Reflective clothing

find_bruce

Reflective clothing

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:16 pm

I enjoy Audax rides, but one of the inconveniences is the reflective garment requirements. Yes I could wear a ubiquitous vest, but I don't like them, mainly because I find I get too hot. I tried a sam brown type reflective belt, but it tore on the first use.

What ways have you come up with to meet the requirements ?

biker jk

Re: Reflective clothing

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm

I use a Nathan Cycling Reflective vest. It's mesh, so doesn't get hot and is very light.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... 9452_-1___

That link is not where I bought it but just to show what it looks like.

robHflyte

Postby robHflyte » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:53 pm

A new line of Audax gear launching soon. great looking gear.
Robert

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks bikerjk & Rob. I was hoping someone would link to that style of vest as they seem popular. Hopefully the new Audax gear as well as looking good will also meet the requirements :)

I am a bit torn in that I would like a reflective jersey, but that means a gillet or jacket would also have to meet the requirements. The advantage of a vest is that it goes over whatever I'm wearing.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:20 pm

find_bruce wrote:Thanks bikerjk & Rob. I was hoping someone would link to that style of vest as they seem popular. Hopefully the new Audax gear as well as looking good will also meet the requirements :)

I am a bit torn in that I would like a reflective jersey, but that means a gillet or jacket would also have to meet the requirements. The advantage of a vest is that it goes over whatever I'm wearing.
The new Audax vest has reflective strips. However, I can think of situations where it would be too hot, such as riding early evening where arm warmers and jersey would be sufficient. A breathable reflective vest like the one I have provides a lot more flexibility.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:34 pm

At last year's AAC, they were handing out a very lightweight mesh vest.

I also have a wind gillet (Sportful) that meets the requirements, which saves me from having to carry 2 items on cooler events. But would definitely be too hot on warmer evenings.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 pm

The standard $5 audax reflective vest, the one on the far right below, (it's a "large" size I think, regular best for most folks), is just what you want, , very light, mesh, very cool, folds to nothing, easy fit into a jersey pocket, available from many ride organisers at the start, let them know before or contact the regional president to organise
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

rooftop

Postby rooftop » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 am

I'm using this vest - https://www.velogear.com.au/clothing/cy ... 34913.html. It's not too bad heat wise - but I haven't tried it on a really hot day yet.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Another vote for a mesh vest. I've worn them labouring up b----y great mountains in summer heat. The ventilation is excellent and so is the reflectivity.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:I enjoy Audax rides, but one of the inconveniences is the reflective garment requirements. Yes I could wear a ubiquitous vest, but I don't like them, mainly because I find I get too hot. I tried a sam brown type reflective belt, but it tore on the first use.

What ways have you come up with to meet the requirements ?
I use a MonkeySee Harness, which provides the reflective bit without the vest bit.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks for the comments re mesh vests - I am obviously a bit more sensitive than most as I have used a vest, but notice that it pushes my temp up a bit, even in spring & autumn.

The monkey see harness looks good - even less vest than the Nathan vest. I wasn't sure if the strips were 10mm wide. The other one I have been looking at is the Proviz vest - similar design to the Nathan but all reflective.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:Thanks for the comments re mesh vests - I am obviously a bit more sensitive than most as I have used a vest, but notice that it pushes my temp up a bit, even in spring & autumn.

The monkey see harness looks good - even less vest than the Nathan vest. I wasn't sure if the strips were 10mm wide. The other one I have been looking at is the Proviz vest - similar design to the Nathan but all reflective.
The straps are easily more than 10mm, but it is a twin stripe down the strap that is reflective. However, considering I got mine from the organisers of an Audax ride at the start of an Audax ride, I am assuming they pass the test. I have video of them in the dark from the Newcastle Overnight, where lots of riders used them, and they stand out far better than the vests and you barely notice you have them on.
That's what I am taking to the AAC with me, but I know they'll give me a vest as well anyway. I only have to wear it for about 2.5 hours, so I'll be packing it into my saddle bag at the first checkpoint after sunrise.

See the video below for the MonkeySee in action (23s in - the guy behind me is wearing one)

https://youtu.be/vGGEJypWnyo?t=23s
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:Thanks for the comments re mesh vests - I am obviously a bit more sensitive than most as I have used a vest, but notice that it pushes my temp up a bit, even in spring & autumn.

Note that the Nathan is cycling specific and has a long tail with reflective material which is visible from behind. The Proviz is a running vest.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Saw this the other day while I was waiting for the missus in Ikea (it was with the bike stuff, of course).
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70315742/

It's got nice pocket at the back with a zip for your phone.

Don't know if it's Audax legal.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 pm

biker jk wrote:

Note that the Nathan is cycling specific and has a long tail with reflective material which is visible from behind. The Proviz is a running vest.
The long tail is a good point, especially for Bruce's butt.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:The long tail is a good point, especially for Bruce's butt.
I was thinking of adding some shorts for when I am riding in front of you, like this but with the fingers rearranged

monkeyme

Postby monkeyme » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Hello queequeg, thanks so much for the plug re the monkeysee harness. I'm Denise and I'm the founder of monkeysee, glad to hear you like the harness, there are many that do, actually one is being worn right now in the TransAtlantic Way race by a terrific Aussie gal. Anyways, I wanted to let you know that we've now produced a harnesses with a single 10mm reflective strip and this has just arrived...if you (or anyone else) are keen for one use the code REFLECTIVE to get $4.50 off (free shipping essentially) til 20 June 2018. BTW, loads of riders wear the current version and I've never had anyone say they have been pulled up on it but this one clearly ticks the Audax box because it is one strip vs 2 that make the 10mm requirement. See you Denise https://www.monkeysee.net.au/collection ... llow-audax
queequeg wrote:

The straps are easily more than 10mm, but it is a twin stripe down the strap that is reflective. However, considering I got mine from the organisers of an Audax ride at the start of an Audax ride, I am assuming they pass the test. I have video of them in the dark from the Newcastle Overnight, where lots of riders used them, and they stand out far better than the vests and you barely notice you have them on.
That's what I am taking to the AAC with me, but I know they'll give me a vest as well anyway. I only have to wear it for about 2.5 hours, so I'll be packing it into my saddle bag at the first checkpoint after sunrise.

See the video below for the MonkeySee in action (23s in - the guy behind me is wearing one)

https://youtu.be/vGGEJypWnyo?t=23s

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Don't know if it's Audax legal.
If it's more than 10mm wide it is.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ