Moron Motorists #3

Summernight

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:01 am

To the carpy car driver yesterday evening who decided to floor it to overtake me on the right as the lights turned green only to hook in left right in front of me 20 metres later to park, necessitating me braking and going around on his right - take a chill pill and wait those 2 seconds next time. It'll save us all some stress.

And to the tradie who parked on Collins St and opened his door without looking into the path of an oncoming cyclist this morning, said cyclist then saying to you "Oi!" as he swerves around your door (And I'm pretty sure that was all he said) to which you responded "F Off!" - get your head read. We all want to live when on the roads. If you get run over by a car when you cross the street as a ped I hope the driver doesn't say to you "F Off!" like you said to the cyclist. :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:58 pm

warning: ungentlemanly language used in this video

i met up with this genius in a narrow street, only room for one due to parked cars. nowhere for me to go, moron can pull in behind parked car. except moron either gets confused, or reasons that since i'm on a bike, i should somehow pull over. i think the latter. moron gets a friendly whack on their car window to remind them of the value of courtesy when travelling in their automobile.

i think they tried to play chicken, but i didn't flinch :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Woman in a small sedan at a roundabout in Noosa this morning, I was more than 3/4 of the way through the roundabout but she still pulled out in front of me anyway, good thing I was expecting it and had the brakes covered or I probably would have gone through her door.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Watched a guy lose control of his lovely little black motorbike in full team colours on a suburban street.

The thing looked to be going a bit fast and then all the sudden it twitched and the front went out from under it, to the right - sending the rider skidding down the road off the left side of his bike, following it as the bike skidded and sparked to a halt against a parked blue car (after it the bike bounced over a roundabout island.

Lots of people also saw it. He went from being upright and straight to on the ground very fast. Rider appeared to be okay, though he was refusing to say a word to anyone at first. Ironically he went running after his bike... :shock: he was very lucky that one, no cars hit him and two, that his bike didn't hit anything else. I think the bike just stopped before it touched the parked blue hatch back.

iSamurai

Postby iSamurai » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:25 am

To the two bogans in a dark grey Audi A4 on Annerley Rd in Woolloongabba QLD on Sunday at around 11:30am... I was on the cycling lane, but you don't need to act like hardcore gangsters, rolled down your window (yes, it was raining, and I must commend your effort to get wet voluntarily) and "pew pew pew"' me with your invisible gun whilst throwing in a bunch of expletives. I'd much rather see you using that talent to play an air guitar or something.

May I also take this opportunity to point out that you demonstrated the power of your impressive, expensive, luxurious, turbocharged, imported car with your silly little "getaway". But that's fine, because there just happens to be a construction on the side with an imposed speed limit of 40km/h.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Something to chew over.

Sent an email to SITA regarding this risky piece of driving.

Why does it always look further away on video?

Bugger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jspqgwHq ... hxdyNpNhaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slow fatty

Postby slow fatty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 pm

zero wrote:The van driver sounds like a tool, but by the same token, if the traffic is stopped and your are on the outside of it, bombing into an intersection at 50 is eventually going to get you right crossed. ie you do have to ride to the conditions, and heavy traffic is not always suitable for doing 50 in.
Couldn't agree more, not a lot of sympathy from me for Luke who should learn to ride more defensively. Even though he didn't technically do anything wrong, that is cold comfort when lying in a hospital bed.
Last edited by slow fatty on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:08 pm

#YOLO!

slow fatty

Postby slow fatty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:#YOLO!
I'm guessing you're a lot younger than me Luke. As someone with a family who rely on me I can't afford to share the same attitude.
If you're forced to slow down and speed up again by bad drivers, just think of it as interval training.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Kenzo wrote:Can someone please pass on to me a link to the current road regs in qld? A PM would be handy as I will miss the post in this thread... Not here enough ..

Thanks in advance.
PM sent
A belated public 'Thank you'.

Much appreciated.

takai

Postby takai » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 am

After 3 months of barely any incidents, ive now been hit/scraped by two cars in about 12hrs. First was a Mazda 3 which puled out of a side street without looking. I swerved enough to miss most of the car, but clipped the headlight and front bar with my pedal. Stopped just on the other side of the car and she drove off. Was dusk and no headlights so i couldnt see the plates.
Then this morning i had a pair of idiots turn left across the bike lane without looking and without indicating. Luckily i was going slow enough that i didnt come off the bike (red light ahead) but still busted a spoke on the front wheel. They copped a dent just behind the door, and then another one in the door from my left foot as i was already unclipped (inertia, not deliberate). They drove off too, and had no plates.

Definitely setting up my spare helmet with a camera and more lights.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:36 am

Ouch Takai. Hope you and the bike are okay. That's pathetic that in both your incidents the cars didn't stop even though I am assuming they clearly knew they'd hit you.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am

How do people not care about anyone else? Hope you didn't sustain any major injuries Takai. The number plate ID is the major reason that I got a camera. After a few close calls I noticed that I was more concentrated on missing the incident and missed number plates etc.. Although that doesn't help when the doughnut doesn't have any number plates. :roll:

Has anyone else noticed that you can go for a couple of weeks without an incident, but then all of a sudden, you'll have 3 near misses in 2 days? No idea how that works..

I've had a couple of close calls over the past 2 days while I've been on the $10 bike challenge [which has no camera mount]. Had one guy just reverse straight out of a driveway without looking and nearly cleaned me up so I gave him a serve 10m away at the intersection; had I have been more conscious that I was on a $10 bike and not one of my other bikes, I should've just jumped off and let the bike go straight into the car. Anyway, decided to chuck the camera back on the helmet just in case and got another moron in a school zone this morning. Too busy taking her kids to school (20m up the road), to even stop at a stop sign. She only looked left when she entered the intersection, just to try and beat the car coming up the hill.

takai

Postby takai » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah, im fine. No really bad contact to my person, ive learnt to sacrifice the bike instead. Neither were as bad as a DH/4X stack anyway.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 am

What is it with foolish parents at local schools - I had one this morning as well.

After dropping off my youngest two at school I was riding to work, past another school with a crossing and a "lolly pop lady" at the crossing. I was rolling on a down hill in the about 100m of backed up traffic due to the lolly pop lady making sure that the kids crossed safely (she does a great job). I was leaving a car length between myself and the ute in front like usual (so i don't have to stop but just slow a little in the traffic) when one of the ever so "smart mum's" decided to honk me pull into the bus bay to my left :roll: - floor it, nearly clean up a few high school students, brakes hard and stops behind the stationary ute (nearly running up the back of it). What a MM. After the lolly pop lady removed the stop sign - she passed over the crossing turned right at a side street - then stopped to let her kids out (one of them who looked about 8 y.o. from the right side of the car nearly loosing both the door and getting injured :roll: ).

I was going to follow her to let her know how silly she was endangering herself, her kids, and many others - but thought what's the point; something about pearls before swine came to mind came to mind as I rode away.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 pm

She was probably desperate to get back to her morning TV show with home shopping, make-up tips, and all the latest fashions and Hollywood gossip.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 pm

the less you have to do, the more frazzled with managing your time you tend to get.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:45 pm

slow fatty wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:#YOLO!
I'm guessing you're a lot younger than me Luke.
A true 90's prodigy in the flesh. What part of the 90's? Well lets just say I wore the bright orange Stackhat when riding bikes :P

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Yeah! Orange stackhats were the bomb. Lol. Theres even a lady in Ballarat who still cruises around with one. :-)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

jules21 wrote:the less you have to do, the more frazzled with managing your time you tend to get.
:lol: sounds about right to me!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kind_cir

Postby Kind_cir » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Watch the vid on the first post and that was totally wrong of the driver. I don't do that, ... That's just idiot insane.
I ride a fold up bike inside my house ... but put it in the cupboard when done so the Mrs don't whinge.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 am

A bloke that works at Brisbane, Oxley bunnings in the old two tone mint green holden early 60,s That likes getting behind cyclists and blowing the air horn to scare the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! out of them and when you confront him he tells you that he only does it just for fun.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 am

Dragster1 wrote:A bloke that works at Brisbane, Oxley bunnings in the old two tone mint green holden early 60,s That likes getting behind cyclists and blowing the air horn to scare the showtime out of them and when you confront him he tells you that he only does it for just for fun.
i sympathise with the bloke. we don't have enough fun in today's world. i might put my foot in his door panel for fun, too :)

approaching pedestrian/zebra crossing this morning near work and pedestrian waiting to cross. i stop, taxi approaches at full speed - clearly with the intent to proceed - but stops, probably after seeing me stop in the bike lane. then someone else walks up to the crossing and he just blow through - i guess he did stop (for the first person).

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:47 am

Dragster1 wrote:A bloke that works at Brisbane, Oxley bunnings in the old two tone mint green holden early 60,s That likes getting behind cyclists and blowing the air horn to scare the showtime out of them and when you confront him he tells you that he only does it just for fun.
I hate damaging panels on cars like that because I know how much of a PITA it can be to get that sucker straight again. However, in this instance I would be inclined to return the favor by scaring the daylights out of him by kicking either the door panel or one with a nice crease line which would be a PITA to get straight again.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:56 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:I hate damaging panels on cars like that because I know how much of a PITA it can be to get that sucker straight again. However, in this instance I would be inclined to return the favor by scaring the daylights out of him by kicking either the door panel or one with a nice crease line which would be a PITA to get straight again.
stop being such a glass-half-empty person. it's not cruel, it's just "fun" :)