Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Uncle Just

Re: Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm not going. Long term injury which I'm slowly getting over. Btw I just checked their website for what's on offer. $245 for the 200 and $190 for the 140/130. That's getting pricey, add in transport, accommodation and it's expensive for a one day ride. I've long been a supporter as ime it's the best organised, low pressure event of its type in oz. However I think my future participation may now be over and will do it solo or on tour.
Anyway good luck to all participants, have a safe, enjoyable ride.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Uncle Just wrote:I'm not going. Long term injury which I'm slowly getting over. Btw I just checked their website for what's on offer. $245 for the 200 and $190 for the 140/130. That's getting pricey, add in transport, accommodation and it's expensive for a one day ride.
That's the late entry price btw. Regular was $225, early bird $180 - a big difference.

I don't know where it all goes, but consider that the fee goes to subsidise the costs of the volunteers etc, plus food, insurance, medical support, hire of facilities such as the park, control centre in Bright, control facilities at Buffalo, Dinner Plain, Falls Creek, Mt Beauty.. It's expensive to run such a big event over such a big distance.

3 Peaks Falls standard entry is $339 compared to the ACE 250's standard entry of $265 (and I suspect accommodation costs are much higher too since you're forced to stay at Falls Creek).

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:36 pm

hamishm wrote: 3 Peaks Falls standard entry is $339 compared to the ACE 250's standard entry of $265 (and I suspect accommodation costs are much higher too since you're forced to stay at Falls Creek).
Yep. Audax gives you more support, more flexibility and great atmosphere for less money.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:51 pm

hamishm wrote:
Uncle Just wrote:I'm not going. Long term injury which I'm slowly getting over. Btw I just checked their website for what's on offer. $245 for the 200 and $190 for the 140/130. That's getting pricey, add in transport, accommodation and it's expensive for a one day ride.
That's the late entry price btw. Regular was $225, early bird $180 - a big difference.

I don't know where it all goes, but consider that the fee goes to subsidise the costs of the volunteers etc, plus food, insurance, medical support, hire of facilities such as the park, control centre in Bright, control facilities at Buffalo, Dinner Plain, Falls Creek, Mt Beauty.. It's expensive to run such a big event over such a big distance.

3 Peaks Falls standard entry is $339 compared to the ACE 250's standard entry of $265 (and I suspect accommodation costs are much higher too since you're forced to stay at Falls Creek).
And they do look after the vollies well - did it last year, free accommodation for 8+hours availability, some meals, vouchers etc well worth the experience.

I paid $180 for AAC200 early entry this year.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

^^Kudos for volunteering 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Yep I've always thought it a well run event and costs do keep going up to put on such an event. The early bird price is an attractive discount but all up I now question its value for me and probably my time for such things has passed. Struggling up mountains in your sixties is not where it's at for me anymore. Going down them is another matter. :D As for the 3 Peaks, yes it is considerably more for entry, 2-3 nights plus meals in reasonable accommodation.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm

".....I don't know where it all goes....."

It goes 97% to 110%++ on costs. The demands of police, councils, state government and insurers push up costs every year, professional / certified "traffic controllers" are the latest requirement. The budgeted surplus is tiny compared to the downside risk of even a small short fall in registrations or extra unexpected costs, bush fire or other similar events. The pressures of commercial rides like the etap in December or Cadel ride on this same weekend out of Geelong increase the risks and the corps of volunteers is getting older and thinner each year. A small group of largely unpaid organisers spends most of the year organising this ride. The days of cheaper, well organised non-commercial rides like this may be numbered, but we all have to move with the times don't we.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

gavin_rider

Postby gavin_rider » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Can any 6.20am 250km riders that are aming to do between 10hrs and 11hrs please let me know here or via private message. It should be possible, with a bit of planning, to ride together until the back of falls. Often what happens is a lot or riders looking at doing similar times end up riding the whole way a couple of hundred metres apart without ever knowing the other guy is just up ahead/behind. As discussed above, its a lot of money to pay for a ride, and I would be disappointed to pay the entry fee and then find myself riding on my own.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:39 pm

gavin_rider wrote:Can any 6.20am 250km riders that are aming to do between 10hrs and 11hrs please let me know here or via private message. It should be possible, with a bit of planning, to ride together until the back of falls. Often what happens is a lot or riders looking at doing similar times end up riding the whole way a couple of hundred metres apart without ever knowing the other guy is just up ahead/behind. As discussed above, its a lot of money to pay for a ride, and I would be disappointed to pay the entry fee and then find myself riding on my own.
Yeah but if you ride on your own for 250kms, and you start talking to yourself, you ALWAYS get the right answers! :wink:

gavin_rider

Postby gavin_rider » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:49 am

You still doing the 320km Smithstreet?

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:21 pm

gavin_rider wrote:You still doing the 320km Smithstreet?
Yep. Still got the remnants of a head cold... should be interesting. :?

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I paid $180 for early bird and reckon its fantastic value. Pretty sure CyclingTips were charging equal if not more for their ride, Letape charged similar prices to 3 peaks. When you consider the variations of ride options and the amount of area Audax are covering in comparison for rest stops and marshalling its pretty easy to see where it goes.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Good point, the Giro Della Donna was $170 for 107km :shock: possibly the worst $/km rate I've ever seen for such an event.

Of course the benefit of Audax is that the club is not trying to make a profit...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:33 pm

The Latest Weather Report from our Event Meteorologist
Expect clear skies to start with but some scattered cloud will develop during the afternoon. It will be a warm and dry day. However, with a weak low pressure trough over the north east there is a slight chance of a late thunderstorm about the ranges. Winds should be light - initially from the southeast but picking up to around 10 - 15 km/h from the W/NW from mid-morning. Gusts up to 25km/h are likely on the higher peaks.
Temperatures:
Bright - low of 12-14c rising to a max around 33c
Mt Buffalo - low of 13c rising to a max 25-27c
Falls Creek - low of 11c rising to a max 19-21c
Mount Hotham - low of 10c rising to a max 19-21c
Omeo - low of 10c rising to a max 28-30c

:)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:22 pm

I rode the main climbs for the first time after Christmas.

You're all crazy. That is all. :mrgreen:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:33 am

Should've done the 0400 start. Laid there awake after I got up for a pee at 0130 :roll:
Have a good ride everyone :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Well that was hot and difficult.
I should stay in Bright next time.
I was cursing the trip back on tired legs with a tired head.
What a well run event. Many thanks to all the volunteers who make it possible.
The cold water melon at falls was awesome, nearly as good as the cold can of black gold I got at the same stop.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:58 pm

warthog1 wrote:Well that was hot and difficult.
I should stay in Bright next time.
I was cursing the trip back on tired legs with a tired head.
What a well run event. Many thanks to all the volunteers who make it possible.
The cold water melon at falls was awesome, nearly as good as the cold can of black gold I got at the same stop.
Nicely done. You on strava?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: Nicely done. You on strava?
PM sent.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:32 am

I only got to 192.... :( but was glad it was finished. The heat coming back through MtBeauty was not nice and I was feeling little cramps coming on everywhere up the last side of Tawonga, by the time I got back to Bright was feeling much better, stomach was not happy about halfway through, think I ate too much in the days before. Audax get 10/10 from me, event run like clockwork, the decending skills of some people on Falls Creek about 1/10. A guy a couple metres behind me was almost cleaned up by somebody who completely over shot a fairly easy corner and few k's before that I witnessed somebody else lose control over some bumps on the inside of a bend, he managed to save it but crikey why people bother to push it on the descents like that makes no sense to me.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:28 pm

I had a bit of trouble with riders sitting in the middle of the lane and plenty who didn't seem to be able to hold their line, had to give them a wide berth when passing. Most were plenty friendly and encouraging though and there were some maniacs riding bikes that looked to weigh a tonne or weren't what you'd call ideal for climbing :o
Some big bodies too, I kept that in mind when my legs were complaining. They had it relatively easy (the legs that is) :)

march83

Postby march83 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:04 pm

lazy 250 done and dusted. 620 start. back of falls was back of falls and my stomach was giving me those feelings a few km from the top of tawonga so it was a bit of a slow roll into town but otherwise a very nice day on the bike.

Probably had my fill of the 250 for a few years now - i think i'll stick to the 140 or 200 so i can do more descending down the big passes. Driving all that way and missing out on buffalo (both the climb and the descent) is no good.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:20 pm

I rode the ACE 250 for the first time in a few years (last time was the triple Buffalo). I expected it to be hotter on the back of Falls, but I'm glad it wasn't. I thought it was mostly over after Trapyard gap but there's still a heap of distance and climbing before Falls...

Didn't eat enough on either of the big climbs so I got to the stops exhausted and not feeling great, but recovered with food. A lot slower than my other two ACE 250s but I needed longer breaks to recover. Just glad to have completed it and legs are still feeling good.

The organisation and volunteers were superb as always.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 pm

My first go at the 250 - glad I managed to make it around although slower than I was hoping for.
Felt ok early on to Harrietville and going up Hotham, made what I thought was ok time getting to the ski bridge by 7am then made Dinner Plain by about 7:30
Ate and drank a reasonable amount there but probably hung around too long so was mostly solo down to Omeo.
Felt pretty nauseous with a pain in the guts on that stretch and was starting to think i'd pack it in at Omeo, but again ate, drank and rested and started feeling ok
Filled my bidon with the electrolyte formula they had there and that seemed to make a difference and so the ride down to Anglers Rest was much more comfortable.
Got to W T F corner and stopped for a minute to catch my breath before heading up, then up I went.
The first stretch is steep and nasty, but also short so once I was passed through that and onto the flatter section I thought "hey, this isn't so bad :) :) :)" - then came the second part...
I pushed as far as I could and passed another rider who was off and walking, and given my legs had started turning to jelly thought to myself - yep not a bad idea, so ended up walking about 1k then riding a few more, then walking another 1 etc
I did this until I could see the nastiest section was coming to an end so got back on and peddled through it. While all this was going on a lady was training by doing repeats up the back of falls (as you do) and passed me two or three times for my one ascent - fantastic effort!
Got to Rasberry Hill and sat on one of the camping mats they had on the ground and was so tempted to lay down, but thought better of it so got back on the bike for the last leg into Falls. As Hamish mentioned there is still quite a distance before the resort and tied with a reasonably strong headwind made for a tough ride.
My brother-in-law was good enough to ride up to Falls from Bright and meet me for the last leg home and although I was a little apprehensive about Tawonga Gap with 200+ ks in the legs, at a steady 6% for 7ks it was probably the easiest climb of the day :)
One thing I'll say is I was underprepared for the mtrs this ride throws at you. I had only done a few rides around Melbourne since Christmas and nothing more than 1300m in total.
As I rode back into Bright I thought "That's it, done the 250, never need or want to do it again!" but now in hindsight if I train better and plan my stops and food better I'd like to give it another go.
In comparison to the 200 this is a much much harder ride. Last year I rode the 200 with probably the same amount of prep and managed that ok but I was really suffering on Saturday.
Last edited by Gerry.M on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Kudos to those riding on their own. It's a tough gig as I found last year doing the 200. This year I did the ACE 250 and rode most of it in a group of five. It was hard going, especially in the heat for the back of Falls and Tawonga Gap. Still, I managed PBs for Hotham and the back of Falls so can't complain. Many thanks to Audax and all the great volunteers.