Nice Frames - Said History - Help Identifying Appreciated

GTR089

Nice Frames - Said History - Help Identifying Appreciated

Postby GTR089 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi there, have two lightweight frames, Candy Red is Tange 1 and Candy Blue Reynolds 531, the Tange is a total mystery though I am told the Candy Blue - once burnt orange was Kevin Nichols Road Frame, but I am not so sure - had Shimano 600 gear all over, any help would be much appreciated, I have shared my google with you Image right click and open image in new tab

munga

Re: Nice Frames - Said History - Help Identifying Appreciate

Postby munga » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks for your contribution. Will we see these on eBay in the near future?

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 am

Thank you, not sure if you are serious, no these frames are my size, sold a candy red on ebay which was too large, I have a soft spot bicycle frames and old bikes and restore them. If you could elaborate or assist at all with identifying a maker / builder of these it would be much appreciated, seems my post has drawn no interest at all

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am

GTR089 wrote:... seems my post has drawn no interest at all
Your post count is very low. That coupled with the scant detail of the frames and their history, and what you want to do with them sets off these two likely reactions
Image Image
as from many, many, past experiences, the generous time and thought from the experienced forum members has led to quick profiteering on ebay using the information given here.

so give us some backstory, and some photos and your intentions and it might elicit some response.

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am

Thankyou.....I have shared a link for photos but seems yet again does not work, with relation to scant detail I was happy to elaborate on opening up a chat with many, I am not seeking profit and want that to be clear, just a bike restorer that some might know here in Adelaide that popped my head up....finally........ but seriously communication is wofull.....too hard here so back to real life meetings.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 am

it is nice to see the members location in their profile.
Bike restorer = what the Americans call a 'flipper' = ebay seller
Bike Collector is better.
Do you have photos of how the bikes appeared before they were refinished?
in the other thread you posted about these bikes, you were given the link as to how photos are able to be displayed. If the link is awkward it, we lose interest.
Mario helped you out last time.
my turn. single image first

then for a link to the album: album link

morini

Postby morini » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 am

G'day GTR089,

There seems to have been a conga line of bike I.D. threads on here in the last few weeks. All of them are very similar so there's not a lot of enthusiasm for new ones at the moment. As well, semi quality frames with little or no markings to help identify them are not very inspiring to the average collector who frequents this place. This is because one of the problems with identifying frames is that if they don't literally have a brand name engraved on them, pantographing if you weren't aware, it's very hard for anyone to tell what it is. Throw in the fact that there's hundreds if not thousands of frame makers and brands and it gets harder and harder. If you were hoping for someone on here to identify a blank frame then you're hoping for too much in the end. Generally most of us trawl through here and Google first before we give in to asking. The more you search the more you learn yourself.

If you were asking for advice on where to look for info we'd probably be on page 2 by now. As for seeking profit I wouldn't take any notice of that because I think you'll find everyone on here wheels and deals a little bit. It's normal and goes with bike collecting. Face it, all of us acquire stuff we don't want on the way to getting what we want so we sell it.

As Scot suggested, give us a bit of background and lets see what you've got. Great to hear you're a collector as well but be careful with comments like this one:-

"but seriously communication is wofull"

Give us a break, this place isn't Central Station. Remember these things; somethings take days to happen not minutes or hours, there's no such thing as a "bicycle expert", we're just enthusiasts like yourself, there aren't hundreds of us and we all have lives to live as well.

Cheers
Chris

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello Chris, thankyou for your comments and putting the pic up, will provide some more info later and try to sort this pic posting

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 pm

It's 'woeful'. If you don't like the pace around here, maybe get a library card.. As Chris just said, we're not here to research your frames. Do what everyone else does and read, read, read.
I like that tange frame more than the Reynolds frame. Research the apparent builder and let us know what you come up with.
The real world is great, but you'll probably find a lot more 'virtual' people with the knowledge you seek.
You just need to give it a bit more time, and not get all antsy when you don't get the answers you want in two days.
Welcome to the Internet. Enjoy your stay.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:03 pm

As morini said, it's all but impossible to determine what those frames might be, while they are decent quality there have been so many brands/builders over the years making very similar bikes that it could be anything. All I can say with any certainty is that I LOVE the colour on the blue one, do you happen to know the name or code for that colour?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:16 pm

I stand corrected and should not have said woeful............sorry everyone.........idcycles the blue frame is a true candy blue, I bought the white Wayne Roberts Renolds 531 seen here recently which I am doing in Candy Blue, I can get the paint code for you if you can please give me a week, I appreciate your comments, thank you.

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

The blue 531 frame has a ID number under the BB. If you can read it still, that might help to identify.
Tony

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi there Tony, the serial number is M7H 11912, I have tried researching it however no luck to date, thank you for your reply

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi all Peter Bundy has confirmed the Candy Red as a Jim Bundy...nice....the Candy Blue has been also confirmed Frank Paino, knew they were nicely made

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:49 pm

link to photos has been changed!

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 pm

A Paino? Doubt it. Looks like a mid range Japanese factory frame with an awful paint job to me

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:55 pm

grantw wrote:A Paino? Doubt it. Looks like a mid range Japanese factory frame with an awful paint job to me
Yes. got to agree, not a Paino I think. Just given the 'flattening' treatment at the rear dropout junction and the huge breather holes in stay tubes and brake bridge it says production line.
Not something Frank would have let out of the shop I feel.
Paint looks OK to me if you like that sort of thing.
Cheers
Richard

GTR089

Postby GTR089 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Thankyou for your wisdom, it is much appreciated, zai jian

munga

Postby munga » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:30 pm

uhh.. seeya? glad we could help, i guess. will keep an eye on ebay for the red one, i kinda like it.