Video Camera who uses one?

twizzle

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby twizzle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Has anyone looked at the cheap "bullet hd" cameras on eBay? A search hasn't shown anything in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Scratch that, I found some online reviews. Not so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm

New unit from the makers of the 808... Looks good. Maybe needs to be waterproof but that's it.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm

MattyK wrote:New unit from the makers of the 808... Looks good. Maybe needs to be waterproof but that's it.
Seems like a substantial improvement to the 808 #16.

The Mobius ActionCam: more info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st25170901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has a heat sink, so hopefully no more overtemperature shutdowns in full sun.

Importantly for us, this one comes with a base plate that accepts a snug snap-in plug that has a standard 1/4-20 tripod thread:

Cost is about $70, which is commensurate with the importance others give your videos.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 am

MattyK wrote:New unit from the makers of the 808... Looks good. Maybe needs to be waterproof but that's it.
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks very interesting for sure.

Andrew

Nate

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 pm

It'd be so easily rectified by a small clip on plastic cover over the top too :(
Looks the goods though

Manufacturers need to know that "water resistant" is enough for a bicycle & most outdoor activities (except surfing/swimming/diving etc).
If its heavy rain - then the lens will be getting wet & the pic will be crappy anyway!

The old Otek was "resistant" & ran 100% perfectly & still had the best microphone on anything i've seen today!

dentalfloss

Postby dentalfloss » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks very interesting for sure.

Andrew
My rides are 3 to 4 hours. This camera is in budget but the stock battery can last only 80 minutes. Could anyone suggested a battery pack available online for this camera?

This post says minimum 1000mA and 5 - 5.5V
If the power supply cannot maintain the voltage under load sufficiently high, the camera's internal charging circuit may not be fully capable of keeping the internal battery charged to full capacity as the camera operates. The battery can then go through many small charge/discharge cycles during recording, which ages the battery and can lead to premature failure.

To avoid this situation, it is recommended that your external USB power has at least a 1000 mA rating and an output voltage between 5.0 and 5.5V! Also, a short, high quality charging cable should be used to keep the voltage drop from the charger to the camera to a minimum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 00&page=13

At the start of that thread they mention a battery pack [*]M Gum Pro Charger Portable battery 4400mah Micro USB[/*] and only one listing on ebay for 60 bucks from UK. There's others on ebay but they all say ipod and have two ports Im not sure if these will suit the camera.

How to tell if the cable is a "high quality charging cable" ?

Im not technical can anyone suggest a website where to find a suitable battery? Thankyou all.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 pm

dentalfloss wrote:My rides are 3 to 4 hours. This camera is in budget but the stock battery can last only 80 minutes. Could anyone suggested a battery pack available online for this camera?
The seller of my HD808 #16 also sold an external battery ... maybe check what the seller is offering to see if a battery is available.

Andrew

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:08 am

I have the 808 with a battery pack too, great for those longer rides, although after around 9 months of use, whenever the backpack starts to charge the camera it produces interference that disrupts the signal to my cyclocomputer. Not sure if this is just my device though and may pay to keep in mind (ie. mount it away from your cyclocomputer if possible).

I now run it without the backpack because of this.

fingy

Postby fingy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:23 am

My Mobius helmet setup, using same ebay sellers continuous power supply

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:22 am

fingy wrote:My Mobius helmet setup, using same ebay sellers continuous power supply[/url]
Looks nice and neat indeed.

Andrew

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
fingy wrote:My Mobius helmet setup, using same ebay sellers continuous power supply[/url]
Looks nice and neat indeed.

Andrew
I like it also 8)

dentalfloss

Postby dentalfloss » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm

fingy wrote:My Mobius helmet setup, using same ebay sellers continuous power supply
Looks good - how many hours/minutes of recording does the battery provide with that camera?

fingy

Postby fingy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I have only had this cam for about a week and have not run it
flat from a full charge but I know its good for 2.5hr and would
expect around 3hrs, It replaces an 808 #16 D lens and while run
time is less the pictures are surprisingly good. Highly recommended.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Was somebody here after a review of the Drift HD Ghost camera?

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 am

thinking of getting the mobius actioncam. which is better - helmet mount or handlebar mount?

im hoping if i record in 720p 30fps low quality setting with no sound that i'll be able to get 90-100 mins recording time without external battery. would that be reasonable?
i'll just stop recording during boring sections of the ride

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:24 am

I think helmet mount may be better - when you turn to look at something the camera will see what you see. When I had to get the plate of the car behind me because the passenger assaulted the cyclist in front of me it was a bit weird having to turn the handlebars around to get the shot and I would have preferred a helmet mounted camera because it would have shown the passenger getting out of the car and strutting up to the cyclist as I turned my head to watch that part (but not the bike).

I have my GoPro on the handlebars and have two of the predecessor to the mobius not currently attached (I'm lazy and need to pull the finger out) and am planning to put one on my helmet and the other as a rear-view on the bike.

P.S. For all those GoPro owners - I received an email from GoPro - apparently there is a new update for the GoPro cameras. :D

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 am

thanks mate, helmet mount seems to be the go.

potential downside is that the video is alot shakier than handlebar right? at least this was my impression based on youtubes i've seen.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:38 am

Might depend on the bike, but with a road bike all the vibration shows up on camera with a handlebar mount, id say a helmet mount you get your body dampening any vibrations.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 am

dajackal wrote:thanks mate, helmet mount seems to be the go.

potential downside is that the video is alot shakier than handlebar right? at least this was my impression based on youtubes i've seen.
I agree with Bah77. All vibrations are pretty much transferred to my camera by the bike (road bike with 100psi in the tyres) because the camera is on the handlebars. I think mounted on your head will have less vibrations, although possibly more side-to-side instead of up and down due to the movement of your head. You can try both ways and see which you like better. :)

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 pm

What's the mobius like in regards to water proofing? If it's not too good, are there any wet weather cases available for it?

I'm still weighing up camera options. I want one, but I can never decide for long enough what I want.

Price winner: Mobius, followed by GoPro white, contour roam2 & gopro silver, followed by gopro black and contour +2.
Dark video winner: GoPro (any), all others seem rather crappy.
Inconspicuous winner: Mobius followed by Contour (any). GoPro (any) is quite conspicuous.
Waterproofing for rain only (not swimming/diving) without case: Contour ROAM2 - all others seem to require a case.
Width of video: In comparison videos GoPro always seems to have the widest FoV despite both it and Contour claiming the same 170 degree angle?

Basically I don't want something that just catches wind/makes noise and screams out "HAY EVERYONE I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE VIDEO CAMERA MOUNTED ON MY HELMET LOOK AT IT!", but the one that does that the most (GoPro) seems to also have the best quality when it comes to dark/night recording as well as video width (important for car close calls). Having something I can wear in the rain and not worry about is important. I want it to easily and simply clip off after a ride and plug into a computer to charge (or take the video off if something happened). Something that can be mounted horizontal on my helmet rather than at a weird angle is also important.

Am I dreaming with these desires for things I want a camera that fulfills?
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Conspicuity isn't necessarily bad: I suspect that the reason I've had slightly fewer run-ins with motorists lately is that I've been using the GoPro mounted on my helmet more often.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:26 pm

BastardSheep wrote:What's the mobius like in regards to water proofing? If it's not too good, are there any wet weather cases available for it?
If the Mobius is similar to the #16 that it improved on then you can get a 120 degree angle fish lens which seemed fairly good when I was looking through reviews (and was the reason I bought the #16 with that lens). If it is also similar to the #16 then its waterproofing is pretty much non-existent so anything above a couple of drops or two I'd say it might have a few problems.

There are videos of how to knock up a waterproof casing for the #16 involving a TicTac container and some perspex and glue. Hopefully the Mobius isn't any larger since the upgrade. If it isn't, you can waterproof by modifying a small TicTac box (which is another reason I haven't attached the cameras yet - I haven't waterproofed them yet by making the TicTac box container).

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 pm

BastardSheep wrote:What's the mobius like in regards to water proofing? If it's not too good, are there any wet weather cases available for it?

I'm still weighing up camera options. I want one, but I can never decide for long enough what I want.

Price winner: Mobius, followed by GoPro white, contour roam2 & gopro silver, followed by gopro black and contour +2.
Dark video winner: GoPro (any), all others seem rather crappy.
Inconspicuous winner: Mobius followed by Contour (any). GoPro (any) is quite conspicuous.
Waterproofing for rain only (not swimming/diving) without case: Contour ROAM2 - all others seem to require a case.
Width of video: In comparison videos GoPro always seems to have the widest FoV despite both it and Contour claiming the same 170 degree angle?

Basically I don't want something that just catches wind/makes noise and screams out "HAY EVERYONE I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE VIDEO CAMERA MOUNTED ON MY HELMET LOOK AT IT!", but the one that does that the most (GoPro) seems to also have the best quality when it comes to dark/night recording as well as video width (important for car close calls). Having something I can wear in the rain and not worry about is important. I want it to easily and simply clip off after a ride and plug into a computer to charge (or take the video off if something happened). Something that can be mounted horizontal on my helmet rather than at a weird angle is also important.

Am I dreaming with these desires for things I want a camera that fulfills?
Had a look at the drift hd series? They are weatherproof out of the box so it can handle rain and up to 1-3m or something underwater. The lens rotates so you can mount the camera at any angle and then rotate the lens to line up the picture. They are slimmer than the GoPros and you can easily hide them. Only problem with them are mounting options which are fairly limited for road bike users unless you want to get creative with your mounting. Night performance is hit and miss like most action cameras. It will be fine if there is a light source but in darkness the image quality is just gone (Re Drift HD Ghost - better than the Hero 2/beaten by the Hero 3 Black). Just something to consider or have a look at.

http://driftinnovation.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm

That's one I don't think I've seen in the comparisons. Adding to the list of ones to check out. Thanks.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail