Sanderson Breath Build

mr626

Sanderson Breath Build

Postby mr626 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

Hello all,

Thought I'd post this here in case there is any interest.

You'll notice that this isn't exactly a big dollar build, but it was a fun way to learn about bikes and how all the various parts come together. Being a single speed build means that I don't have to worry about pesky shifters either which is handy for a beginner like myself :lol:

Here's the original specs when I completed the build:

Frame - Sanderson Breath, medium size, British Racing Green
Front shock/fork - Gusset Jury SL Trials rigid
Handlebars - FSA XC 270
Stem - Raceface 60mm RACE
Headset - Pro MT-11
Grips - WTB Original Trail
Saddle - WTB Freedom
Seatpost - Richley WCS
Front brake - Clarks CMD11 w/ Avid lever
Rear brake - Clarks CMD11 w/ Avid lever
Crankset - Shimano MTB M442
Bottom bracket: Shimano UN26
Chain - KMC Z82
Pedals - Wellgo single cage
Front derailleur - pfft
Rear derailleur - meh
Drivetrain - 32T Shimano w/ bashguard, Gusset double six 19T with Fire eye spacer kit.
Wheelset - OEM Giant (from a Boulder or Talon I think?)
Tyres - Schwalbe rapid rob 2.25

After a few rides I realised there was a few things I wanted to address: More aggressive tyres, wider bars, 'proper' non-ramped front ring, better bottom bracket, better pedals. As a result, the current specs are now:

Frame - Sanderson Breath, medium size, British Racing Green
Front shock/fork - Gusset Jury SL Trials rigid
Handlebars - Answer Pro Taper 685 XC Trail Flat Bar, 3 deg sweep
Stem - Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 60mm 0 deg
Headset - Pro MT-11
Grips - Ritchey Truegrip
Saddle - WTB Freedom
Seatpost - Crank Brothers Cobalt 2
Front brake - Clarks CMD11 w/ Avid lever
Rear brake - Clarks CMD11 w/ Avid lever
Crankset - Shimano MTB M442
Bottom bracket- Shimano UN55
Chain - KMC Z610 HX
Pedals - DMR V8 flats
Front derailleur - pfft
Rear derailleur - meh
Drivetrain - 32T Blackspire Mono Veloce, Gusset double six 19T with Fire eye spacer kit.
Wheelset - OEM Giant (from a Boulder or Talon I think?)
Tyres - Michelin Hot s 2.2
Tubes - Continental
Total weight - 11.6kg (with pedals)

And some pics:

Overall I'm very happy with how it has all come together. 32-19 is a very manageable ratio and suits the hilly area where I live. Probably the only thing I'd do differently next time (assuming it was another single speed build) is use a frame with horizontal dropouts. At present I don't need to use a tensioner but they may change with chain stretch.

Questions / comments welcome, hope you like my build :)

silentbutdeadly

Re: Sanderson Breath Build

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:39 am

Nice. Though I'd bin the downhill stem for an XC style unit, shorten the steerer, move the seat back slightly, remove the canti studs and save up for a better set of wheels.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mr626

Postby mr626 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:Nice. Though I'd bin the downhill stem for an XC style unit, shorten the steerer, move the seat back slightly, remove the canti studs and save up for a better set of wheels.
Thanks for the reply.

The stem choice was deliberate- I wanted something beefy that would handle the bumps and jarring of a rigid fork (plus I don't mind the look of it). It is more of a downhill stem though.
Steerer height I'm pretty happy with as is, but shortening is always and option if I need to.

Agreed about the saddle. I'm not that impressed with the Cobalt 2 design- seems to be tricky to get the saddle mounted in the correct position / angle. Yeah, the canti studs look a bit silly- will probably attack them with the angle grinder at some point.

Wouldn't mind a better wheelset, but at the moment these ones are just fine for the riding I'm doing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Yummy, beautiful frames those Sandersons and a very nice SS build up.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 am

The canti studs should just unscrew from their mount - no need to resort to angle grinders!!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mr626

Postby mr626 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Yummy, beautiful frames those Sandersons and a very nice SS build up.
Thanks. I hadn't even heard of Sanderson until my LBS offered me this frame for cheap (ex-display I think). It wasn't a hard choice though- of the two colours the Breath comes in this frame was the colour I preferred, and it was my size.
silentbutdeadly wrote:The canti studs should just unscrew from their mount - no need to resort to angle grinders!!!
I was under this impression too, but when I tried to remove them they didn't want to move. Might have to try again this weekend.

Actually took the bike for a ride yesterday :shock: (sometimes I feel like I spend more time swapping parts / building than actually riding!). Very happy with everything. The drive train feels smooth and strong and is really quiet. The cockpit inspires confidence too- the wider bars in particular really give good control. I found myself taking most sections of my local track a lot faster than previously (to the point where I almost crashed).

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Any comment on the Gusset Jury forks? Thinking of replacing the busted old Rock Shox Mag21's on my GT Pantera with a pair of these.

Would love some of these carbon jobbies: http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=198&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Reviee here: http://gearinches.com/blog/reviews/exot ... ork-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But twice the price, not sure that the Pantera deserves them. My "cheap" gumtree rebuild is turning out to be not as cheap as I'd hoped.

mr626

Postby mr626 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 am

Hi mate,

I've very happy with the forks. They seem very solid and I've got no complaints with the handling of the bike. Plenty of clearance for big tyres too.

A few points about them that may be of interested:

-The A-C measurement of 405mm is less than a lot of forks. Just something to be aware of in terms of what geometry you'll end up with overall. For me (5"8) on the medium-sized Sanderson frame it seems to work well.
-I haven't yet been able to remove the canti studs. More of a cosmetic thing I suppose but some people care about it
-I'm not sure these forks are actually being made any more. I got mine from c r c but they don't seem to stock them now.

I know exactly what you mean by a 'cheap' build too :wink: Might start out that way, but that's not how it ends!

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Sounds good, the old RockShox Mag21's I'm replacing are only 48mm travel so the A-C isn't big by today's standards, I think I measured around 420mm. The bike also came as a rigid version which probably had an even smaller A-C.

I actually need canti studs which is why these forks are on my shopping list, so all good there.

There is a seller on eBay with 9 pairs for sale, $130 delivered ex. Sydney. OOOooo just double checked, they're on sale for the next 10 hours (11PM EST 5/9). An extra 10% off, brings it down to $118.50 delivered....BUY BUY BUY!

Cheers for your help.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Nice build. The frame looks awesome.

Emabrking on a similar mtb build myself - albeit a much cheaper and nastier version. I have also considered going no tensioner. Are you running magic gears or just letting the chain slack a bit?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Turns out the seller mtbplus on eBay is actually Velogear, noticed the transaction from them on my CC statement. I checked their website, forks are in stock for $115 and they have free shipping at the moment, could've saved another $3.50 hehehe... if anyone else wants a pair: http://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/b ... -fork.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for filling your thread with all this, all start my own build thread soon, promise. =D