Safe legalised passing distance

CycleSnail

Safe legalised passing distance

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 pm

There has been more discussion about a legalised safe passing distance recently, partly in response to a judgement in Queensland that acquited a truck driver who passed close to a cyclist, causing death. The Australian Road Rules "recommend" a safe distance when a car passes a bicycle, but it is not a legalised distance. The Amy Gillett foundation has been campaigning for a one meter distance for some years, and the BTA has been a staunch supporter of a legalised passing distance (unlike some other West Australian cycling organisations). It is pleasing to see that the CEO of the Amy Gillett foundation is coming to Perth, and it will be useful to understand the implication (and resistance) to this measure. Some background and links can be found on the BTA website, as well as a larger paper that deals with the problems of people on bicycles in traffic.

Good afternoon

I am pleased to advise that the CEO from the Amy Gillett Foundation is coming to WA and will be at the RAC on Tuesday 13 August from 9.30am to 11am.

Ms Tracey Gaudry will be presenting on the work of the Amy Gillett Foundation over the past 18months.

Given the recent activity around legislating for a 1m passing distance, it is an ideal time to hear about the Foundations work in this area.

You are welcome to pass this invitation onto anyone you think may benefit from attending the event.

Please RSVP to marianne.carey@rac.com.au to secure your seat. Morning tea will be provided.

Kind Regards Marianne

Marianne Carey
Road User Coordinator
Royal Automobile Club of WA (inc.)
Level 4, 832 Wellington Street, West Perth WA 6005
T 08 94364524 m 04 35966192
E marianne.carey@rac.com.au W rac.com.au
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Tornado

Re: Safe legalised passing distance

Postby Tornado » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:45 pm

2ndWomble responds in 3, 2, 1 ......

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I simply can't be arsed anymore tbh. I am meeting with their new Advocacy Manager the next time he's in Brisbane for a coffee or beer or whatever, but I'm not too optimistic.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:12 am

Shame. I like a metre, but I love 1.5.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 am

Tornado wrote:Shame. I like a metre, but I love 1.5.
I think is for a 1 meter MINIMUM, and 1.5 meters if the car speed is above 60 kmh

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:19 am

CycleSnail wrote:I think is for a 1 meter MINIMUM, and 1.5 meters if the car speed is above 60 kmh
I regularly get down to 10kph on short hills where the road beside me is 60kph (especially Pacific Highway). With a 50kph difference between me and a car, 1m is NOT enough. I choose to illegally ride on the footpath in certain sections of Pacific Highway where I know I slow down specifically due to this, out of my own personal preservation.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 am

BastardSheep wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:I think is for a 1 meter MINIMUM, and 1.5 meters if the car speed is above 60 kmh
I regularly get down to 10kph on short hills where the road beside me is 60kph (especially Pacific Highway). With a 50kph difference between me and a car, 1m is NOT enough. I choose to illegally ride on the footpath in certain sections of Pacific Highway where I know I slow down specifically due to this, out of my own personal preservation.
So would I!!!

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 am

I'd be happy with 1 foot some times.
There is a stretch of road on the last leg to home where the same vehicle brushes past me by inches going 80km/hr then continues along the bicycle shoulder, every time he passess me. It's usually once a week, sometimes more. I've never had an issue with this driver before.

What can I do besides fork out for a camera?

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Is ti worth asking the Police to monitor the area at specific days/times the bad driver is around?

PS: what area is it?

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 pm

in the words of Colin Lane.....

yeees, oh yeees, yep, yippidy, yeah. oh yeah baby. oh yes.yep yep.yep. oh yeah..........no
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

zues

Postby zues » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Rex wrote
I'd be happy with 1 foot some times.
There is a stretch of road on the last leg to home where the same vehicle brushes past me by inches going 80km/hr then continues along the bicycle shoulder, every time he passess me. It's usually once a week, sometimes more. I've never had an issue with this driver before.

What can I do besides fork out for a camera?
Rex, get his number plate post it here and report him to police for dangerous driving.
Also let us know where this is occurring so we can avoid the @hole!!

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Jandakot Rd, around 5-5:30pm weekdays

Yep will be looking for his plate number next time, when Im not giving him the bird or blowing him kisses :)

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Rex wrote: What can I do besides fork out for a camera?
Local postie said there will be $50 cameras in the catalogue next week which may do the job