Canyon MTB sizing

Mububban

Canyon MTB sizing

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:49 am

So for n+1 I'm considering a mountain bike and have my eye on saving up for a Strive AL. According to the Canyon sizing system, I fit a Large. I'm 189cm.
When visiting my LBS and talking Giant bikes, the guy who is the same height and build as me, recommended an XL as he personally finds a Large a bit tight for him.

Can anyone offer any feedback on MTB sizing? I read elsewhere that Canyon's MTB sizing recommendations tends to run a bit small.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

tomness

Re: Canyon MTB sizing

Postby tomness » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I am 191 cm and ride an XL mtb. i can't speak for Canyon sizing, as I have never tried one. However I have test ridden or owned XL sized mountain bikes by Santa Cruz, Trek, Specialized, Ibis and Pivot and would say that a Large would be too small for me.

Back in the day i did own a Large sized Santa Cruz Blur, which at the time was fine. I am happier on an XL sized bike now though.

The obvious caveat though is that my body geometry and bike size preference could be quite different to you. Kalamunda cycles have a XL sized Trek fuel EX that you can rent / demo if you want to get a gauge of MTB sizing geometry. I am pretty sure Wembley cycles do rent / demo with various Specialized as well.

lard

Postby lard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm 182cm and I've always riden a Large MTB across several bikes (All Giant tho). I think an XL would be more your fit, but it also depends on the style of rider you are. Some guys like a smaller frame that is more 'chuckable', while others like a bigger bike that's more stable.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 pm

lard wrote:I'm 182cm and I've always riden a Large MTB across several bikes (All Giant tho). I think an XL would be more your fit, but it also depends on the style of rider you are. Some guys like a smaller frame that is more 'chuckable', while others like a bigger bike that's more stable.

I am a slow noob, stability is more important than chuckability :) And knowing my physical abilities, I'll never be shredding anything so maybe XL is the way to go!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!