Plan commute to work - comments?

kyap

Plan commute to work - comments?

Postby kyap » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi,

As this is the first time, I want to make sure everything planned properly before commute. Anyone can comment, suggest or advise the planning?

- Bike
Cervelo S2, front and rear lights, thinking of swapping out the road pedal to mtb spd for ease of clip in and out.
- One way 35km with uphills.
I have tried riding on weekend and it took me about 2 hrs one way. Going home is 10 mins faster.
- Start work 830am finish 5pm.
Plan to start riding at 6am, can have buffer incase punctures and time to clean up.
- Bag
Will be using a backpack (Mountain Designs bike backpack). Roll up work shirt/pants/socks (will leave the work shoe at office)/small towel/deodorant
- Parking
No parking facilities. Train bike lockers is 5 mins walk from work and I plan to use it. Is it safe to park expensive bike?
- No showers facilities
Plan to just use small towel rinse off sweat with hot water from the work common toilet. Is this recommended? I am afraid if work colleague see me cleaning up might make a complain about been "not thoroughly clean - hygiene issue".
- Frequency
For a start maybe commute once a week. As I get comfortable, will be twice a week and eventually as much as possible.

Thanks ;)

ab012

Re: Plan commute to work - comments?

Postby ab012 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Probably obvious comment/suggestion - are your lights bright enough for the road you will be using - as a reasonable chunk of your commute time maybe in the dark?

kyap

Postby kyap » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi ab012, my front light is L&M 180. Rear is Knog Boomer. Ta

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 pm

kyap wrote:- Parking
No parking facilities. Train bike lockers is 5 mins walk from work and I plan to use it. Is it safe to park expensive bike?
I haven't used them but I'd be very wary of using train bike lockers to lock up an expensive bike. It may be better and safer if the locker is such that the bike is completely out of view but if anyone sees you putting your lovely bike in and decides they want it, it will be goodbye to the bike.

If it is an expensive bike can you bring it into your office? Can you ask the boss whether it can be stored in a rarely used storeroom or meeting room if they won't allow it into the office proper?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 pm

I would suggest getting a cheap older 12-14speed steel framed bike for commuting. Look for one with mudguard mounts. This way you won't use the rain as a reason not to ride to work and you want be to worried about it getting grubby or leaving it at the train station locker.

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Commuting with a back pack sucks,after doing 35k you will have a super sweat stain from your backpack.Do your self a favour and buy a rack and panniers.It makes such a huge difference.Come summer you will definately need a shower.

kyap

Postby kyap » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Summernight wrote:Can you ask the boss whether it can be stored in a rarely used storeroom or meeting room if they won't allow it into the office proper?
Unfortunately no. :(
singlespeedscott wrote:I would suggest getting a cheap older 12-14speed steel framed bike for commuting.
Hmmm, looks like sourcing out a cheap commuter bike is the only option. I was thinking try not to spend to much as I'm pretty tight financially.
gpz1100 wrote:Commuting with a back pack sucks
I know. But don't think I'll be getting a rack and panniers for the Cervelo. I'll keep that option if I decide to get a cheap commute.

Thanks guys.
Looks like my problem is mainly concerning about parking a good bike or a cheap commute in the secure locker.
Cheap commute, mudguards, rack and panniers...got it! :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm

If you are just kicking off with a single commute per week can you leave all your gear at work the day before so you don't need a pack, or only minimal pack? I started out taking daily supplies in a pack, but now take them in bulk, or when I have to drive so I can have a light pack most days. I prefer a pack as it doesn't affect the bike handling as much. I'm also used to carrying a camelbak mountain biking for several hours at a time so I'm used to it.

Is there a gym within a few min walk for a shower? If anyone hits you up about washing, tell them the alternative is to not wash at all.

Allow enough time to cool down before you wash, first time I looked like I had been walking in the rain within a few minutes of dressing. Now I take up to ten min to cool, depending on how hot it is and how hard I've ridden.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kyap

Postby kyap » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 pm

bychosis wrote:If you are just kicking off with a single commute per week can you leave all your gear at work the day before so you don't need a pack, or only minimal pack? I started out taking daily supplies in a pack, but now take them in bulk, or when I have to drive so I can have a light pack most days. I prefer a pack as it doesn't affect the bike handling as much. I'm also used to carrying a camelbak mountain biking for several hours at a time so I'm used to it.
That is a good idea. I take train to work everyday so I can take the change the day before. Probably this weekend I might try to carry the backpack and do a trial and see how I feel. Might be different when the days get hotter.
bychosis wrote:Is there a gym within a few min walk for a shower?
Yes but it comes with normal membership fees which I think not worth just using the shower.
bychosis wrote:Allow enough time to cool down before you wash, first time I looked like I had been walking in the rain within a few minutes of dressing. Now I take up to ten min to cool, depending on how hot it is and how hard I've ridden.
Noted ;)

Thanks

kyap

Postby kyap » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 am

So I managed to source out a cheapie road bike but when I ride on it I felt my arm very stretched. I realised the handlebar has a long reach and the stem of 100mm. The bike is about 50cm which is my size. The stretched measured roughly about 4-5cm longer compared my Cervelo.

Been thinking the budget way to solve it is to replace the stem to 60mm or 70mm.

I heard about too short a stem cause twitchy handling. Do you think this will be a big problem?? This bike only use for work commute 70ks return and occasional small groceries around my area.

Ta

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 am

kyap wrote:So I managed to source out a cheapie road bike but when I ride on it I felt my arm very stretched. I realised the handlebar has a long reach and the stem of 100mm. The bike is about 50cm which is my size. The stretched measured roughly about 4-5cm longer compared my Cervelo.

Been thinking the budget way to solve it is to replace the stem to 60mm or 70mm.

I heard about too short a stem cause twitchy handling. Do you think this will be a big problem?? This bike only use for work commute 70ks return and occasional small groceries around my area.

Ta
The short stem will not be a problem if the reach on the bars is long. Remember your hands will not care if the reach is obtained via a 80mm stem plus a 100m reach bar or a 110 mm stem with a 70mm reach bar.

kyap

Postby kyap » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:04 am

singlespeedscott wrote:The short stem will not be a problem if the reach on the bars is long. Remember your hands will not care if the reach is obtained via a 80mm stem plus a 100m reach bar or a 110 mm stem with a 70mm reach bar.
Erm...it ended up the same reach. I dunno the exact reach of the cheapie handlebar. Say 100mm reach with 100mm stem, changing the stem to say 60mm (total cut short by 40mm)..will that be issue?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:42 am

I don't know if you are a very sweaty person. I am and it is an issue for me. I almost always cycle commute around 10km to work. I take it easy and don't push it... mostly because I'm not really that awake in the mornings. Anyway, on any warmer days even though we have full shower facilities at work, I can have beads of sweat rolling down inside my business shirt by the time I get to my desk. I usually just put some paper towels inside my shirt until I have cooled down. I don't have the option of cooling down before my shower.

I do love cycling in to work though. It's so much nicer than the bus or train.
<removed by request>

kyap

Postby kyap » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 am

Wooohoooooo.....!!!

Did my first commute to work in my life!!!! It was tiring but extremely enjoyable. 32ks exactly 2 hours. Morning shower and wet wipes did the trick of cleaning and fresh at work.

With the cheap roadie having problem, I decided to go for a used mtb 29er. Hopefully by commuting more, I can save on train tix.

Put on thin commute tires and with everything on (lights, saddle bag, garmin...) it weigh 15kgs :P
It hurt so much on the hills :(

After all, I enjoyed it.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 am

kyap wrote:Wooohoooooo.....!!!

Did my first commute to work in my life!!!! It was tiring but extremely enjoyable. 32ks exactly 2 hours. Morning shower and wet wipes did the trick of cleaning and fresh at work.

With the cheap roadie having problem, I decided to go for a used mtb 29er. Hopefully by commuting more, I can save on train tix.

Put on thin commute tires and with everything on (lights, saddle bag, garmin...) it weigh 15kgs :P
It hurt so much on the hills :(

After all, I enjoyed it.
Well done, Kyap!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 am

Nice work, Kyap. And with riding the heavier bike, when you get back on the S2 it'll feel like a dream! :D

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Summernight wrote:Nice work, Kyap. And with riding the heavier bike, when you get back on the S2 it'll feel like a dream! :D
This is true! After pushing my 15kg commuter all week, it' a joy to jump on the roadie (or even the unencumbered MTB) on weekends.

kyap

Postby kyap » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks guys!!

I hope to get faster on S2 too with this commute.

Anyway, yesterday heading back home was kinda stressing for me. My first time passing through city at peak hours. Traffic was crazy. Too many start and stop. Going up King St and right to Castlereagh St is not easy with many cars doing filtering is scary.

Have tested the route using S2 on weekend which heading home took me 1 1/2 hr. Yesterday took me 2 1/2 hrs. :(

Guess I need to get used to it. Another big mistake I've learned, never again ride on empty stomach. Was hungry half way and my whole body trembling from it. (had my lunch at 1230 and normally dinner at 630). Reached home only at 730 last night. Lucky the mtb has triple and I was on the smallest taking it easy on hills.

Oh boy...what an experience. :P

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 am

Lucky the mtb has triple and I was on the smallest taking it easy on hills.
Ah, I was reading something on Gumtree about MTB triple power :mrgreen: and I thought it was just marketing!

But yes, nothing worse than bonking from lack of food (fuel) with plenty of ride left to complete. Handy to have a couple of $ handy so you can stop at a convenient shop if this happens. Or keep a handy bar or gel in your commute kit perhaps.