

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 am

Rawshack wrote:
fergy1987 wrote:If you wish you got the contend sl1 wouldnt you want the disc model of the endurace? Hate to get rim brakes and find out you want disc.

I think if you'd like the discs, you should get the discs - Of course if finances allow for that because it is a pretty big jump up to the disc model

But definitely the 7.0 over the 6.0 - The 6.0 would still be a great bike, but I think you would end up with the similar experience with your Contend. And that new 105 is apparently awesome.

Ive been staring at the 7.0 Disc for a while hoping for a sale to show up.....but think I am just going to have to bite the bullet on paying full price. $2199 up to $2400 with postage gets me a bit out of my price range without thinking maybe I should just buy a Defy Advanced.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:32 am

fergy1987 wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

I think if you'd like the discs, you should get the discs - Of course if finances allow for that because it is a pretty big jump up to the disc model

But definitely the 7.0 over the 6.0 - The 6.0 would still be a great bike, but I think you would end up with the similar experience with your Contend. And that new 105 is apparently awesome.

Ive been staring at the 7.0 Disc for a while hoping for a sale to show up.....but think I am just going to have to bite the bullet on paying full price. $2199 up to $2400 with postage gets me a bit out of my price range without thinking maybe I should just buy a Defy Advanced.
Like I said, the discs would be nice, but they're not a deal breaker; having a great frame and the 105 is the clincher. I tried the Trek Emonda with the 105 rims and they are worlds apart from the Soras that are on the Contend - the difference is, as my mum would say 'night and day'

Velt

Postby Velt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:41 pm

The Endurace disc frame is a much newer design than the rim and reviews very highly.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/carbon-or-aluminium/
Some even reckon its better than the carbon

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Velt wrote:The Endurace disc frame is a much newer design than the rim and reviews very highly.

Excuse my ignorance, but how is the disc frame any different to the rim frame?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 am

Rawshack wrote:
Velt wrote:The Endurace disc frame is a much newer design than the rim and reviews very highly.

Excuse my ignorance, but how is the disc frame any different to the rim frame?
I'm not sure if the disc AL frame has been revised extensively, but I'm reading more and more reviews opining that, after years of being the "poor cousin" to carbon, more and more tech is being poured into alloy frame technology, to the point where the weight saving is minimal, and performance is almost indistinguishable from its more expensive carbon counterparts, but for far less money.

I think if I ever get to the point of affording N+1, I'll look at high end alloy frames, not just carbon only necessarily. And maybe spend the difference on upgrading stock wheels to something better :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 pm

I have some 4700 Tiagra and 105.

Just get the 105. The 4700 is a one off. Only 4700 components work with each other.
At least with 105 you can mix and match with other series bits and pieces.

I have one bike with a 4700 front STi shifter and derailleur. The rear is 4600 with 4600 STi. I have a spare 4700 RD but need to spend more than $200 for a new right 4700 shifter - only come in pairs.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm

105 7000 is excellent, miles above the 5700 I had on my previous bike.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Neither of the bikes you are considering are really that much of an upgrade over the bike you already own.
Save yourself the heartache and money. Ride the Contend for a while then make a significant step up to a carbon frame with good wheels (>$500), minimum 105 groupset, maybe even electronic Ultegra and experience the performance and true upgrade to a modern race bike.
You won't be happy until you do.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Tim wrote:Neither of the bikes you are considering are really that much of an upgrade over the bike you already own.
Save yourself the heartache and money. Ride the Contend for a while then make a significant step up to a carbon frame with good wheels (>$500), minimum 105 groupset, maybe even electronic Ultegra and experience the performance and true upgrade to a modern race bike.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you there. I don't want or need a carbon frame, nor do I need ultegra. I agree that 105 seems to be a generally accepted benchmark for a groupset, but for daily commutes and the occasional weekend ride, I fear anything more would be perhaps overkill, as well as somewhat ostentatious ;)

A good, lightweight alloy with upgrade potential is what I am looking for.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Rawshack wrote:I will have to respectfully disagree with you there. I don't want or need a carbon frame, nor do I need ultegra. I agree that 105 seems to be a generally accepted benchmark for a groupset, but for daily commutes and the occasional weekend ride, I fear anything more would be perhaps overkill, as well as somewhat ostentatious ;)

Just pull the trigger on the Canyon 7 already, nothing else will satisfy you now you've been bitten by the bug :) And be sure to post some photos of it when it arrives!

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Rawshack wrote: will have to respectfully disagree with you there. I don't want or need a carbon frame, nor do I need ultegra. I agree that 105 seems to be a generally accepted benchmark for a groupset, but for daily commutes and the occasional weekend ride, I fear anything more would be perhaps overkill, as well as somewhat ostentatious ;)

Fair enough. I'm thinking of my own experience.
Ten years ago I bought an aluminium flat bar bike, just for cruising around, I thought.
Having raced bikes 20-30 years ago the flat bar didn't do it for me so I bought an aluminium Cannondale CAAD9. A very nice bike, I still ride it about 3K km's each year, but I still wondered what a carbon state-of-the-art bike would be like.
So, I then bought a Giant TCR SL, full DuraAce (mechanical) wonder bike. It truly was an amazing bike compared to the others. Definitely overkill but I loved it until it broke and Giant replaced the frame with an even more incredible current model TCR SL. Way, way way beyond my ability but who cares.
The TCR cured any upgraditis. I don't yearn for or aspire to anything better coz I know there isn't anything much better. Other than a really nice upright, tight framed steel racing bike, for sentimental reasons.

You'll never know how good a bike can be, unless you own one and ride it heaps. (I am the devil in disguise. The seed has been sown. You will always wonder, the itch will grow, the doubts will rumble, there is no turning back :D )

Multiply your budget by ten. Then you'll be happy. Just joking, sortof.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Tim wrote:Neither of the bikes you are considering are really that much of an upgrade over the bike you already own.
I.M.H.O.
I agree with this.

The 4700 and 105 5800 shifting experience is allegedly very close according to reviews.

I have a carbon frame with Ultegra 8000. I've been riding it around continuously for the last three weeks.
Today because of inclement weather, I took out the Specialized with 4700.

The difference between 8000 and 4700 is profoundly different.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Rawshack wrote:
I will have to respectfully disagree with you there. I don't want or need a carbon frame, nor do I need ultegra. I agree that 105 seems to be a generally accepted benchmark for a groupset, but for daily commutes and the occasional weekend ride, I fear anything more would be perhaps overkill, as well as somewhat ostentatious ;)

You are bang on right there, though you’ll never need to upgrade from 105. But maybe go the disc brake model.

Carbon is an expensive con. I’ve ridden several carbon bikes for extended periods and still keep going back to my alu CAADx 105 for a tight, light, efficient and comfortable ride. Well specced current alu bikes are in the Goldilocks zone of best bang for buck and most versatile bike. In my opinion.

If you’re paying ‘a bit extra’ for carbon you’re falling for marketing traps. OTOH, you’ll never have buyers remorse with a Canyon Alu 105 Disc or similar because it will everything a carbon bike will do, you won’t be afraid to ride it anywhere and you will save up to $1000.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"