ROMAC 500km in 24 hours

Low Racer

ROMAC 500km in 24 hours

Postby Low Racer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Hi all,
I just heard the great news that Glenn Druery will be here in Coffs on 27th September for the above event. If you haven't heard who he is, he has ridden RAAM (Ride Across America) twice on his Velokraft NOCOM low racer. He will be riding his NOCOM for the event. I will definitely be there to watch him and participate part of the event. If you are heading this way, make sure you drop by at the velodrome.

Chong

Arcabike

Glenn Druery in 500km race

Postby Arcabike » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:26 pm

Great, good to have a world class cyclist like Glenn Druery in such an event, he is a real nice guy and an fantastic racer. In RAAM last year I was glued to the computer screen. When he had the tyre blow out on the first night I didn't expect him or the Team to finish but
Glenn (superman) Druery rode like a man possessed. As his Team mate Tim said "Glenn really lived up to the Aussie stereotype of being hard and tough".
Good luck Glenn
PS It's the Race Across America Chong, not ride.
Last edited by Arcabike on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:32 pm

Yes I've been hearing about this for a bit and have a mate who's riding in it....
So I'll be there to cheer him on.

I did ask if us "odd" recumbent riders could put in a team but it seems it's all about getting big Dollars together and cost a $1000 to enter a team
Sure that might be fine for those who have backers...
and yes it's great to suport kids in this way
but us poorer one's will do it in our own way

See ya there

Poiter

ROMAC - here we go again

Postby Poiter » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Sounds like LR and Arcabike has been taken in by the Drurey marketing hype.

This from entry form:
"Recumbents, fixed wheel bicycles, unicycles, trikes, motorised and power-assisted bicycles, tagalongs, trailers or child seats are NOT permitted for solo or 500km team riders.

I kinda, sorts doubt they will let Glenn ride his NoCom.

Nice looking track though.
http://www.romac.org.au/news/coffs
Some local could organise recumbent races on there....

Pete

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi Pete,
Glenn has been given the exception to ride his NoCom. There are few rules he has to follow i.e. he can't ride in line with the train. He will be lapping them anyway. He will also be giving a talk on RAAM on Friday night.

Chong

Arcabike

Postby Arcabike » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi Pete,

Glenn Druery is actually Clark Kent

I had the good fortune to race Glenn in the Round the Bay in a Day. He passed my bunch of 6, we were all on DF bikes, we chased him for a while but he disappeared ahead of us at speeds we just couldn't maintain. I to talked to him after the ride, the guy is infectiously optimistic, he raved about recumbents for ages, he even let me ride his bike.
He's a dynamic racer and a great guy.

'The force is strong in this one'.

Cheers
AB

william

Postby william » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Nice for Glenn to get exception but what about others?
I wanted to ride my Bacchetta Corsa in the Ride Around The Bay ride and was told I have to have a flag on a pole and last year was a last minute decision to let them ride. Sad state of affairs for a fun, charitable event.
I hope Glenn creams them and opens eyes.

William.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:41 pm

william wrote:I wanted to ride my Bacchetta Corsa in the Ride Around The Bay ride and was told I have to have a flag on a pole and last year was a last minute decision to let them ride.
Don't let that stop you: get a short pole and a flag which tells them to "go stick it!" Or put an Aussie flag on it, or point it downwards. Lots of ways to make your flag one of protest.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Rules changed along the way... :)
So now anyone can ride [on the top of the track not down with the wedgies]....
long as you get some moneys together for the kids...
Seems the go to have more of all types of riders....

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi Leigh,
Yes, it is great that they have made the changes as I can now ride with my M5 (here by next week) on the top track.

Just to keep you updated, on the 26th September, 6pm Catholic Club Glenn Druery will be speaking to us about cycling, motivation and the Race Across America, (he has a photo presentation), and there will be a full rider brief. Free entry, buy your own drinks and food as you require them.

Will you be coming?

Regards

Chong

Arcabike

Postby Arcabike » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Low Racer wrote:Hi Leigh,
Yes, it is great that they have made the changes as I can now ride with my M5 (here by next week) on the top track.

Just to keep you updated, on the 26th September, 6pm Catholic Club Glenn Druery will be speaking to us about cycling, motivation and the Race Across America, (he has a photo presentation), and there will be a full rider brief. Free entry, buy your own drinks and food as you require them.

Will you be coming?

Regards

Chong
Glenn Druery did a speech at the Audax Alpine Classic, I didn't see it but some people I know did and said Glenn is a very good and natural speaker. Too bad I can't come.
Chong, could you record some of his talk and put it on You-tube?

Cheers
AB

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 pm

I'll try and make it for the talk
If not I'll see you on the day

M5 .... I've only seen pics....be good to see one for real :)