What were they thinking? - the get it right next time thread

RonK

Re: What were they thinking? - the get it right next time th

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 pm

marinmomma wrote:Sure, it would be great to have more, I guess it has become a connector between north and south although it's just as easy to use the forecourt of the new law court building although it does nothing to give cyclists a traffic free access to the BIcentenial apart from going via Southbank.

Although care needs to be taken on Tank Street as there is vehicle access crossing over the lanes from a court building right at the end of the street by the bridge.
Tanks Street is good George St less so...

If they were to do more where would cyclists want them??
Perhaps there should be a two-way Copenhagen lane the full length of Adelaide Street/Ivory Street to connect Southbank with the Valley and continue on down McLachlan Street.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 pm

The Sunny Coast has some ripper bike lanes.

How about a bike lane in an area where bikes can easily go faster than the 60kph speed limit? Yeah. That'll be fun removing a car door from its hinges.

Or my personal favourite. Pretty sure my wheel is wider than that small bit of bike lane. Also gotta love it when people then walk towards that space of road without even a look to see if anything is coming.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now this is a bike lane! Look at that space! So much room for activities.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 pm

RonK wrote: It would always be good to have more. I was grateful to get a new bridge, and as far as I know, the first ever Copenhagen lanes in Brisbane to access it.
Not sure we really needed that additional bridge over the existing Goodwill, Victoria and Go Between Bridges versus some proper access to the Northside.

newbris

Postby newbris » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 pm

sumgy wrote:Where do you think they should put it?
Sorry but as much as I complain about any lack of infrastructure in Brisbane, at least that is something to indicate that cyclists use that area.
Short of removing the parking all together, I dont see that there is much else they could do there.
I would have thought losing parking on one side of the street on those sections where they can't install lanes that aren't an outright danger to novice cyclists would have been the acceptable solution. It also would be far better to put the lanes in the gutter with the parked cars between the bike lanes and the road.

Having one bi-directional lane would also reduce the need for two buffer zones down to one making the sections that need to lose parking on one side of the road even shorter.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:22 am

newbris wrote:
sumgy wrote:Where do you think they should put it?
Sorry but as much as I complain about any lack of infrastructure in Brisbane, at least that is something to indicate that cyclists use that area.
Short of removing the parking all together, I dont see that there is much else they could do there.
I would have thought losing parking on one side of the street on those sections where they can't install lanes that aren't an outright danger to novice cyclists would have been the acceptable solution. It also would be far better to put the lanes in the gutter with the parked cars between the bike lanes and the road.

Having one bi-directional lane would also reduce the need for two buffer zones down to one making the sections that need to lose parking on one side of the road even shorter.
Well I would suggest that the council should be looking at closing down MV lanes completely to cater for additional bus and bike lanes along with a congestion tax is a definite solution going forward. But it aint going to happen any time soon.
In reality Quirk is clueless as to the problems Brisbane faces and continues to believe that wider lanes and more MV infrastructure is actually a solution.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now this is a bike lane! Look at that space! So much room for activities.
I died and went to heaven seeing that photo. Although my initial thought about that lane was that cars would surely use it as a parking lane, thereby negating its awesomeness.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 pm

sumgy wrote:
RonK wrote: It would always be good to have more. I was grateful to get a new bridge, and as far as I know, the first ever Copenhagen lanes in Brisbane to access it.
Not sure we really needed that additional bridge over the existing Goodwill, Victoria and Go Between Bridges versus some proper access to the Northside.
Yep +1

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm

elantra wrote:
sumgy wrote:
Yep +1
The hundreds of peds and cyclists who use it day probably wouldn't agree.

But I guess most are probably not northsiders.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 pm

elantra wrote:We have a lot of things to be thankful for living in South East Qld but well-designed transport systems is not one of them.

Of course, As this is a bicycle thread we will restrict our attention to problems and deficiencies, stuff-ups, etc. in this regard.

The following new road graffiti is, in my opinion, a dangerous example of poor design and outcome.
It is located in Barry Parade, (between the City and Valley) and it looks like very recent work.

The most obvious problem is that the "bikepath" is so damn close to the car parks that to ride in this lane is really asking for disaster.

The painted "bikepath" extends for all of the short length of Barry Parade, which has always been a reasonably "bike-friendly" "avenue", and debatably a lot less hairy than Wickham St.
In case you are wondering, it unfortunately does not link up with any really useful bicycle-friendly thoroughfare.

*Time now (below) for some examples of "best practice"* - (well at least in this part of the globe)
This is how it should have been done - eg. Hawken Drive St Lucia.
There are similar examples of this in other diverse Brisbane locations.
It delivers a message - that this is a road for multiple types of vehicle to share.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 pm

elantra wrote: In case you are wondering, it unfortunately does not link up with any really useful bicycle-friendly thoroughfare
This is an interesting fact and as some others have said they dump you out in the middle of a busy intersection or main road.
How hard would it be to make some of these bike ways join up really!. For those of you that don't know they actually made some great million dollar blunders on the gateway and the Clem 7 construction to spare some money for bikeways is nothing to them. I feel that it is so hard to plan a ride across Brisbane without putting my life at risk. :(

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am

elantra wrote: *Time now (below) for some examples of "best practice"* - (well at least in this part of the globe)
It delivers a message - that this is a road for multiple types of vehicle to share.

Interesting how different people have different perceptions of safe.
I would feel the Fortitude Valley ones give a better feeling of safety.
After a while drivers become oblivious to painted signs on the road and pay them no attention IMO.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 am

sumgy wrote:
elantra wrote: *Time now (below) for some examples of "best practice"* - (well at least in this part of the globe)

Interesting how different people have different perceptions of safe.
I would feel the Fortitude Valley ones give a better feeling of safety.
After a while drivers become oblivious to painted signs on the road and pay them no attention IMO.

During peak hour traffic I would dare say hardly anyone would notice the markings in the middle of the road like that. They are easy to notice when there isn't much traffic on the road, agree with that.