Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

ausrandoman

Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I have entered for the 320 km Ultimate and secured accommodation. All I have to do now is get fit enough :shock:

__PG__

Re: Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Postby __PG__ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm down for my first ACE250. Am now falling victim to analysis paralysis regarding choice of lights.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:52 pm

cruising 140. doing falls the day before and hotham the day after so I'll have had my fill of climbing by the time i get home :D

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm in. Haven't officially entered yet, but booked accommodation months ago. I'm waiting to see if I can do a qualifier for the 250 - looking at the Donna Buang / Lake Mountain Classic in early January. If I don't manage that, I'll do the 200 (which, to be honest, will be enough of a challenge).

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:38 pm

I'll probably be going the 250 but haven't decided yet. Booked accommodation a while ago to get in early.

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Flights, accommodation booked. Will be doing the 200 at this stage, want a bit of a challenge and haven't done any qualifying rides for the 250, hopefully that'll be the year after.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:44 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I have entered for the 320 km Ultimate and secured accommodation. All I have to do now is get fit enough :shock:
Yeah same.
I think I'll be using most of the 16.30hrs limit. Will have to reassess when I get to the Blue Duck Inn! (The beer there would taste pretty fine at that stage!!) :wink:
Looking forward to it.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Asked Audax about lighting for ACE 250 and whether my Light and Motion Urban 500 would be classified as an adequate back-up light (would I need to buy two new lights?). Here was part of their reply
Audax are currently looking at the possibility of allowing only one front light due to the increased quality of lights and their run times. However this has to pass many inter-club hurdles if it is to eventuate and is not the current situation.

Your current light (ed. Urban 500) may have issues as a primary, if the rules get changed, but we will certainly accept it as your backup at the Alpine.

As an aside, we have both used Ay-up for many years without ever having a problem and would give them our highest personal endorsement. Their excellent output saved me only a few weeks ago when a wombat ran across the road on my way home at night.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:23 pm

__PG__ wrote:I'm down for my first ACE250. Am now falling victim to analysis paralysis regarding choice of lights.
500 lumens is plenty - I am assuming the issue is really run time on your existing unit. (Although reach and throw angle do come into play for audaxing versus commuter lights).

With the early start for the ACE250, this means an extended run in darkness to Harrietville and the initial climb to Hotham. If you then encounter cloud and fog over Hotham and the BHP, this could require a lot of hours of lit time (even if some is on strobe).

In terms of analysis, there are 3 broad solutions to the run time problem:

* dynohubs - an elegant solution, but require a whole new wheelbuild, plus cabling.
* massive battery packs - long run times, but once they are dead, they are dead. Plus some cabling.
* replaceable batteries. Shorter run times, some fiddling to replace battery.

Ayups (2nd category) have an excellent reputation and a loyal following amongst audaxers, but they are pretty expensive.

Personally, I went the 3rd category, with a Lezyne Superdrive. Similar style, dimensions and output to your L&M, but you can replace the 18650 battery inside. I think it cost me about $80 on sale at torpedo7.com.au My backup is a $40 Aldi trail light (2nd category).

kb

Postby kb » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:42 am

madmacca wrote: ...
In terms of analysis, there are 3 broad solutions to the run time problem:

* dynohubs - an elegant solution, but require a whole new wheelbuild, plus cabling.
Rim dynos don't require this but perhaps are not effective enough?
madmacca wrote: * massive battery packs - long run times, but once they are dead, they are dead. Plus some cabling.
Or self-contained. No cabling and these days you'll get 24 hours at 500 lumen. Expensive though.
madmacca wrote: * replaceable batteries. Shorter run times, some fiddling to replace battery.
This sounds painful to me for a "single ride" but I guess is easier than charging over days.
madmacca wrote: Ayups (2nd category) have an excellent reputation and a loyal following amongst audaxers, but they are pretty expensive.

Personally, I went the 3rd category, with a Lezyne Superdrive. Similar style, dimensions and output to your L&M,
Hmm, it's been quite a while since I've looked at units with replaceable batteries . Maybe I should have another look as lighting is a fast moving area :-)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm looking at the Gloworm X2. Overkill for the ACE250 but can double as a good MTB and camping light system.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I entered for the 320 then thought I was mad, but thankfully my back's come good, in a relative sense that is.

Today I rode 155k at 29.5 kmh & my GPS recorded an average of 40 degrees... :shock:
8 bidons consumed and 3 'cooling off' breaks enroute....good training for the probable heat of the Alpine Classic?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:52 pm

__PG__ wrote:I'm looking at the Gloworm X2. Overkill for the ACE250 but can double as a good MTB and camping light system.
I have one and it's an excellent light. Good beam pattern and 9 hours run time at 600 lumens (5 hours at 1,000 lumens). I bought the optional alloy mount which is solid as a rock.

jemima

Postby jemima » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 pm

cavebear2 wrote:I entered for the 320 then thought I was mad, but thankfully my back's come good, in a relative sense that is.

Today I rode 155k at 29.5 kmh & my GPS recorded an average of 40 degrees... :shock:
8 bidons consumed and 3 'cooling off' breaks enroute....good training for the probable heat of the Alpine Classic?
It sure was a stinker out there today, along with a little bit of humidity.
Was going to ride to Mandurah and back, but only made it to south of Baldivis.
Sure was a learning experience.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:49 pm

cavebear2 wrote:I entered for the 320 then thought I was mad, but thankfully my back's come good, in a relative sense that is.

Good training? The Ultimate is not going to bother you!

Still riding the Burls?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:22 pm

i'll be up there for the week. really a holiday for me, the wife and some friends. I haven't entered anything but want to complete 7 peaks, so I may attempt the 250 ride in reverse to bag Falls and Dinner Plain. I haven't trained for that distance though, so I'm not 100% certain if it's a great idea. hydration could be a problem.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:18 pm

jules21 wrote:i'll be up there for the week. really a holiday for me, the wife and some friends. I haven't entered anything but want to complete 7 peaks, so I may attempt the 250 ride in reverse to bag Falls and Dinner Plain. I haven't trained for that distance though, so I'm not 100% certain if it's a great idea. hydration could be a problem.
I would have thought that hydration wouldn't be a major issue in reverse, as you are doing the tougher climbs downhill. The hard part would be the Dinner Plain climb, although you could refill your water bottles at Victoria River at Cobungra plains (maybe I'm just a bushwalker used to getting water from rivers)?? Not sure if there are any seeps from the side of the road on the road to Dinner Plain (especially in an El Nino year). Obviously you will have to judge things based on the weather forecast and temperatures on the day.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:51 pm

I've finished my training. Feel stronger than at the same time last year when I did the Alpine 200, but you always think you could have done more.

Now wondering about how much food I need to take to make it it Dinner Plain after a light breakfast at 3:30 am, as well as thinking about getting a frame bag if the weather is inclement to pack extra rain gear.

On the other hand, if it's going to be 30+ degrees I'm thinking of taking one of these for breakfast.

I am the kind of person who sweats a lot. I rode Melbourne-Macedon on Christmas morning in a stonking headwind and when I arrived at my Uncle's the family dogs all came over and licked me. I was a very salty treat.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:58 pm

recommend you:
- check out food load properly. 60g per hour of carbohydrates is the standard from memory. (about 2 bananas) don't overeat.
- get your hydration right - start out well hydrated from past 2 days and drink consistently during the ride. easy to neglect drinking as you tire.
- consider salt tablets or hydration powder if it's hot, apparently the 'science' says you need to replace salts, electrolytes.
- get your pacing right - so many people start out too fast and crawl into the finish (i.e. - me!)

good luck!

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I've been riding with normal Skratch powder for years and I've never suffered cramps/dehydration (except when I actually run out of available water).
As for eating, I generally go through a turnover/sausage potato cake every 30 km or so when pushing hard (plus additional lollies/gel shots when appropriate). During my training rides I found out how much easier it is to keep pushing hard as long as I kept eating. Keep feeding glycogen to your legs is the logic I guess.

Last year I had no dramas fitness wise with the 200 but I did have dramas with my stomach. Testing in the past few months suggests that when I have more than one Clif bar my gut goes nuts. So I don't use them on long rides anymore.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Looks like cool weather with rain will come through late next week around Thursday/Friday. Sunday at this stage looks like ideal riding weather with still a hint of a southerly keeping temperatures mild (i.e. below 30).
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Had to pull the pin. There might be a motel room available at the buffalo motel in porepunkah if anyone needs accomodation.
I cancelled my booking.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:34 am

After seeing someone is coming from Darwin, I decided to stop waiting for that mythical year where I would be super fit, and so I've signed up for the 200, 4am start.

It is only an hours drive away and I always have somewhere to stay in Bright, so I have no excuse...

Went for a ride up Buffalo yesterday as I've done little real climbing this summer and wanted to test my form. I was happy enough and I think I worked out a pace that will hopefully keep me fresh enough to get up Falls in reasonable shape later in the day

That's the plan anyway..

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:26 pm

hitchhiker wrote:After seeing someone is coming from Darwin, I decided to stop waiting for that mythical year where I would be super fit, and so I've signed up for the 200, 4am start.
That would be me that's coming from Darwin. Currently down in Melbourne at the moment and heading up there probably Thursday at this stage. I've done no where near enough training for me to be happy but I'm still going to give the 200 a crack.

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Good luck on the ride!

If you see a guy on a TCR, number 313, come say hello