Being prepared

vgolfer

Postby vgolfer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Interesting reading! I've been riding to work for about 6 months now and haven't even carried an inner tube...stupidly. Tonight it finally happened! Puncture in my back tyre and had to trudge about 2kms home. I was lucky I was that close!

Off to the bike shop tomorrow to stock up.

Just one question. Any hints on the best way to change a tube...especially taking the back wheel off. I have changed a front tyre before, but not certain I did it the easiest way.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Plenty of help on the net for this one.

Here's thePark Tools web site solution.

Here's a video.

You'll even find a few hints here already. Here's a Google search for them ....
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:47 pm

vgolfer wrote: Just one question. Any hints on the best way to change a tube...especially taking the back wheel off. I have changed a front tyre before, but not certain I did it the easiest way.
At home when there is no stress. And practice until it feels right. Then when you actually have to do it on the road you won't be wondering if you are doing it right.

vgolfer

Postby vgolfer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for the info. Also did a bit of Youtube'ing and some good tips there also.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 am

vgolfer wrote:Interesting reading! I've been riding to work for about 6 months now and haven't even carried an inner tube...stupidly. Tonight it finally happened! Puncture in my back tyre and had to trudge about 2kms home. I was lucky I was that close!
When I first started riding for fun, it never occurred to me to carry a repair kit. My first puncture was about 15Km from home, on a fire trail, just on dusk with a gentle rain starting to fall.

I carried a repair kit after that ;)

vgolfer

Postby vgolfer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:50 am

I must admit I did feel like a bit of a dill pushing my bike along Bridge Rd and getting the occassional "Noob" smirk from passing riders :idea:

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:01 pm

I carry a "POD" repair pack on my bike - it fits into one of my bidon cages and contains (very strategically packed) 2 tubes, 2 tyre levers, 2 CO2 bulbs and trigger, and a bike tool.

Everything I could ever need.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm

........except enough water.

I didn't mean that to sound too negative. Cannondale have what they call a "pod" available from PBK. Just my saddle bag of choice, but holds everything mentioned above. Also remeber to put your jersey pockets to use.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm

uncle arthur wrote:I carry a "POD" repair pack on my bike - it fits into one of my bidon cages and contains (very strategically packed) 2 tubes, 2 tyre levers, 2 CO2 bulbs and trigger, and a bike tool.

...unless you have >2 punctures :wink:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 pm

jasimon wrote: At home when there is no stress. And practice until it feels right. Then when you actually have to do it on the road you won't be wondering if you are doing it right.
My dad wouldn't let me drive a car until I had learned to change a tire - in the daytime and nighttime as well! When I got back into cycling I did the same thing. The day my bike arrived I "changed" the tire front and back to make sure I could do it.

Now I can adjust brakes, fix chains, tune gears and even true wheels while on the road if it ever came to that. Maybe I should do a guerrilla cycling repair video using as few tools as possible!

David

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:15 pm

m@ wrote:
uncle arthur wrote:I carry a "POD" repair pack on my bike - it fits into one of my bidon cages and contains (very strategically packed) 2 tubes, 2 tyre levers, 2 CO2 bulbs and trigger, and a bike tool.

...unless you have >2 punctures :wink:
No - I need three punctures for it to be a problem
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 pm

... and 3>2 ....
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm yet to have more than one puncture on a ride, but take two tubes and four patches. I say this before heading out on the 200km Audax ride on Saturday, which is no problem because I am not supersticious.

vgolfer

Postby vgolfer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Wouldn't you know it...after not having a puncture, I have had 2 in 2 days!

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:50 pm

MountGower wrote:I'm yet to have more than one puncture on a ride, but take two tubes and four patches. I say this before heading out on the 200km Audax ride on Saturday, which is no problem because I am not supersticious.
...yet ;)