The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Dragster1

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:08 pm

The Cyclist that was Drafting a front wheel up my back wheel yesterday for quite a while on the Coronation Drive bike path at Toowong.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Dragster1 wrote:The Cyclist that was Drafting a front wheel up my back wheel yesterday for quite a while on the Coronation Drive bike path at Toowong.
meh. I had one on my wheel the whole path yesterday. the roadworks are all done. it's relatively smooth, visibility is good. just call early. if you don't like it stop and tell them to go away.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:The Cyclist that was Drafting a front wheel up my back wheel yesterday for quite a while on the Coronation Drive bike path at Toowong.
meh. I had one on my wheel the whole path yesterday. the roadworks are all done. it's relatively smooth, visibility is good. just call early. if you don't like it stop and tell them to go away.
I'd rather increase the tempo and see if they have the legs :P

westab

Postby westab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Or if your not quick like me the old snot rocket, or better still the methane BLLLLLAAAAAAASSST. :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :shock:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd rather increase the tempo and see if they have the legs :P
after the last month I had, and it being dark, we sat on 36/37. that was enough

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

http://youtu.be/XCr9gQ16Sx8

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
I normally do this and burn them off but I decided to take a new route into town that was mainly in back streets to avoid traffic and didn't know how rough the route was going to be. Decided to take my old faithful mountain bike in for a spin. After getting lost a few times and some quite large hills and 80kms of riding decided to take the easy way home.

What was even funnier is that they were on a road bike. They actually wouldn't move over and forced me to ride in between two walkers at one stage. Don't really care no was hurt but still not good practise all the same it could of turned worse. I was in a rush to get home well before dark otherwise I would of stoped and it didn't help any that I was held up in the road works for quite a while. I don't mind people drafting as long as the stay behind me, I consider it to be a lot safer.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Boognoss wrote:I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

Cheers, Simon
ouch. you ok simon?
and more importantly, how's the bike?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Boognoss wrote:I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

:shock: Ouch. Hope you and the bike are okay. That looks like a fast road too... Bloody slick metal.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

oooh ouch. I've done that, but not on such a busy road. Are you and the bike okay?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Cheers, Simon
That could have been much worse, hope your alright. Only a few ways to handle that one. Stop and walk over it, or take it at a 90 degree angle and on that road no way.

Hows the bike given falling over on drivetrain side?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Cheers, Simon
I'll parrot what everyone else has said and I hope all is well, could've been a bit nasty.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks all. I have an arm scrape and one near my right knee. Bit of a bruise on my hip but all ok. I've done more damage from lesser accidents. The rain both caused and mitigated this one......

I had a bar end mirror on the right bar end that smashed. Fixed. Also bent the RD hanger which I've just finished fixing. Ended up calling in sick since the bike was non-functional and I knew I wanted it fixed :-). The lovely wife picked me up in a mercy dash.

Back on the road again tomorrow.

I rarely use Beecroft Rd as there are a few other options. I don't think I'll tempt fate there again.

Cheers, Simon
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Cheers, Simon
ouch.. glad to see you're alright.

That second expansion joint is misleading -- its more aligned with your direction of travel than the first. I always hop the front wheel over it as I'm paranoid about it.

At least it looks like you were going fairly slow (accelerating off the lights?).. I'm often flying through there at 40-50km/h with heavy traffic in both lanes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:12 pm

A rider wearing shorts from a certain Uni Velo Club riding a Focus in Loftus Street Sydney this evening - no lights on the bike at all in the dark at 5:30pm. Good way to be hit by a car. Doesn't make you very visible.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Bunny hop? :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Cheers, Simon

That was nasty. Glad you are relatively okay. :shock:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 pm

duncanm wrote:
ouch.. glad to see you're alright.

That second expansion joint is misleading -- its more aligned with your direction of travel than the first. I always hop the front wheel over it as I'm paranoid about it.

At least it looks like you were going fairly slow (accelerating off the lights?).. I'm often flying through there at 40-50km/h with heavy traffic in both lanes.
Thanks.

I'll be more paranoid now on the occasion I ride on Beecroft Rd.

Yes just started from the lights and early enough that no one was behind. Phew.

Cheers, Simon

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Boognoss wrote:Thanks all. I have an arm scrape and one near my right knee. Bit of a bruise on my hip but all ok. I've done more damage from lesser accidents. The rain both caused and mitigated this one......
Back on the road again tomorrow.
I rarely use Beecroft Rd as there are a few other options. I don't think I'll tempt fate there again.
Glad you are ok. I ride Beecroft Road daily (even when raining) and always worry about those joints.
I try to start on left hand side of the lane and angle to the right of the lane to make the crossing more perpendicular.
So far so good. Touch wood!
I used to turn down onto the M2 here but now that is still two years away sigh.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:31 pm

am50em wrote:
Glad you are ok. I ride Beecroft Road daily (even when raining) and always worry about those joints.
I try to start on left hand side of the lane and angle to the right of the lane to make the crossing more perpendicular.
So far so good. Touch wood!
I used to turn down onto the M2 here but now that is still two years away sigh.
There you go, my video can be a reminder of how NOT to ride over them :-D

Yep another two sodding years............

Cheers, Simon

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:03 pm

I always try to ride with care on steel, wood and any type of large rock surface when wet. I had a bit of an off on a wooden bridge when it was raining heavy :oops: lesson learnt

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Cheers, Simon
Ouch! I always try to hit that one at 90 degrees.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

I went over that joint this morning.. and as I was caught at the lights was going relatively slowly.

Looked down and had a peek at it -- there is almost no rubber/fill between the steel edges -- so it is basically two very slippery rails with a 2" gap between them.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 am

duncanm wrote:I went over that joint this morning.. and as I was caught at the lights was going relatively slowly.

Looked down and had a peek at it -- there is almost no rubber/fill between the steel edges -- so it is basically two very slippery rails with a 2" gap between them.
At about the worst angle it could be too. I avoided the area this morning :D.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Boognoss wrote:
There you go, my video can be a reminder of how NOT to ride over them :-D

Yep another two sodding years............

Cheers, Simon
Yeh glad you're OK and thanks heaps for posting that video. I've ridden over that same part a few times but only when not raining- I totally would not have recognized such danger (would have thought I could just slide over it) if it was raining and would have done exactly the same thing as you sometime in the future... :shock: