Recommendations for beginners?

hartleymartin

Recommendations for beginners?

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi everyone. I've done some cycle touring and recreational riding in the past. I was wondering what are recommended rides for beginners who want to get into Audax/Randonneuring.

I would be interested in some of the shorter beginner rides and when they turn up in the calendar.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

HappyHumber

Re: Recommendations for beginners?

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:09 pm

a little cumbersome as it is.... use the calendar search function from the club website to filter by your home state and distance range.

The time limit allowances to complete the various distances are quite liberal; but you do have to remember the time limit is total elapsed time, not moving time - so breaks for coffee, pie & vanilla snot block en-route needs to be factored in.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

HappyHumber wrote:vanilla snot block
Had to Google this. Despite it being a staple of my Friday lunches for 6 years of high school, I have never heard the term. Thanks! :shock:
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 pm

HappyHumber wrote: The time limit allowances to complete the various distances are quite liberal; but you do have to remember the time limit is total elapsed time, not moving time - so breaks for coffee, pie & vanilla snot block en-route needs to be factored in.
ok, inquisitive idiot time - which button is hiding the time limit?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 am

Thoglette wrote:ok, inquisitive idiot time - which button is hiding the time limit?
As I understand it is based on 15 km/h overall. Kim I am sure can confirm or correct.

EDIT: See https://www.audax.org.au/public/riderinfo/time-limits

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 am

tcdev wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:vanilla snot block
Had to Google this. Despite it being a staple of my Friday lunches for 6 years of high school, I have never heard the term. Thanks! :shock:
Sheltered life :D :lol:

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:Sheltered life :D :lol:
I asked my wife and she suggested that the term was "made up" by HappyHumber. Of course, the number of hits in Google put paid to her theory.

I noticed one link claimed it was a "Victorian" term. I tend to avoid that state when I can since nothing good ever came from there. Plus, well, Melbourne is there. :P :P :P
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 am

"Shorter" is of course a relative term. A lot of the rides out of Northern Sydney, Hornsby etc, involve climbs at the start, end and in between. Rides starting in the west can be flatter until you start hitting the mountains. There is though still a lot of very pleasant riding on quieter roads. Some of the best are the night ones like the coming Newcastle Overnight (172 kms) , lot of company most of the way but often very dark, quiet bits where you can be on your own, just you and the bike and great support too.

I took up Audaxing because I couldn't find the time for longer touring, people said it was just "faster touring" so I started just using my Vivente tourer, rack, mud guards, 37mm marathons and 1 kg kickstand and all, even a pannier to carry my several kgs of food and tools with 2.5 L of water, they said you were supposed to be self supporting. Did my first 20 200km brevets with the Vivente but slowly (bit of a slow learner) dispensing with heavier bits.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc