Parafin Wax

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Parafin Wax

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Super Cheap Auto sell it as well.
This place has got EVERYthing!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Except paraffin wax :|
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:41 pm

It was MoS2 they recommended, not graphite. Just sayin....

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 am

Woolies here had the parafin wax next to the flour.....

mick243

Postby mick243 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 pm

the molybdenum disulphide poweder can be sourced from CBC bearings in 500gm tins, its very exxy, and you need maybe 2 gramms.... the sub micron size is better than the 4.7 micron size.

both the moly and the teflon will settle out of solution over time.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm

mick243 wrote:the molybdenum disulphide poweder can be sourced from CBC bearings in 500gm tins, its very exxy, and you need maybe 2 gramms.... the sub micron size is better than the 4.7 micron size.

both the moly and the teflon will settle out of solution over time.
or Flea bay
1 oz MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE Moly MoS2 Powder SUPER FINE 1-2 micron BEST LUBE GRADE

½ oz MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE Moly MoS2 Powder SUPER FINE 1-2 micron BEST LUBE GRADE

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm

http://www.ecovelo.info/2011/10/10/chain-waxing-101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 am

Has anyone tried bees wax. it is softer and hence more flexible than paraffin wax - may stay on the chain longer as a result.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am

Cruiserman wrote:Has anyone tried bees wax. it is softer and hence more flexible than paraffin wax - may stay on the chain longer as a result.
Everything I've read said not to use bees wax although some people advocate combining it with parafin wax at various ratio's but 80% parafin 20% bees wax was recommended by at least a few people.

I did a wet ride yesterday on a freshly waxed chain and the Parafin was horrible. 60km in and it was grinding pretty bad and I was still 80km from home.

Its definitely a "dry weather" lube. Good news is the chain is still clean, don't know how much I wore off it though but this particular chain is almost up for replacement anyway..
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 pm

With the replacement chain, are you gonna degrease and wax when new?

Dunno whether I should do that for my new chain.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 pm

QuangVuong wrote:With the replacement chain, are you gonna degrease and wax when new?

Dunno whether I should do that for my new chain.
I've been thinking exactly the same question.

I've decided that I'll run the standard chain until the bike needs its next wash at which time I'll degrease & wax it.

This is because from what I read in the friction facts report the chain beds in during the first few hours of usage and some metal fragments will come out. As such waxing without the bed-in would be less effective.

If the rain is going to keep up here I'll be going to a wet lube as the wax fared really poorly in the wet.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 am

The chain arrived, and I chose to wax it new, as the factory lube was quite sticky.

Didn't have a good time with melting the wax though. I pulled out the old stove and went outside, as I didn't want to stink up the house. Somehow I hit the flash point, and I had to put it out with water. Lost quite a bit of wax, but at least my chain wasn't in there at the time. With the remaining wax, I continued with more issues. Loose gas pipe caught fire , but died right away after I turned off the gas.

Didn't wanna risk it anymore, so I went up to the kitchen and continued successfully.

NOTE: if the wax goes a brownish colour, its getting too hot! It'll soon hit its flash point,so cool it ASAP before that happens.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 am

barefoot wrote:
sparco wrote:
barefoot wrote:the wax I get comes in round plastic take-away food containers. Looks like this:
...which says that it's 200g per serve. Should be about $3 each at your supermarket.
Which supermarket and isle did you get this from? It is not coming up from Coles online.
Ah, the million dollar question.

They seem to move it around the supermarket in a random manner.

I don't think they really know how to categorise it, and what stuff to put it with. Sometimes it's in the health food section, sometimes in the baking goods along with flour and sugar (and pectin and baking soda and citric acid and... paraffin wax, obviously).

I tend to wander aimlessly through the supermarket for several grocery trips until I see it, then I grab a few tubs of it to see me though until next time I find some. I have asked a worker before, and they had no idea at all - even after I found some and showed the same kid, he just looked blankly at me.

I usually get it at Coles, where I'm in the habit of grocery shopping, but I've sporadically seen it in Woolies and IGA and MaxiFoods before. Every time I see it I do a mental stocktake of whether I might need some soon, just in case they hide it again when I really do need some :lol:

tim
Each supermarket now has an APP for smartphones (even the local Foodworks). Scan the barcode in and it will tell you which aisle to find it in (most of the time it is right). Aisle 5 in the central Ballarat Coles store Tim.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:55 pm

There is no shortage of wax supplies online. Take your pick.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm

QuangVuong wrote:The chain arrived, and I chose to wax it new, as the factory lube was quite sticky.

Didn't have a good time with melting the wax though. I pulled out the old stove and went outside, as I didn't want to stink up the house. Somehow I hit the flash point, and I had to put it out with water. Lost quite a bit of wax, but at least my chain wasn't in there at the time. With the remaining wax, I continued with more issues. Loose gas pipe caught fire , but died right away after I turned off the gas.

Didn't wanna risk it anymore, so I went up to the kitchen and continued successfully.

NOTE: if the wax goes a brownish colour, its getting too hot! It'll soon hit its flash point,so cool it ASAP before that happens.
That's crazy dude, get yourself a cheap crock pot from ebay or your local $2 shop. My wife asked her waxing lady and they never turn off their crock pot full of wax, it stays on 24/7 and has done for several years without issue.

When I do mine I just put the crock pot on "low heat" throw the chain in and after a few hours whenever I remember go and fish it out. No chance of fire.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:42 pm

200km update. This chain was cleaned up of the original oil and waxed up. 200km later, the cassette and chain look like this(no cleaning at all). Its been ridden in the wet once(about 15km), and I have hosed down the bike a few times, but the chain is still very very quiet. How far have you gone on your chain Deon?

I waxed up one of my old chains which went noisy, but I think I will go waxed from new from now onwards. I left my old chain in fuel and agitated it, and repeated til the fuel remained clear. Once out of the wax and installed, the wax came out black. Must still not have cleaned up the chain fully.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Probably about 300km mate before it started getting noisey to the point of needing to be re-done so at 200km you arn't far off.

It doesn't last as long as I expected from what I'd read online.

I've found if you lube with Rock N Roll after the wax job gets noisey its very easy to keep the chain real clean and quiet so you arn't having to re-wax so often.

The wax for sure is the ultimate though, pity its so time intensive but I'll continue to do it after each bike wash but once the wax gets noisey I'll switch to rock n roll until the bike needs a wash again..

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 pm

The reason I began waxing my chains was because RnR Gold makes the drive train dirty as. I think Ill keep mine only wax, and see how far it goes.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 pm

QuangVuong wrote:The reason I began waxing my chains was because RnR Gold makes the drive train dirty as. I think Ill keep mine only wax, and see how far it goes.
You only need a very small amount of wet lube on a between-waxings chain, because the voids in the chain are mostly filled with wax and there's nowhere for the wet lube to go.

I don't think waxing is particularly labour intensive, because I use the wax bath as a cleaner as well. As you found above when you waxed after solvent-cleaning the chain, wax does an amazing job of getting the dirt out, even when there's apparently no dirt left in there.

So, rather than giving the chain a thorough agitating solvent bath, I give it a hot wax bath. Swings and roundabouts. While it's in the hot wok "cooking", I do some other little maintenance jobs on the bike, then pull it out, install it and we're good to ride.

tim

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Nah, I wont be using any wet lubes on my chain. What I meant was, before, when I was running lubed chains, RnR Gold made everything filthy. Wax is currently working well for me. Super clean and quiet chain.

Waxing is quick for me as well, other than the mishap I had at the beginning of August.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:57 pm

QuangVuong wrote:The reason I began waxing my chains was because RnR Gold makes the drive train dirty as. I think Ill keep mine only wax, and see how far it goes.
How were you using the RnR?

The correct proceedure is to apply a somewhat excessive amount, wipe off as much as you can then leave the bike overnight for it to dry. Its a very clean lube if used correctly and it ranks really high in the friction facts tests.

Not as good as waxing but perfect for "between" waxing.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:26 pm

I removed the chain, and hung it up. Pretty much poured the lube starting up top then headed down making sure I lubed each roller. Wiped off after 5 mins or so, then reinstall on the bike. I dunno, but its always ended up dirty.

So far Im happy with the cleanliness of waxed chains.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:54 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I removed the chain, and hung it up. Pretty much poured the lube starting up top then headed down making sure I lubed each roller. Wiped off after 5 mins or so, then reinstall on the bike. I dunno, but its always ended up dirty.

So far Im happy with the cleanliness of waxed chains.
The way I use RNR.

Pedal backwards with the bike on the work stand and poor the lub on until you get it starting to drip onto the floor.

Get a rag, run the chain through it and wipe off as much as you can.

Leave overnight.

Definitely not as clean as a wax job but says cleaner than any other lube I've used.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:17 pm

650km update. Since my last post, I have not re-waxed the chain, bit there was in need to. The chain is still quiet, unless I'm cross chaining(big ring, big cog. Other way is fine). It's still very clean too. I have given it a wipe sometime in its life, but this is after 110km today.
The rear cogs are pretty clean.

The inner chaining has done about 550km since the first wax so it has gotten a little bit dirty. The big ring which I used for all of today is clean on the sides, and a little dirty on the teeth side(where it meshes with the rollers.

Anyway, this won't be doing too much work for the months coming until I get a new wheelset. I'll try to hit 1000km on the chain.

ianK

Postby ianK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:43 pm

barefoot wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the best (readily available) source of PTFE would be? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would be?

From what I've read thats the absolute best stuff to put into your wax. I bought the "friction facts" report and the guy there does a parafin wax brew but doesn't disclose the exact recipie however it seemed that PTFE was the key additive.
Like I said in my post - teflon-based engine treatment.

I'm firmly of the belief that PTFE (teflon) is a bad thing to put in an engine, but given that they do, it's an easy source.

I use Fowlers Vaccola canning wax, which comes from the supermarket in ~200g tubs (like a takeaway food container) for a couple of bucks. One of those blocks with about 1/3 bottle of Nulon engine treatment (~$15) does me fine.

tim

Tim,
Does adding the Nulon impact on the cleanness of the drive train?

I have been waxing the chains for over a year or so and it would be neat to get a longer life out of the waxing - in dry conditions it lasts me about 300 - 400 clicks, but, when it is wet it pretty much gets trashed in one shortish ride.

On a recent ride down Wye River way we had a bit of rain and had to use some RnR Gold as a stop gap. Dirt black chain within a day!!! I would prefer to have a clean drive train rather than an extra week or two between waxing.

Is it clean, or at least cleanish with the Nulon?

Cheers,

Ian