2013 Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge

shpkiwi

2013 Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge

Postby shpkiwi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 am

Entries are now open for the 2013 Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge. To register and take advantage of the "Early Bird" entry fee go to the entry page at http://coffscoastcyclechallenge.com/enter-event/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At this time there are no major changes in the categories of ride and routes for 2013. This is in response to the huge, frank, comprehensive and supporting feedback received from riders in last years Event. We are however considering some additional events and activities on the day and will keep you informed

Our main aims is to meet the desires of you the riders for changes which will make the Event more satisfying for you from year to year.

Fe

Re: Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge Entries now open

Postby Fe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Nice one. Be nice to have a hill climb up to Dorrigo.

shpkiwi

Only 45 days to the NAB Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge.

Postby shpkiwi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 am

If you have not entered the event please be advised that the Early Bird entry form discount ends on the 30th June. Go to http://coffscoastcyclechallenge.com/enter-event/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to complete the entry form.

At present there are riders throughout New South Wales plus riders from Queensland, Victoria and the ACT participating in the event. Details of the event can be found at http://www.coffscoastcyclechallenge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lucky rider in this years event will win a rek Madone 5.2 Cycle. Recommended Retail Price over $3,500.

shpkiwi

VIDEO COMPETITION; GREAT PRIZE!

Postby shpkiwi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 am

This year riders have the opportunity for the first time to enter the NAB Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge Video Competition.

Create a video of your ride on the day of the Event.

The judges will be looking for action, scenery, colour and excitement but most of all lots of fun and smiles; perhaps a few grimaces.

The winner will receive an open order to the value of $400 on a store of the winner’s choice.

How special is that?

You can also view the other great attractions on the day at: http://coffscoastcyclechallenge.com/attractions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shpkiwi

Postby shpkiwi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:47 pm

The NAB Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge held on the 4th August is only 7 days away

Riders throughout New South Wales plus riders from Queensland, Victoria and the ACT are participating in the event. Details of the event can be found at http://www.coffscoastcyclechallenge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lucky rider in this years event will win a Trek Madone 5.2 Cycle. Recommended Retail Price over $3,500. At registration you will also go into the draw for a voucher worth $500 for Ventoux Cycles. Plus there are other many spot prizes on the day.

This year riders have the opportunity for the first time to enter the NAB Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge Video Competition. Create a video of your ride on the day of the Event. The judges will be looking for action, scenery, colour and excitement but most of all lots of fun and smiles; perhaps a few grimaces.

Plus there are several attractions to entertain participants and their families during the day up to the presentation at the end of the event.

In addition there is the Sunday Market with a wide range of merchandise on sale and live entertainers and music and within walking distance of the event area there is the fish market and a wide selection of restaurants and the Yacht Club

newie

Postby newie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Back in Newcastle tonight after my day up at Coffs. It was a great ride blessed by superb weather on the day. Congratulations to the organisers. I thought it was very well run, with plenty of signposting and excellent marshalls. Some of the roads are a bit rough, but amply compensated for by the lovely views and absence of traffic. I enjoyed the day a lot. I found the 100km a bit more challenging than I was expecting, but quite manageable. Well worth the trip up and I would recommend it to anyone for 2014 (except those with an aversion to bumpy roads).

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for the report newie - good to hear.
Last year there were also fantastic reports about the marshalls and volunteers that really made for a good event.
Cycling is in my BNA

greatapoc

Re: 2013 Coffs Coast Cycle Challenge

Postby greatapoc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:58 am

What a fantastic day for cycling. I too came up from Newcastle for this ride and completed the 100km. Weather could not have been better, absolutely perfect temperature and no wind. Major props to the marshals and volunteers and it was great to see residents out cheering on the side of the road too. This ride was incredibly challenging and a major accomplishment.

On the not so good side were things that were kind of out of control of the organisers. First, who's idea was it to put Sunday markets on at the same location? It was an absolute nightmare getting in and around the starting area and I'm surprised I didn't hear of any accidents. As mentioned above, the roads were absolutely atrocious for about 50km. Some of them were one cobble short of the Forest d'Arenberg which made some of the descents pretty sketchy. Pretty sure I did permanent damage to my spine and bike riding on some of these sections. Having said that though, the descent into Bellingen and the descent just after Bellingen were superb. Never had a chance to bomb down a hill like that before with the winding turns. There were a fair few cars about that made it a bit hairy. I'm not sure if they just weren't aware that the event was on or just didn't give a hoot because coming down one of the descents there were 4 cars coming up the other way that were all over the road, pretty terrifying stuff. There were a lot of other MGIF's too. I saw a photographer sitting on a bend nearly get taken out when one idiot had to fang past us on an uphill section. He was driving in the gravel on the shoulder of the wrong side of the road to tear past us and nearly cleaned up this poor lady.

Completely out of the hands of the organisers were some of the pathetic displays of riding that I saw. Some people just don't know how to ride a bike. If you're in the middle of the pack and you can't retrieve your water bottle without swerving all over the road, move out. If you can't keep your line while riding straight, move out.

It sounds like I'm being overly critical of what was really a fantastic event, these are just a few things that really stuck in my mind and what prevented it from being a really awesome day. Any word on when the results are published?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Coffs Cycle Challenge results

http://www.durt.com.au/events/CCC13/

I agree, it was a most glorious day for the event.

Being a local we are used to and prepared for the rough roads. I did suggest to one of the organisers that we name the event 'The Hell of the mid North (coast)' :wink:

Have participated in all 4 of these rides.
3h:32m for me this year (9th in the women's 100km), and so nice of them to hold the event on my 60th too.

Emma

shpkiwi

Postby shpkiwi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks for the comments. If you would like to see a short video of the event go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVSIn73XDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;