Power Meter Deal Thread

J Quinton

Power Meter Deal Thread

Postby J Quinton » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi All,

We are entering the era of greater choice and affordability of power meters.

The recent pre-order announcement of the Vector pedals brings more competition.

Earlier this year we had the introduction of stages crank arm meters.

Both the Sram Quarq and Power2max meters have come of age.

Then you have the top of the shelf SRM sitting way up there like a fine whisky.

Powertap have just dropped some of their hubs by 40%. Some people siting the Vector arrival, some people saying par for financial year course.

Hopefully before the end of the year we will see the Brim Brothers meters.

Perhaps we can make this thread a place for posting power meter deals? An Australia specific thread?

You can also include second hand meters to get a sense of the shifting aftermarket.

We can start with powertap dropping their price http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/ ... 510_297666.

I also note many people struggling to sell their secondhand meters online. For example, I've been watching a few SRAM Red power meters on ebay and no one buying a slightly used one for 3/4 the price of a new one. Reticent to buy secondhand? Or people not willing to spend that much regardless?

I did see a S975 Quarq go for $750 on gumtree. About 3-4000km used seller claimed.

Anyway, please post your power meter deal sitings here. Also post what you're looking/waiting for if you feel inclined. If you have made a purchase recently, please chime in with your experience.
Last edited by J Quinton on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redbull

Re: Power Metre Deal Thread

Postby Redbull » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:17 pm

meter FGS
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

J Quinton

Re: Power Metre Deal Thread

Postby J Quinton » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Redbull wrote:meter FGS

Fixed for you.

J Quinton

Re: Power Meter Deal Thread

Postby J Quinton » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Wiggle with 10% off Sram Red Quarqs

http://www.this link is broken/sram-red-quarq-bb ... -chainset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 pm

G3 powertap for 625USD + shipping this is the person I got my G3 from last year
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2013-Cycleo ... 3cd45129c8

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:02 pm

nickobec wrote:G3 powertap for 625USD + shipping this is the person I got my G3 from last year

Cool. Did you get the hub laced up here? What were the additional costs? I assume those costs have remained the same?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:03 pm

nickobec wrote:G3 powertap for 625USD + shipping this is the person I got my G3 from last year
Same.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Brim Brothers I'm waiting to see pricing for one and would be so easy to use multiple bikes with it. But will it work with Boa straps...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

dale79

Postby dale79 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 pm

cant wait for my stages to get here! next week hopefully!!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:17 pm

J Quinton wrote:Cool. Did you get the hub laced up here? What were the additional costs? I assume those costs have remained the same?
DIY to a farsports 50mm rim and sapim xray spokes for farsports cost 250USD + 50USD shipping (but that was for rim & front wheel)

If I did it again, would get brass nipples and CX spoke key from http://www.bikehubstore.com/

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 pm

dale79 wrote:cant wait for my stages to get here! next week hopefully!!

Where did you buy it from?

What crank did you get?

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Brim Brothers I'm waiting to see pricing for one and would be so easy to use multiple bikes with it. But will it work with Boa straps...
Don't see why it will not work with the straps. As long as they do not rub.

In fact I suspect the pods we see in the prototypes are not the ones that will be released. They will definitely look more techno, they could even be wireless.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:28 pm

J Quinton wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Brim Brothers I'm waiting to see pricing for one and would be so easy to use multiple bikes with it. But will it work with Boa straps...
Don't see why it will not work with the straps. As long as they do not rub.

In fact I suspect the pods we see in the prototypes are not the ones that will be released. They will definitely look more techno, they could even be wireless.
If they slide as opposed to clip in they won't work with a boa type shoe. I'm getting custom Bont Vaypor + which is boa enclosures on the lower and upper parts. Might have to use something such as 3M dual lock if they are a slide in attachment to shoe upper. So then it becomes stick on.

Edit

No I wouldn't actually stick the 3M dual lock to the shoe. The boa wire will be the anchor with the 3M dual lock underneath and on top of it with the base of the powermeter stuck to the 3M dual lock. And a security connector thru the slide around the boa wire.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
J Quinton wrote:

Personally I'm waiting for the Brim Brothers as well. If they work well they seem like the best solution as they don't interfere with other components. Feels slightly silly buying another crankset when the one I have works fine.

The excellent power meter blogger DC Rainmaker is going to find out about the Brim B units at the end of the month at Interbike or whatever it's called. If they are not released then I will probably look at a ELsa or Sram Red unit. I'm hoping they will drop in price around the end of the month too.

I've heard good things about the stages and apparently using 'mongrel' crank arms doesn't seem to bother anyone.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 pm

J Quinton wrote:
dale79 wrote:cant wait for my stages to get here! next week hopefully!!

Where did you buy it from?

What crank did you get?
fit werx in the USA..

6700 ultegra as both my bikes have 6700 ultegra on them :)

mjd

Postby mjd » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

From DC Rainmaker
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/hand ... ector.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me, I'm waiting on my fine whiskey to arrive. Had 3 Quarqs over the years, sold one a while back, got one on TT rig & a Red Quarq on the current roadie which will be sold once my upgrade is complete.
Quarqs have been solid but moving from 10 speed Sram Red to 11 speed Dura Ace so moving to compatible SRM.

Evo6point5

Postby Evo6point5 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Interested why people prefer SRM etc? Is there really noticeable difference? From all the reviews, especially DC's data, they're all so close that I can't see why anyone would pay the price of a bike for a device to spit out consistent numbers.. even the prelim Vector tests show very similar results to the others including the $799 Stages.. yet at $1000US more money.. yes it has left and right, but still don't see how this would really be that useful. I use power for pacing and tracking progress over time, I'm not sold on the benefits (at that cost) of L/R outputs. I suppose the biggest seller for the vector will be the ease of changing between bikes, one of the biggest downsides to all bar the Powertap.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Personally I wouldn't get a vector because I trash pedals... I get a year max out of pedals, but I suppose buying a new body once a year is no different from replacing a powertap freewheel body every so often. But the price is pretty high for a fragile ( in my case ) product.
Be interesting to see where the prices of everything are sitting in 6 months or so... especially with powertaps huge price drop.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Evo6point5 wrote:Interested why people prefer SRM etc? Is there really noticeable difference?
Probably not a huge difference these days, but they are extremely reliable bit of kit... All mine are wired units bought second hand and have not skipped a beat!

I've always been keen on the idea of pedals being able to swap across different types of bikes (especially for on the track as till relatively recently the only option was SRM). But I use Exustar pedals on my bikes and have worn the pedals on my commuter bike alone within a year. Yes you can buy a new pedal body, but this could be an added yearly expense that needs to be factored in...

Not keen on the Stages as they only measure one leg (same as the Ergomo from many years ago) which relies on the assumption of even balance. From what I've seen discussed, L/R balance can vary depending on the effort. So means the wattage will vary from actual output depending if you are on the rivet or rolling on a recovery ride.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 am

toolonglegs wrote: Be interesting to see where the prices of everything are sitting in 6 months or so... especially with powertaps huge price drop.
Yes, me too, once the market has settled down. I think buying this time next year will be the best.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:16 am

dalai47 wrote:
Evo6point5 wrote:Interested why people prefer SRM etc? Is there really noticeable difference?
Probably not a huge difference these days, but they are extremely reliable bit of kit... All mine are wired units bought second hand and have not skipped a beat!
SRM and power2max are very similar. What do you think is the major difference?

Where do you buy your SRM in Australia?

Where will you send it to when the battery goes flat?

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 am

These look pretty good for secondhand:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cycleops-Pow ... 6ec&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dale79

Postby dale79 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:31 am

Got the tracking info for my stages so should have it in with in a week!!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 am

J Quinton wrote:SRM and power2max are very similar. What do you think is the major difference?

Where do you buy your SRM in Australia?

Where will you send it to when the battery goes flat?
My biggest concern with the power2max is you can't calculate the slope with a known weight like you can with the SRM. Every time my SRM's have come back from servicing the Slope has been a different value. It can change, Power2max says it won't...

To buy :

Second hand I have bought through one each - direct via a coach in the UK, ebay and local triathlon forum.

New in Australia. Kenetic http://shop.kinetic.com.au/srm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Canberra still sell SRMs (just now not servicing). Or contact Alex Simmons - http://www.rstsport.com/event-products-item-meters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately for batteries you now need to send the SRM to NZ (I did have someone who was still doing this locally till this year) or solder a new one in yourself. Quite a few quides online on how to do this...

For servicing the Power2max would need to go back to NZ like SRM as they are I believe distributed from there.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm

The distributors for Power2Max are in NZ and they are a delight to deal with.

I went with P2M over Quarq due to the problems with needing to factory recalibrate every time you Chang the rings.

I ever so glad I did as I have seen some real quality control issues from the friends that I ride with. Plus the external magnet need for cadence seems to be a derailleur killer.

P2M did have a temp problem with the earlier units (although mine never did) but the newer versions have locked this.

I think the main benefits when comparing to SRM is the usability by the average rider. Plus it's about half the cost.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home