The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

jules21

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:51 pm

you'd surely be at the pointy end pushing out 1400 VAM?

i would be thrilled with that. back on bike after long lay off, so will see where i can get this year.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:14 pm

jules21 wrote:you'd surely be at the pointy end pushing out 1400 VAM?

i would be thrilled with that. back on bike after long lay off, so will see where i can get this year.
If I could get to 1400 on this climb http://app.strava.com/activities/70640970#1377777945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which means dropping another 20 seconds from my best I think I could survive on climbs at my level of racing, but only in the peloton, there would still be a smallish group who would be off up the road on Cat 2 and 3 climbs ... luckily I have never had to race a Cat1 climb :lol: .
The beauty is that it doesn't come down to training for me... even when I did that 1300 I was 92-94 kgs, if I can drop down to 85 I might have a chance :lol: .
Sam... the guy with the best time is a young kiwi who can hold it pretty well on the climbs in UCI races, my mate Jullien in 2nd is a beautiful sprinter :oops: , but at UCI Conti level. I am happy being a mamil :| .

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Another three laps of Mt Donna Buang all z4 - Cold and a little windy till the last lap when it also rained from about half way up!

Top of the second lap.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 am

toolonglegs wrote:If I could get to 1400 on this climb http://app.strava.com/activities/70640970#1377777945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which means dropping another 20 seconds from my best I think I could survive on climbs at my level of racing, but only in the peloton, there would still be a smallish group who would be off up the road on Cat 2 and 3 climbs ... luckily I have never had to race a Cat1 climb :lol: .
The beauty is that it doesn't come down to training for me... even when I did that 1300 I was 92-94 kgs, if I can drop down to 85 I might have a chance :lol: .
Sam... the guy with the best time is a young kiwi who can hold it pretty well on the climbs in UCI races, my mate Jullien in 2nd is a beautiful sprinter :oops: , but at UCI Conti level. I am happy being a mamil :| .
you are a machine climbing that fast at 90+ kg - i'm whinging about being 85kg :shock:
dalai47 wrote:Another three laps of Mt Donna Buang all z4 - Cold and a little windy till the last lap when it also rained from about half way up!
that is awesome stuff your holiness.. where do you get the motivation?!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 am

All training for my West coast USA climbing extravaganza (3 weeks riding in CA, CO and AZ - 18 days riding in 22)! Suffering now means I'll hopefully suffer less in just over 3 weeks time... :wink:

Schedule.

Flying into San Francisco. Old La Honda, Tunitas creek, Mt Hamilton, Sierra rd, South Gate Mt Diablo, Alpine Dam loop.

Drive to the Eastern Sierra CA. Death Ride, Sherwin Grade-Rock Creek-Mosquito Flat, Bristlecone, Horseshoe meadow + Whitney Portal, and Onion Valley Rd.

Drive to CO. Grand Mesa both sides, Independence pass both sides, Copper Triangle,Trail Ridge rd Grand Lake Estes Park return, Mt Evans, Pikes Peak.

Drive to Tuscon AZ. Mt Graham, Mt Lemmon.

Drive to San Diego. Palomar Mountain

Drive to LA. Mt Baldy GRR, GMR.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Sounds pretty cool. Who are you doing this with?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Traveling solo as with my previous OS trips...

Will be especially interesting how I handle the altitude. Highest road in France I took was 2802m, highest this trip will be over 4,300m on both Mt Evans and Pikes Peak! For acclimatization, the rides I do will be getting progressively higher. Just over 3,000m in CA, then working my way through to the higher climbs end of the second week in CO...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Great sounding trip!.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:21 pm

dalai47 wrote:Traveling solo as with my previous OS trips...

Will be especially interesting how I handle the altitude. Highest road in France I took was 2802m, highest this trip will be over 4,300m on both Mt Evans and Pikes Peak! For acclimatization, the rides I do will be getting progressively higher. Just over 3,000m in CA, then working my way through to the higher climbs end of the second week in CO...
Awesome!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks. Started planning this trip shortly after returning from Europe last year and have been counting down the months till now... Cheaper flights and at the time above parity AU$ made the USA a good option. The climbs may not have the history of the European Cols, but many are longer and are definitely higher!

And in a way answers jules21 question on motivation. I always have trips planned or important competitions to train for. On my return, training will focus on peaking for the National Masters Track Championships being held in Melbourne this Summer.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Trainings going ok... setting a few pbs on local cat4 climbs which is really good. School hols makes finding the time hard though.
Big problem is no goals.
Last year I was pumped for TT's... this year is not the same. Will probably do Dept Champs on the 25th August even though I haven't done a TT interval in 2 months :lol:
Might do a bit of road racing, season is nearly over, only 3 or 4 races left.
Weather is crap ... 18° max in August :shock: .
Maybe I just forget it all and look forward / work towards CX season starting in 2 month.
Slap slap slap ... find some motivation!.

Crunchy_NuT

Postby Crunchy_NuT » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Went for a ride with a bloke who is twice my age but half my weight tonight, 1hr of tough hills and speedy flats to put pressure on each other, I am feeling it at the moment that is for sure

Easy rides only mean stagnant progress

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:55 pm

PR up a local CAT1 climb today ... was pouring rain, thick fog / cloud at the top, not a great wind and cold!. I know when I set my best time up there in June last year I was in really good form. So to beat it today when I am not really in good form is a good sign!. About the same weight as that time last year as well.
Only beat it by 5 secs though at nearly 52 minutes!... be very happy when I get that time under 50 minutes!!!.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:35 am

Nice toolonglegs.

Had to rain check my regular Wednesday night 3 laps of the 1 in 20 for the first time in close to three months! Luckily last night was perfect! So rode the three laps - all Z4 negative splitting each lap.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

you guys continue to make me feel inferior. are you on strava dalai? that sounds impressive to me.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 am

I have an account, but have only posted a few rides. I rarely ride with the Garmin (310XT) unless I am specifically after elevation gain for a ride. Otherwise I'll just ride with the SRM PCV for data.

Last time I went for a ride with the Garmin, I went out far harder on the climbs than I should have foregoing the days training plan (specific power zones), so I rather ride without it...

I'll be wearing my Garmin on the rides in the States coming up at the end of the month, once again only for tracking my totals for the trip. I probably wont post these on Strava as I'll be riding mountains all 18 days from 22, so don't expect to be fast with the accumulated fatigue or due to the altitude.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 am

dalai47 wrote:I have an account, but have only posted a few rides. I rarely ride with the Garmin (310XT) unless I am specifically after elevation gain for a ride. Otherwise I'll just ride with the SRM PCV for data.

Last time I went for a ride with the Garmin, I went out far harder on the climbs than I should have foregoing the days training plan (specific power zones), so I rather ride without it...

I'll be wearing my Garmin on the rides in the States coming up at the end of the month, once again only for tracking my totals for the trip. I probably wont post these on Strava as I'll be riding mountains all 18 days from 22, so don't expect to be fast with the accumulated fatigue or due to the altitude.
Its not about how fast you are. Its about showing the rest of us the awesome places your riding.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:55 am

All will be blogged with lots of photos... 8)

vander

Postby vander » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Almost my 2years from getting on the bike (less than a week away) and about the same to my anniversary for my crash. Today I went out to do what I was planning to be a pretty easy ride but ended up being a far bit harder than that. Did 9min 14 up bobbin head (a climb which I have tested myself on in the past) at the end of the ride beating my best time by more than 30sec. When I first rode it 28/8/11 I managed 15:16 in what was a flat out effort at the time. This was despite the fact I have been feeling crap on the bike for the last week. Happy with the progress.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 pm

vander wrote:Almost my 2years from getting on the bike (less than a week away) and about the same to my anniversary for my crash. Today I went out to do what I was planning to be a pretty easy ride but ended up being a far bit harder than that. Did 9min 14 up bobbin head (a climb which I have tested myself on in the past) at the end of the ride beating my best time by more than 30sec. When I first rode it 28/8/11 I managed 15:16 in what was a flat out effort at the time. This was despite the fact I have been feeling crap on the bike for the last week. Happy with the progress.
Somethings never change :P

vander

Postby vander » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote: Somethings never change :P
Hurt me for RAW tonight.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

After two months of not-much-riding... my first ever Imperial Century. I'll download the stats later.

I still can't believe I got home, my CTL is in the low 40's, I'm soooo unfit!

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

philip

Postby philip » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 pm

vander wrote:Did 9min 14 up bobbin head (a climb which I have tested myself on in the past) at the end of the ride beating my best time by more than 30sec.
Nice one, 30 sec is a big improvement. I also use bobbo as a bit of a form tester. I went on holidays earlier this year and had a few weeks off the bike (first time I've done that in a couple of years!), then it rained heaps, then I got a nasty cold so have taken a while to get back into things, but the past couple of weeks have been good. Last week I got 4 secs off my PB. Aiming for an 8:30 which I think is doable if all the stars align...

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 pm

More hills today.

Marysville via Reefton Spur to Reefton return * 2 160km (vert 4144m Garmin 5624m Strava???)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 am

Nice.