Upgrade suggestions?

Jace

Upgrade suggestions?

Postby Jace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey everyone,

I am considering adding a second bike to my collection and using my current ride for training and alike and getting a bit more serious on something else. I havent really set a budget as yet as I am planning on using a chunk of my (hopeful) tax return on it. I would love to get into a few crits and alike as well. My current bike is the Avanti Giro 4 with Ultegra which is a nice bit of kit but I know its fairly low in the overall scheme of things. This is list of a few I was looking at ranging from $2500 to a tick over 5K depending on how generous the tax man wants to be. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which is the best option to possibly pursue.

Scott CR1 w/Dura Ace 7900 at $4700.

Pinarello FPQuattro w/Di Ult 2012 at $4200

Giant TCR Advanced SL w/not sure at $4500

Pinarello FPQuattro w/Campy centaur at $2900

Pinarello Paris Ultegra Di2 2013 at $5500

Litespeed Li2 2013 w/ultegra Di2 $5100

Scott Foil 20 w/ultegra $3000

Cervelo S5 w/Ultegra 2013 $4000

Litespeed C1 w/Di2 $3000

Focus Izalco Pro 1.0 or 3.0 $4700 and $3100

Scott Foil Team Issue w/Dura Ace 9000 $5300

Polygon Helios A9.0X w/Dura Ace 9070 Di2 $4700

Alternatively has anyone seen anything else that might be good?
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

briztoon

Re: Upgrade suggestions?

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Jace wrote:Scott CR1 w/Dura Ace 7900 at $4700.
I can't comment on the list of bikes you've posted, except to say you have different style road bikes on that list. Aero road bikes, standard road bikes and relaxed geometry road bikes for the rougher rides. What type of riding are looking at doing and what are looking for in the bike.

You should be able to get a much better price than that.
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102019360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See if they'll price match. And check all the features, make sure they are the same as advertised. My recent purchase.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=66641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As you can see my bike differed from the advertised description, so I received a discount which I used to buy some matching peddles and kitted out the bike.

Jace

Postby Jace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Yeah I did go with a selection of different types. The problem is I ideally want something for both low level racing and long rides so I am torn as to which direction to go. How have you found the CR1? Maybe its possible to get a better price on it based on that link you posted.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 pm

I love the ride. I've only taken it for one decent ride since buying it though. Dura ace is snappier than 105, and my ride was definitely faster than the same ride on my tarmac. Though my tarmac is set up for commuting, much heavier wheels and tyres. Still tinkering with the over all fit, want to change the seat angle a little, drop the handle bar angle a little and drop the stem spacer and see how it feels.

As for the price, well here's the same bike in Vic for $4000. I'd definitely be bargaining with your LBS to get the price matched.
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102152357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 pm

If you are keen on crit racing, forgo the "high end" bikes.

You'll be shattered when you bin it on race day.
...and don't kid yourself, you will bin it!
Crashes are all to frequent, and often not even your fault.

Crit racing is as much about tactics and race craft, as it is fitness, power and physical ability.
Even a 2kg advantage of the "high end" bikes won't help you much here.

If I was planing on going crit racing, I'd buy a cervelo soloist or similar (light, stiff, good, alloy frame).
Something you can afford to crash and not cry over.
Deck it out with light alloy wheels (that you can spin up to speed quickly), & zero carbon.

Or if you are set on treating youself to a "high end" bike, go for it, but use that as your cafe Sunday cruiser, and take the Avanti crit racing.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Ps: from your list I'd lean towards the FOCUS,
but there are plenty of other bikes to be had for your money.

I'm sure everyone here will be happy to spend it for you, but you have to first work out what style of bike you want.

Enjoy the decision making process. :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 pm

If u want an stiff, light all rounder from cervelo, steer well clear of the S5, and get the entry level R3. Nice bikes for the money... Even better, get a 2012 model so u can get the old color scheme, which looks a lot better than the latest offering IMHO, and it will save $$$ in the process....

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 pm

I'd look at the Focus ...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Jace

Postby Jace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Dimis wrote:If you are keen on crit racing, forgo the "high end" bikes.

You'll be shattered when you bin it on race day.
...and don't kid yourself, you will bin it!
Crashes are all to frequent, and often not even your fault.

Crit racing is as much about tactics and race craft, as it is fitness, power and physical ability.
Even a 2kg advantage of the "high end" bikes won't help you much here.

If I was planing on going crit racing, I'd buy a cervelo soloist or similar (light, stiff, good, alloy frame).
Something you can afford to crash and not cry over.
Deck it out with light alloy wheels (that you can spin up to speed quickly), & zero carbon.

Or if you are set on treating youself to a "high end" bike, go for it, but use that as your cafe Sunday cruiser, and take the Avanti crit racing.
Yeah thats a valid point, I hadnt considered that element. Maybe its worth using the Avanti to thrash and use the new one for my cruising rides.

Jace

Postby Jace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Of the Focus options am I better looking at the 1.0 or 3.0?

I was also looking at the BMC RM01 w/Ultegra at 5k or BMC SLR01 w/SRAM Red at the same price.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am

Go the 1.0

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 am

I had some one in the industry who had no vested interest in what bike I bought heavily recommend I look at a Focus as well, but in my case a Focus Cayo. Only thing was that I just had my heart set on a CR1 for the last 2 years.

Two bikes I would definitely want to checkout and test ride (in my price range) would be;
Wilier GranTurismo Ultegra 6700 2012 http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102045864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lapierre Xelius 400 2013 http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102262800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had the chance to see the Lapierre up close last month, and it's a very nice looking bike.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:37 am

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102176729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am

How about knocking a grand off the price Mark. :D
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102250429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 am

Offer em cash :grin:

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 am

Jace wrote:Of the Focus options am I better looking at the 1.0 or 3.0?

I was also looking at the BMC RM01 w/Ultegra at 5k or BMC SLR01 w/SRAM Red at the same price.
Ill preface this by saying - that's an unfair question to ask me. ;)
FWIW: I have no allegiance to any brand, but you'd be forgiven for thinking I might.
Here's what my stable looks like.

The SLR01 is perfect for me, YMMV.
It's going to depend on what YOU want and what YOUR using it for.
Once you have a clearer picture of that pm me and I'll give you my 2cents ;)

You have good "problems", plenty of solid bikes to chose from with your budget.

Enjoy

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23 am

MarkG wrote:Go the 1.0
Would you? :? :shock:
I'm not convinced if I would.

I'd probably go for the Focus 3.0

Frames are the same.
I prefer SRAM to Shimano (but that's a personal thing), DA is better than Force admittedly, but Force is certainly still very good, and for $1600 difference, I've no issue with it.

Or for the same money down, I can get a very handy set of custom wheels built from TWE (Greg or other) that would improve my 3.0 far beyond the 1.0's DA minor shift advantage.

But that's just me...

PS: If they are lining on the wall and I had a free choice of any I'd take my BMC SLR01, its a magic carpet ride and an extension of my body.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 am

I would stick with my Venge :p

Jace

Postby Jace » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Hmmm there is some great food for thought in there. That Focus from Turramurra at $3700 looks very attractive with the DA although if it was going at the $4700 I found it for I am not sure the 1.0 is worth the extra cash.

I am quite interested in the SLR01 as well as well as the couple of Scotts. I thought the Foil Team Issue looked like a great bit of kit too...

So so far based on the this thread I am best looking at a Focus, BMC or maybe a Scott. No love for Pinarellos, Litespeed, Polygon, Cervelo or Giant?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:59 pm

That Izalco is awesome!`

Jace

Postby Jace » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:05 am

I contacted Turramurra about the Izalco but they are only have it in a medium and I am a large frame. They suggested a Trek Madone 5.9 which never really crossed my radar. Does anyone know anything about it?

Part of my concern is the fact it its going for $4500 which is a similar price to the Izalco but the Izalco has DA and the Trek run Ultegra. Anyone have any thoughts?

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:34 am

I have no personal experience (I ride Force), but based on reviews, I wouldn't be laying big cash on anything with DA 7900 or U6700 (DI2 or not). The 9000/6800 is apparently a big jump is shift quality.
Not looking for arguments, just stating my personal views based solely on the all too much online reading I do.
GL with what ever you choose.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:56 am

Jace wrote:
Giant TCR Advanced SL w/not sure at $4500

Focus Izalco Pro 1.0 or 3.0 $4700 and $3100

Scott Foil Team Issue w/Dura Ace 9000 $5300
+ Boardman Road Air 9.8 $5000
+ Giant Propel Advanced SL 1 2013 $5000

I'd look at those plus the Boardman because it comes 404 Firecrests which would easily be half the bike price and can't be matched by any of the other bikes.
The Izalco is frameset is amazing value for money. If I was to get the lighter 1.0, I would prefer to supplement that weight Di2. Otherwise the 3.0 with SRAM force is pretty identical. I would suggest riding the Giant's at this pricepoint.

I'm not a BMC fan so not experienced with their frames. Just test ride as many as you can.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:12 am

I really like my Giant much love here but the std wheels are rubbish so take that into account when spending your $$. Treks are over priced I think, have a look at the new Merida's too good to ride and value right up there. Pinnies are nice all my mates love theirs but personally I can't see the value in them and don't feel they ride better than a mid spec Giant.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 am

Jace wrote:I contacted Turramurra about the Izalco but they are only have it in a medium and I am a large frame.
Contact the other stores selling the Izalco and see if they'll price match. No need to tell them that the Turramurra store doesn't have a bike in your size. Stores might not be able to come down the $1000, but they may drop $500 off the price.

However I would still get out there and test ride as many bikes as you can. You might find an aero road bike is not as comfortable as an endurance (relaxed geometry) road bike for you. Or you might prefer the look and feel of a "standard" road bike. Find the bike you feel most comfortable on within your budget, and don't get so wrapped up looking for perceived value for money.

When I bought my first "proper" road bike a couple of years ago, I bought a Specialized Tarmac because it was $500 cheaper than the Scott CR1 and I also received $500 worth of cycling gear thrown in for free, and for me it represented far better value for money. Even though the CR1 was a better ride for me, relaxed geometry with the short wheel base for responsive handling. For the last couple of years I've always had a niggling feeling that I should have bought the CR1.

I'm just lucky that I found myself in a position recently to be able to afford a new bike and that a top of the line CR1 was drastically discounted down in to my price range. So I keep my Tarmac as my daily commuter which I'm happy with, and have the CR1 for my longer weekend rides.

Get out and test ride the bikes on your list. Come up with a short list, and take those bikes for a longer test ride and pick the ride you feel most comfortable on.