TransOz

chuckchunder

TransOz

Postby chuckchunder » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 pm

Any one else pondering this?
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: TransOz

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 pm

chuckchunder wrote:Any one else pondering this?
I just saw this. It means I have a year to convince the wife to let me do it, then another year to get fit. I've wanted to do this since I read Oppy's autobiography, and then when one of my riding friends did it in a velomobile, it made me want to do it more.

Since it's an "historic" event, maybe we could get Herb Elliot to drive the support van (that's going to make some people think).

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:09 pm

The qualifying rides alone are a huge challenge, hats off to anyone who is up for it.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 pm

So funny you posted this! I was going to post the very same question!
I'm so interested I have already discussed it with my wife.
Reading the pre-qualifying requirements, I started to wonder if anyone would qualify. I doubt if many Audax members have done that much in the preparation for PBP. So I sent the ride organiser an email asking whether these are proposed or finalised requirements. I'll let you know the response.
Andrew

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Far too audacious for the likes of me, but I'm glad that people are out there organising and doing epic rides like this.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:29 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I'm so interested I have already discussed it with my wife.
Reading the pre-qualifying requirements, I started to wonder if anyone would qualify. I doubt if many Audax members have done that much in the preparation for PBP. So I sent the ride organiser an email asking whether these are proposed or finalised requirements. I'll let you know the response.
Andrew
Yep, have already had some extended conversations with my wife too. Mainly cost/time commitment - Although I know could complete the qualifying rides on my trike, I doubt I could complete the event on it = n+1. Also, pretty sure I would have to travel interstate/overseas for at least three rides to meet the pre-qualifying rides, not sure I have the finances to cover that kind of expense.

Still excited at the idea, though. :D

cheers

glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:04 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
I just saw this. It means I have a year to convince the wife to let me do it, then another year to get fit. I've wanted to do this since I read Oppy's autobiography, and then when one of my riding friends did it in a velomobile, it made me want to do it more.

Since it's an "historic" event, maybe we could get Herb Elliot to drive the support van (that's going to make some people think).
Hmmm me in my Velomobile....as support vehicle.... :mrgreen: this is slightly quicker (mine was 49 days), & more direct (I went Freo-Adel-Melb-Canb-Bondi) than my ride..... I'd do it again, but doubt I'd make the timeframe....even WITH all the pre-qualifying rides
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:09 pm

chuckchunder wrote:Yep, have already had some extended conversations with my wife too. Mainly cost/time commitment
There's always the vollie ride, done 12 months before the main event (so, August 2016) and completely unsupported (so probably cheaper), and unlike the main event it says nothing about needing to do all those qualifying rides. Ask Wayne H (el Presidente) about this if you're interested.

Interesting that the TxOz organisers have as a mandatory requirement "Suitable long sleeved rain jacket (a wafer-thin spray jacket does not cut it)". We've had people turn up for 1000km rides locally at that time of year dressed only for a warm Summer day's ride, not late Winter, and on this course you can't just pop into a camping store enroute nor rely on borrowing from the vollies. As they head into NSW it will get colder and wetter, you'd hope not to be caught in the sort of August weather that we've had there this year and last.

Really a worry that they also mandated carrying a beanie and then linked it to a Youtube of fashion survival hints for wearing said domewarmer.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm

chuckchunder wrote:Still excited at the idea, though. :D
Me too. It's unlikely that I will be able to do this, at least in 2017, but having things mapped out and planned and thought about by experienced audaxers means I have a blueprint to follow. Not a very pioneering spirit on my part, I agree, but it's what it is. Trying to possibly qualify for it will be adventure enough for the moment.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:39 pm

I'd love to do a TransOz ride.... But not in 14 days!!! I'd need 2 months at least!!!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:48 pm

Aw come on 4,000 km in 14 days is not that hard, it's less than 300 km per day - there are a few people out there doing that every day for a year.

Think of it & the qualifying rides as your opportunity to work towards an Eddington number of 187 :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:12 pm

isabella24 wrote:I'd love to do a TransOz ride.... But not in 14 days!!! I'd need 2 months at least!!!
+1.

No way I could do it in 14 days, nor would I want to. I'd love to ride across and take my time, sight-seeing along the way. I've done it plenty of times by car, but doing it by bike would be just great!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:01 am

I'd love to give it go one day. I'm pretty sure it won't happen in 2017 though. Hopefully the ride won't be a one-off.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:00 am

I've heard back from the organiser and no compromise on the qualifying criteria. He said in the email that some had argued for even more long audaxes in the criteria!
I still have trouble believing they will get the numbers - I think too many people will find the qualifying criteria too hard.
On another note - I haven't checked the Audax website for years.... I was amazed by how many permanents there are!!

Tazz

Postby Tazz » Tue May 17, 2016 12:27 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
Really a worry that they also mandated carrying a beanie and then linked it to a Youtube of fashion survival hints for wearing said domewarmer.
Due to popular demand I have refined the meaning of beanie... :)
http://www.rapha.cc/au/en_AU/shop/merin ... duct/MHT05

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Hmmmm, I may have a go at this, I know I'm up for it! :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Hmmmm, I may have a go at this, I know I'm up for it! :)
You could! It was your posts about your multi-100 k rides that got me into Audax in the first place. I wish you the best of luck.