Help with a route from Brisbane to Hervey bay

Dragster1

Help with a route from Brisbane to Hervey bay

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi
Can anyone please help with info on riding from Brisbane to Hervey bay. I am looking at stoping every 100kms roughly with staying over night for a break. I would like to try and ride on roads with minimal traffic. I have a basic route but don't know how good the roads are ?

Brisbane --Red cliff--Caboolture--Bli Bli --Noosa--Tin can bay--Maryborough--Hervey Bay

Any help would be Grateful.

Mustang

Re: Help with a route from Brisbane to Hervey bay

Postby Mustang » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 pm

I think your route might be a bit confused, you would not go to Tin Can Bay on your way to the HB unless your touring.?
Try bickley.com
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Mustang wrote:I think your route might be a bit confused, you would not go to Tin Can Bay on your way to the HB unless your touring.?
Try bickley.com
Im going solo and trying to do it in 4 days, Its like a test run for me . I know its a bit hard to understand without a route.I cant get my planned route to up load atm. I don't know how hilly or the conditions of some of the roads are as I have never ridden out of Brisbane and I plan on doing 100km to 120km day. Tin can bay falls on 120km from my noosa stop otherwise I have to keep on going through to Maryborough.

The last bit I know is a lot of inclines and the road is rough so I may not be able to cruise on my top speed. They were doing road works there a year ago (Cooloola coast road) used be gravel and its finally been covered in bitumen hoping it would be good enough for my road bike now. If you know of a better route to take let me know.

These are my planned stops
Forest Lake to Caboolture----Caboolture to Noosa----Noosa to Tincan bay-----Tincan bay to Hervay Bay

Thanks for the link :)

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Good luck with your proposed journey, you might get additional information if you put a new post on this topic in the "Touring Australia " BNA sub-forum.

I did in fact cycle from Hervey Bay to Tin Can Bay on the coast road but that was 21 years ago.
The road was fully sealed then, nothing remarkable about it, but things can change over that many years.

Not sure the best route to take from Tin Can Bay to Noosa.
Some of the back roads there are a bit hairy.

Noosa to Coolum is a very nice road for cycling, just expect there will be lots of cars and some trucks.
Again not sure what would be the best way to get from Caboolture to Coolum, but dare i say there is a train that goes part of the way !
Good luck.
Steve

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 pm

elantra wrote:Good luck with your proposed journey, you might get additional information if you put a new post on this topic in the "Touring Australia " BNA sub-forum.

I did in fact cycle from Hervey Bay to Tin Can Bay on the coast road but that was 21 years ago.
The road was fully sealed then, nothing remarkable about it, but things can change over that many years.

Not sure the best route to take from Tin Can Bay to Noosa.
Some of the back roads there are a bit hairy.

Noosa to Coolum is a very nice road for cycling, just expect there will be lots of cars and some trucks.
Again not sure what would be the best way to get from Caboolture to Coolum, but dare i say there is a train that goes part of the way !
Good luck.
Steve
Thanks for the input, They must of grated the road back to the dirt in some sections when I went through but they were resurfacing the whole road and going wider. Its looking more like the hybrid bike is going to be used for the trip. My return journey will by train from Maryborough and I really want to ride the whole way atm. :)