Worthwhile ? Effective? Legal for tt ?

Currently just 60mm carbon wheels
Thx

dalai47

Re: Rear wheel disc covers

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am

Can't comment on the above brand.

But in general

Effective? Yes http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc-data.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legal for TT? Not UCI events (all TTs requiring a Cycling Australia licence including club races)

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:55 am

seems weird that you can use a disc wheel, but not "make your own"

alex - you said you used one at uci world level- i was just thinking about nsw state masters

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 am

scotto wrote:seems weird that you can use a disc wheel, but not "make your own"
Rule
1.3.024 Any device, added or blended into the structure, that is destined to decrease, or which has the effect
of decreasing, resistance to air penetration or artificially to accelerate propulsion, such as a protective
screen, fuselage form fairing or the like, shall be prohibited.

Unless there has been a change more recently that I am not aware of?

HED discs get away with it as the cover is bonded so deemed structural.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:15 am

A work colleage of mine used one in Ironman Australia a few months ago. It's one of the Wheelbuilder Aero Jacket covers and he says it works very well
It doesn't make the unique sound of a true disc wheel however...so no intimidation factor

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I have a Wheelbuilder cover on my 404 Zipp and use it for club TTs where they aren't concerned with silly UCI rules. It's just as aero as a "proper" disc and considerably lighter, so the best of both worlds.

When I first installed the cover I was really dissapointed with the fit. I couldn't get it smooth or flat, it was all lumpy where the fastening screws held it onto the wheel. So I took the wheel off and bought a proper disc and used that for a while and then one day pulled the original covered wheel out of storage and found the cover had somehow sorted itself out and was now smooth.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 pm

PANZR wrote:A work colleage of mine used one in Ironman Australia a few months ago. It's one of the Wheelbuilder Aero Jacket covers and he says it works very well.
No issue with legality in any triathlons, because they're not governed by UCI rules.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 pm

scotto wrote:seems weird that you can use a disc wheel, but not "make your own"

alex - you said you used one at uci world level- i was just thinking about nsw state masters
Yes, I rode wheel covers at UCI World Cup road TT and in other championships with full scrutineering. Heck I had to have a helmet the right colour (true!).

That doesn't mean every one every time will be permitted to. Just as likely to show up with a different group of commissaires and be ask to remove it. The "make your own" thing is likely to be more of an issue from a structural/safety POV.

If fitted properly they are pretty well indistiguishable from a disk. One could interpret the rule differently, and as dalai said a strict interpretation is they are not permitted. Really it's up to the commissaires and if they see no reason not to consider it a legal disk wheel I doubt you'll run into trouble. They are mostly concerned with the bars and saddle placement, if they have enough to perform the scrutineering at all. Still, I'd have a spare wheel just in case ;-)

If for your local TTs or triathlons, then per $ they are one of the best equipment based aero improvements available.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Well that does it, i'm getting myself some election signs and zip ties :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 pm

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aero-disc-covers.htm

thats a good chart guide on tests done to covers, disc wheels & rims.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 pm

That link goes to a 404, this is the one you want http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc-data.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

VERY interesting stuff.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm

They didn't scrutineer bikes at the NSW Masters ITT this year. They did scrutineer the bikes and helmets at the Australian ITT last year.

The rules are designed to prevent you adding an aerodynamic aid, which is what a cover gives you. Where a disk wheel is an integral part of the structure.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Grim

Postby Grim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Been using a Disc Cover on my Zipp 808 Tubular for a couple of years now but when you can pick up a FloDisc for $599USD+shipping, I'm going to turf the cover get the full Disc goodness.

http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_flo_disc.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;