Audaxing stories and goals

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:22 pm

In the interest of getting some discussion going here, and hearing about how people ended up in this particular niche of cycling... share your stories and plans relating to Audax and long-distance riding.

How did you end up riding your first Audax?

Why do you keep doing it?

Any recent rides or achievements you're proud of? Maybe your first ever 200km, or maybe you just got back from PBP.

Do you have any upcoming goals, big or small? e.g. riding longer, hillier, dirtier, more often or trying to bag a particular Audax award?

(answer any or all of the above!)

thecaptn

Re: Audaxing stories and goals

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Love riding Audax routes and do lots of Audax rides a year. I enjoy catching up with the crew that regularly do the local rides. Not interested in the brevets though and never worry about them, apparently it's fairly common for blokes to compost their cards instead of registering them.

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:15 pm

My first Audax rides were a 100 and a 200 as "preparation" for doing the 250km Around the Bay in a Day last year. After completing Around the Bay, I decided that I didn't really want to do any more long rides - I'd ticked that box. But a few months later, I found myself remembering the Audax rides fondly. They were more fun than Around the Bay, with fewer people, less bravado and more interesting routes.

Now I've done a few 200s, I want more! I have my eyes set on completing a 300 some time soon, maybe the 400km "Midsummer Madness" at the end of the year, and the Alpine Classic in January which will need a substantial increase in my climbing speed.

@thecaptn: you're really spoiled for lovely places to ride in Gippsland! Interesting that you don't bother with the brevet cards, it's always seemed pretty bureaucratic to me too, but the Audax format with a set route and time limits does encourage me to push myself in ways I'd never attempt otherwise.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Audax is the first organised, club sport I've ever been involved in. I like that its flexible in terms of individual goals, and that those goals can be rethought from year to year. The only true competition is within yourself.

Whilst still doing stuff for the regional committee, I've been pretty dismal on my actual riding the last two calendar years. My longest rides prior to this a couple of seperate 400kms here in WA, but will need a series of shorter rides to get back up to that level again - and push the next boundary.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 pm

I joined Audax late last year with lofty goals of doing a 200km+ ride once a month for a year, having done basically only short commutes the previous 12 months.
My first official ride was the Sydney to Newcastle Overnight, which I'll be doing again this year.
My original goal turned out to be completely incompatible with my family life, so I instead joined a new cycling club in Sydney and have become involved in racing, and then long club rides. One thing lead to another and I registered for the Fitz Epic in October. To get ready for that I have started doing long rides again, with a 195, 205 and 135km over the last 3 weeks, and I have a 230km ride coming up this weekend.
What surprised me is that I did the 195 and 205 rides (both with hills) at just over 30km/h avg, a big jump on my 2012/2013 times which were 25km/h.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

robHflyte

Postby robHflyte » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:09 am

first Audax ride was back in September 2011, 150km and DNF, cold/wet and did not have a clue. I was only back on a bike for 6 months after some 20+ years off. I went from exhaustion doing 17km to doing 150km in that 6 months.

I've done plenty of 200s now, quite a few 300s and a 400. I've attempted a 1200 but got 150km in and my right knee would no longer bend without a lot of pain. I rode another 150km or so using my left leg only. While I failed the 1200 I'm still quite happy with what I achieved on that day.

Unsealed roads are now my favourite thing and I am RO to a few rides in NSW. 38mm Barlow Pass tyres and low PSI seems to make nearly everything smooth. If you get a chance, do the Bilpin Ride, it has a cracker of a finish climb.

Next challenge. Ride Fitzs Entree on Friday 23 Oct (~330km), do Fitzs 205 on Sunday, Ride back to Goulburn on Monday and then catch a train to Sydney.

See you out there.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:58 pm

My first Audax ride was only 2 weeks ago - a 210km ride around greater Sydney. My previous longest ride was only 150kms and much slower than I managed on the Audax ride (25km/hr), so I was pretty happy with it. I joined Audax for the insurance originally but plan on doing some more rides now I've managed my first.
I've started to become more interested in longer rides so I'll see where it takes me.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:38 pm

isabella24 wrote:I've started to become more interested in longer rides so I'll see where it takes me.
Audax seems to have a sneaky way of making the (previously thought) impossible seem doable.

@robHflyte, I'd love to try a gravelly Audax some time, though I'm not sure I have the sk1llz or fitness for one.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 pm

cameronp wrote:
isabella24 wrote:I've started to become more interested in longer rides so I'll see where it takes me.
Audax seems to have a sneaky way of making the (previously thought) impossible seem doable.
Thanks for the warning cameronp !!
Not sure it will deter me though :D
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 am

cameronp wrote: Audax seems to have a sneaky way of making the (previously thought) impossible seem doable.
Yep :D

When I first heard about Audax, I thought only an Olympic level athlete could ride 400 km in a day. I did not comprehend that a normal person could do it. Then I did a 200, then 240 km (because 150 miles seemed a round number) then 300 km ...

Since then, I've done four 1200 km Audax rides. It's a slippery slope.

During an Amy Gillett Lorne Gran Fondo (110 km), a fellow rider asked if I was going to stop at one of the refreshment tents. I looked at him incredulously: "Mate, I've been on rides where the distance to the first food stop was longer than this whole event."

If you get involved, you will find a tremendous sense of camaraderie and your fellow riders (and support crew, if there is one) will go to great lengths to help you finish.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:42 pm

I have been a member for a couple of years. I joined for the cheap cycling Australia membership and insurance with the intention of doing rides. I have done a few longer rides, the longest of 308km, but I'm yet to do an audax. I have every intention but my shift rooster and family life seem to be incompatible [emoji53]

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Looking into joining Audax, the plan is to ride the Alpine Challenge in Bright come January.
Lisa

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:10 pm

I started Audax in 2013 with four 200s and a 300. Last year I did a 150, 200, 250 and 400, and the Sydney-Newcastle overnight ride (170). Unfortunately a crash in March and six weeks off the bike has limited my Audax rides this year to two 200s and a 300. I really do enjoy riding at night although the 400 was very tough given the lack of sleep and will stick to 300s in future.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:36 pm

marinmomma wrote:Looking into joining Audax, the plan is to ride the Alpine Challenge in Bright come January.
Good plan! The Audax Alpine Classic is an excellent event, from the easy registration the day before (assuming you entered on line), to the catering, support, camaraderie, spectacular scenery .... it's a great event :D