Super-sized

bychosis

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Fit
And
Good
Sorts
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Forget
About
Getting
Stuck in traffic

Fools
Are
Getting
Shi(r)ty with me

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Fast
And
Gorgeous
Specimens
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:38 pm

BastardSheep wrote:
Ross wrote:Commodore would of been at least 1.5m away from you by the looks of it, which is the distance that many on here have been pushing to have introduced as a law. As Dragster1 noted both drivers actually passed illegally by crossing the double lines.
1.5m from the edge of the road maybe, but well within 0.5m of the rider.

Indeed. The road narrows very rapidly. I either rife it by bike or motorbike most days, plus it has a shocking cycle lane at the top.

Cam

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 am

Nearly got doored this morning; guy passed me and pulled across the bike lane and parked about 30m up from me (in a parking bay), so I took a bit wider route around him to get out of the door zone, but didn't realize that this thing had massive doors on it. I was probably doing somewhere between 30 - 35km/hr and he just opened the door, luckily it was too late to hit me and I whizzed on by. I looked back and he was making a huge attempt to try and apologise so I kept going. He caught up to me later in my commute and tried to trundle along behind me to go through the cycle lane about 50m up from a set of traffic lights into a petrol station. As soon as he started going slow near me I just stopped and got off, I don't trust someone after they just tried to door me. However, it was good to see that he was now paying more attention to cyclists. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I guess the point is; however wide you think a door is, take that and then some and that's your minimum safe distance. Still embarrassed about how I miscalculated the width of his door by so much. :oops:

One of the only times I didn't have my camera on either. Would have made a good video to show how easy it is to door cyclists.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:22 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote: Would have made a good video to show how easy it is to door cyclists.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 am

Stumbling off Ross' post...

IMO, these two vids should be permalinked for the benefit of all n00bs.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

Nice vid Ross, I usually ride well away from doors, as in where the guy ends up in the final part of the video because I don't want to take the risk of a dooring. I put today's incident down to myself not being careful enough. That's not an excuse for the driver to open his door, but I should've been more alert and proactive in protecting my position and I make no excuses for my actions leading up to it. It was simply a bad judgement call, especially considering that video that's just emerged of that lady who nearly got run over by the truck as a result of a dooring.

In Shaun's vid; how quickly did that driver react in the first real scene!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:16 am

Ross wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote: Would have made a good video to show how easy it is to door cyclists.
:shock:

Thanks for that video.

CRV

Postby CRV » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Had a young lady fling a door open on me this morning on the way to work, I was wide enough to miss her but still yelled out "DOOR!!!" on my way past, she got an obvious fright as she had not looked for traffic, hopefully she remembers to look next time.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Just scream. Works way better than yelling "door"

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Almost an uneventful ride to work in Red Hill this morning. Thank goodness someone made it a tad more ....ahem....interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks3ZiO51 ... hxdyNpNhaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 pm

I nearly got taken out by a Horse Float earlier today on Station Road, Burpengary. The idiots decided that it was perfectly OK for them to pass me on a pinch point without any regard to my safety. I was so shaken from the experience that I didn't get the rego but the idiots have their name plastered on the back of the horse float. I've managed to track them down on Facebook and they will be be getting a stern message about this.

I think in the future I will be claiming the lane more to prevent this from happening again. :roll:

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Huggies wrote:I nearly got taken out by a Horse Float earlier today on Station Road, Burpengary. The idiots decided that it was perfectly OK for them to pass me on a pinch point without any regard to my safety. I was so shaken from the experience that I didn't get the rego but the idiots have their name plastered on the back of the horse float. I've managed to track them down on Facebook and they will be be getting a stern message about this.

I think in the future I will be claiming the lane more to prevent this from happening again. :roll:
we're going to need a link to their fb, don't hog all the fun

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:30 am

Perth:

The woman who drove out onto Hay Street from the wide driveway at the Hydrant opposite the Perth Fire Station. Wide visibility but she was apparently looking up the road and any peds already in front or near here were just invisible. Inclidng a guy tall ona unicycle with very bright flashing headlamp. Fortunately I trust no one and stopped with a half metre to spare. She was shocked as her face went past my crutch a few inches from her window.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:21 am

Yesterday I had a Brisbane city council bus come within inches of me on Gladstone Road, Dutton Park, Queensland. He was going in the same direction and clearly seen me and I was in the bike lane.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:12 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Almost an uneventful ride to work in Red Hill this morning. Thank goodness someone made it a tad more ....ahem....interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks3ZiO51 ... hxdyNpNhaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The car was going 110? I didn't realise the Mornington Peninsula had single laned 110 kph roads. :wink:
That was a bit too close for comfort.
Huggies wrote:I nearly got taken out by a Horse Float earlier today on Station Road, Burpengary. The idiots decided that it was perfectly OK for them to pass me on a pinch point without any regard to my safety. I was so shaken from the experience that I didn't get the rego but the idiots have their name plastered on the back of the horse float. I've managed to track them down on Facebook and they will be be getting a stern message about this.

Ouch. Some people just don't realise how much larger their trailer is to their car. Very stupid of them and they should be politely informed of the correct passing procedure.

And yes, claiming the lane is very beneficial. I just saw this little article today:

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(It is from America so their left is our right etc. and they had a few different road rules like being able to overtake on double lines, which we can't)

I like the animation of road positioning.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Sorry Summernight. There isn't. That road is 'posted' 100kph. Just my sarcasm coming in. Even the guy coming head on had his brakes on for a bit.

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Summernight wrote:Ouch. Some people just don't realise how much larger their trailer is to their car. Very stupid of them and they should be politely informed of the correct passing procedure.

And yes, claiming the lane is very beneficial. I just saw this little article today:

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(It is from America so their left is our right etc. and they had a few different road rules like being able to overtake on double lines, which we can't)

I like the animation of road positioning.
I ended up sending a firm but polite email to her Brisbane City Council email address. I gave her the link to the Amy Gillett foundation. Who knows what she will think but I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon. :roll:

nescius

Postby nescius » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:44 pm

A couple of absolute beauties today, really some of the worst, most dangerous driving I have ever witnessed. I was racing Iron Mike today, rolling along in the C grade bunch on the second lap when we were passed ON THE LEFT by a P plater in a ute and a P plater on a motorcycle, both vehicles left the road and burned up the grass to the left of the bunch at what must have been 70+ kmh. Just after that craziness there is a nice safe straight section of road where they could have passed like normal people without incident. If either vehicle had hit a bump or lost traction in the grass the outcome could have been horrific. The second incident occurred on the climb from condor creek up to the dirt when a 4wd passed us on a blind right hander over double unbroken lines. He gave us tons of space (great for us) but that meant he was completely on the wrong side of the road... and he did it just as the B grade bunch was coming the other way (at probably 70kmh), if they had been 1 or 2 seconds earlier it would have been a head on and very likely a fatality. If I had taken note of the plates I would have reported all three to the police, but unfortunately I couldn't read them.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Nescius, hope something nice happens soon, so it can restore your faith in human kind once more. That's just terrible.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:28 pm

That'd be me today :oops: Close to knocking a Harley rider at a roundabout. No excuses, I stuffed up and I'll be kicking meself a lot harder and a lot longer than anyone else will. He took it a damn sight better than I have.

ABS braking FTW!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Riverside drive, firstly the taxi parking wherever he wants as they always do, gave me a little pause though because of the road works - thought there may have been a stop/go guy i didn't see.

Shortly after another car is double parked and I go around it, just as i pass it a ute pulls out forcing me to brake, he then slows down and apologises.

At the time i thought he may have been a bit careless, but seeing the video he pretty much starts to pull out as i pass the car, so i can see how it happened.
Only thing that worried me a little was he said "i didnt even look" but thinking about it, i can see how that would happen.. car double parked stopped behind you blocking the road and he thought it was clear.