Albany Creek Rd - Cyclist down :(

ray

Albany Creek Rd - Cyclist down :(

Postby ray » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:08 pm

On my way to Bums on Bikes around lunch time and saw a cyclist down near the Eaton Hills Function Centre/Pub. Any one know if the cyslist is ok? I saw the cyclist lying on the footpath with people around him but I couldn't see if he was conscious :( It looks like it was near where the bike lane filters into nothing. When I went by there was a fire engine (firestation is near by) and a plain clothed policeman directing traffic to the inside lane.

grpaxto

Re: Albany Creek Rd - Cyclist down :(

Postby grpaxto » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Not sure, hope all is well. I went past on my way home for the second time just as an ambulance was arriving and the guy was laying on the ground on oxygen. Lane was blocked off by witches hats and off duty cop directing traffic. Must have just missed it happening on my way to nth avanti, 4wd involved and a lot of people rushing to his aid which was good but never good to see someone in distress.

newbris

Postby newbris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Makes you sick in the stomach....hope he is ok.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:29 am

Sounds like a victim of the absolutely pathetic bicycle infrastructure provided by Moreton Bay Council.
They will likely argue it is Mains Road who is to blame but I dont vote for Main Roads, I vote for council.
It is their job to act on these sorts of things.
That bike lane is truly ridiculous the way it just stops like it does leaving you nowhere to go with cars in a hurry to go both straight ahead and to turn left onto Eatons Crossing Road.

Hope the rider was OK.
I know from recent experience that being hit by a heavy vehicle is no fun.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I think the area is pretty good from the times I've used it (eastbound to North or Southbound - only used it heading north/westbound in the early morning on weekends). Eatons Crossing merging onto South Pine Road is a bitch via the bike lane as you have to deal with traffic going straight ahead. Personally I think that's a design flaw. In situations like that that's where a extra light cycle just for cyclists would be helpful (trigged by pressing the button - Think Kittyhawke Drive at Chermside or Sandgate Road at Toombul or even those bus jump signals along Gympie Road and in the valley) but even then I'd say that claiming the lane would be the safest option. I can see how something similar could happen before the bridge over South Pine River heading towards the city where there's a sign that says "cyclists must exit" or "all bicycles" with a ramp up on to the footpath. That being said I always ignore that sign :P

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Don't know who that was but one of my mates young bloke got nailed on Wednesday over there. :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km