Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

queequeg

Re: Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Postby queequeg » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:02 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I suppose the extra weight all adds up (marginal gains/losses?) over250/320kms, but personally I'd happily use heftier, stronger wheels if I was attempting one of those big loop rides where you could end up a loooong way from assistance or a pick-up.

I guess it might depend on whether you're looking at simply completing a ride (definitely me most times) or aiming for a great time or a personal best (done this as well). I also reckon good rolling wheels are more important than lighter weight on longer rides. I've rolled past plenty of riders on lighter wheels that don't seem to roll that well. So I guess quality hubs are important as well.

Hope you find the right balance and give it another crack next year.
I think I have found the right balance. I've ordered the HED Belgium C2+ Rims, which are exactly the same rim as the HED Ardennes I have now. I went for a 24/32 front/rear.
Hubs, about 90% sure they'll be DT Swiss. The 240s is the benchmark. The 180 Hubs are slightly lighter (30g total) and have Ceramic Bearings, but cost twice as much. Unless the bearings are significantly smoother I will go with the 240s, paired with DT Aerolite spokes.
As noted earlier, I am getting an extra 14 spokes on the wheelset for only a 35g weight increase, or if I go for the 180 Hubs, only a 5g increase in weight.

I am coming back for the 320km again next year, and having at least done some of the course now, I know what to expect and can plan accordingly. I rode far too conservatively up Hotham and out to Omeo. I was saving everything for Back of Falls where I was going to ramp it up. That is what annoys me the most. I did 200km including two big climbs, and it felt like I had only done the 25km commute to work! Let's just say that I have Strava Stalked a few riders from the 320km group, and I have a target elapsed time for 2018 that will put me at the pointy end :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 pm

queequeg wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:I suppose the extra weight all adds up (marginal gains/losses?) over250/320kms, but personally I'd happily use heftier, stronger wheels if I was attempting one of those big loop rides where you could end up a loooong way from assistance or a pick-up.

I guess it might depend on whether you're looking at simply completing a ride (definitely me most times) or aiming for a great time or a personal best (done this as well). I also reckon good rolling wheels are more important than lighter weight on longer rides. I've rolled past plenty of riders on lighter wheels that don't seem to roll that well. So I guess quality hubs are important as well.

I think I have found the right balance. I've ordered the HED Belgium C2+ Rims, which are exactly the same rim as the HED Ardennes I have now. I went for a 24/32 front/rear.
Hubs, about 90% sure they'll be DT Swiss. The 240s is the benchmark. The 180 Hubs are slightly lighter (30g total) and have Ceramic Bearings, but cost twice as much. Unless the bearings are significantly smoother I will go with the 240s, paired with DT Aerolite spokes.
As noted earlier, I am getting an extra 14 spokes on the wheelset for only a 35g weight increase, or if I go for the 180 Hubs, only a 5g increase in weight.

I am coming back for the 320km again next year, and having at least done some of the course now, I know what to expect and can plan accordingly. I rode far too conservatively up Hotham and out to Omeo. I was saving everything for Back of Falls where I was going to ramp it up. That is what annoys me the most. I did 200km including two big climbs, and it felt like I had only done the 25km commute to work! Let's just say that I have Strava Stalked a few riders from the 320km group, and I have a target elapsed time for 2018 that will put me at the pointy end :-)
Most of the weight saving for the 180s comes from using smaller bearings in the rear hub which will make them less durable. The 240 is a good choice (nice non-drive to drive side tension balance) and I would choose the straight pull version.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:27 pm

biker jk wrote:
queequeg wrote:

Most of the weight saving for the 180s comes from using smaller bearings in the rear hub which will make them less durable. The 240 is a good choice (nice non-drive to drive side tension balance) and I would choose the straight pull version.
The straight pull hub only comes in a 20 or a 24 hole variant, so it rules it out. I can do a straight pull front hub in a 24, but not on a 240s. I'd have to do a 350 front hub.

I am not too fussed. My current wheels are j-bend rear and straight pull front. still looking at exact specs, but will probably stay J-Bend Aerolites if that is what i am limited to for a 24/32 wheelset
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Yeah I carry a Fiberfix spoke with me, but I think my wheels and clearance can survive one broken spoke in any case.

First time I attempted the Audax 200 with a mate he broke a spoke just heading back from Falls Creek. He rode a Giant TCR with their standard wheelset.

I built my own 'indestructible' wheel set similar to you. Hed Belgium C2 rims w/Alchemy Hubs, Sapim CX-Rays and 28/32 spoke count. Over 10,000 kms on them, no broken spokes, have never needed truing.. Just under 1600 grams for the set. I'm 88 kg so I wanted something truly 'bombproof'.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:29 am

__PG__ wrote:Yeah I carry a Fiberfix spoke with me, but I think my wheels and clearance can survive one broken spoke in any case.

First time I attempted the Audax 200 with a mate he broke a spoke just heading back from Falls Creek. He rode a Giant TCR with their standard wheelset.

I built my own 'indestructible' wheel set similar to you. Hed Belgium C2 rims w/Alchemy Hubs, Sapim CX-Rays and 28/32 spoke count. Over 10,000 kms on them, no broken spokes, have never needed truing.. Just under 1600 grams for the set. I'm 88 kg so I wanted something truly 'bombproof'.
I ended up doing the DT240s Hubs, C2+ Rims. I have never broken a front spoke on a wheel, so i stuck with 24 on the front (increased from 18), and bumped up the rear to 32 (from 24).

Sadly, I was half way through the build when I had a DVT in my left leg, so i haven't had a chance to try the wheels yet. The build did come up very nice with the Aerolite spokes, so looking forward to giving them a try in a few months.

I'll be back for the Alpine Classic again, but not 2018. Hopefully I am able to do 2019.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 pm

queequeg wrote:
__PG__ wrote:Yeah I carry a Fiberfix spoke with me, but I think my wheels and clearance can survive one broken spoke in any case.

I ended up doing the DT240s Hubs, C2+ Rims. I have never broken a front spoke on a wheel, so i stuck with 24 on the front (increased from 18), and bumped up the rear to 32 (from 24).

Sadly, I was half way through the build when I had a DVT in my left leg, so i haven't had a chance to try the wheels yet. The build did come up very nice with the Aerolite spokes, so looking forward to giving them a try in a few months.

I'll be back for the Alpine Classic again, but not 2018. Hopefully I am able to do 2019.
Broken spoke, DVT? Seems you're destined not to do the AAC. :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm

madmacca wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Nah, I will be back with some lofty goals. I'll probably get down the high country outside of the event and ride the course solo to at least get a preview of the whole thing before I give it a solid crack again. I just need to turn myself into a climbing machine so I can compete with the likes of Jono E, who is on another level to me entirely at the moment.

I was pretty annoyed at the mechanical as the distance/elevation was never going to be an issue for me. I was only chasing my own arbitrary time limit.

Assuming I get back on the bike in October, I'll have about 6 months of rebuilding my base before taking on anything too huge, but I am looking to step away from racing and focus on Audax/Gran Fondo. Right now there is not much I can do.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:55 pm

queequeg wrote:
madmacca wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Nah, I will be back with some lofty goals. I'll probably get down the high country outside of the event and ride the course solo to at least get a preview of the whole thing before I give it a solid crack again. I just need to turn myself into a climbing machine so I can compete with the likes of Jono E, who is on another level to me entirely at the moment.

I was pretty annoyed at the mechanical as the distance/elevation was never going to be an issue for me. I was only chasing my own arbitrary time limit.

Assuming I get back on the bike in October, I'll have about 6 months of rebuilding my base before taking on anything too huge, but I am looking to step away from racing and focus on Audax/Gran Fondo. Right now there is not much I can do.
The Raid (the 250 course over 2 days) might be an option while you rebuild fitness.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:18 pm

queequeg wrote:I just need to turn myself into a climbing machine so I can compete with the likes of Jono E, who is on another level to me entirely at the moment.
Got me buggered how he's so fast

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:08 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
queequeg wrote:I just need to turn myself into a climbing machine so I can compete with the likes of Jono E, who is on another level to me entirely at the moment.
It's not so much his speed, but how he does it without stopping. He did the 320 Ultimate with something ridiculous like 12 minutes of stopping time. He passed me about 1/4 of the way up Mt Buffalo. I saw him on the descent near the top, then that was it...gone.
Likewise, the Fitz Extreme with maybe 7 minutes.
I have a long way to go to reach that level, but it's something to aspire to. Doing the long rides lets me clear my head, which is why being sidelined is killing me.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:35 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
And have you seen his average HRs?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:03 am

kb wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
Yep, sure have. When riding these distances you have to keep the HR that low. I was getting much better at managing my long term avg heart rate and energy expenditure, and staying completely out of the red and ride strictly to power on the climbs.
But Jono, again...totally next level. Maybe I'll never get to that kind of capability, but that is part of the challenge.

potblak

Postby potblak » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:27 pm

queequeg wrote:
kb wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote: Got me buggered how he's so fast
Yep, sure have. When riding these distances you have to keep the HR that low. I was getting much better at managing my long term avg heart rate and energy expenditure, and staying completely out of the red and ride strictly to power on the climbs.
But Jono, again...totally next level. Maybe I'll never get to that kind of capability, but that is part of the challenge.
I've made my touring bike into a super low geared beast so that I don't need to get out of the saddle too often. Its a Specialized Allez with a triple chain-wheel and 9-speed 11-28 cassette. I've switched the chain-wheel from the original 52-42-34 to a 46-34-26 an I'm about to switch the cassette to an 11-32.
Mt Hotham here I come!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm

I think Jono used a 36x28 low at the alpine

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:44 pm

2018 entries just opened. Discounted early bird registration closes 31 August.

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 pm

madmacca wrote:2018 entries just opened. Discounted early bird registration closes 31 August.
I'm seriously considering it. I have unfinished business with this ride, after DNF'ing two years ago. Sadly I'm about 10kg heavier than I was last time I attempted it and would need to step up my training a bit too...

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Do it. I started dieting in August last year and was down ~14kg in time for the Alpine Classic. You'll kill it.

Thinking 200km this year - compared to the 250 there are better descents and it doesn't require quite so much focused training. Means I can probably do a bit more riding around the area on either side of the actual audax ride without really impacting upon my fatigue.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am

I'm a maybe. Our daughter will be just over a year old by then and Louisa thought it would be a great place for photos and nature walks. Thought she'd be "maybe in a couple of years" :-). Training could still be a bit problematic though..

vaypaz

Postby vaypaz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 pm

I'll be signing up for the first time. As I'm going solo I was going to do the 130km ride, but decided I should push myself and do the 200km. Going to sign up to the 4am start to help reduce any pressure to hurry along should I feel like slowing down towards the end.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 pm

I signed up for the 200 km early start up Mt. Buffalo.

I've done the 320 km Ultimate three times, the 240 km ACE three times (four? can't remember) and did the 60 km this year (illness :cry: ).

I'm looking forward to spending some post-ride cooling off time in Howitt Park drinking beer.

Is there any other big ride in the world with the finish line within 100 metres of a swimming pool, a chocolate factory and a brewery? 8)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

I've done the various 130/140k rides before and I was in for the 200Classic last year but was injured in the lead up so just climbed Buffalo and had a early exit back at Bright. My riding buddy completed the 200.

So we're both back in for the 200 this year. Actually plan to train for this one.... :roll: :lol:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm

ausrandoman wrote:Is there any other big ride in the world with the finish line within 100 metres of a swimming pool, a chocolate factory and a brewery? 8)
So it's 2 circuits. 1 of Hotham, Omeo and Falls, and 1 of the swimming pool, chocolate factory and brewery.
Last edited by madmacca on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

madmacca wrote:
ausrandoman wrote:Is there any other big ride in the world with the finish line within 100 metres of a swimming pool, a chocolate factory and a brewery? 8)
So it's 2 circuits. 1 of Hotham, Omeo and Falls, and 1 of ....
Non sequitur? Or a bit too opaque for me?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

madmacca wrote:
So it's 2 circuits. 1 of Hotham, Omeo and Falls, and 1 of the swimming pool, chocolate factory and brewery.
You forgot the Ice-Cream shop. That place was doing a rip roaring trade!

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm

After doing the 250 last year, I was too-ing and fro-ing between looking for a better time at that, or aim at the 320.

I've ended with signing up for the 320 - even if I end up downselecting the distance, I figure it is good to have a big goal to train for.