Cape to Cape MTB 2013

env1romelza

Cape to Cape MTB 2013

Postby env1romelza » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:39 pm

I've done something crazy and committed to the 2013 Cape to Cape MTB, my first ever real cycling event :shock: ! I'm doing it for fun, and because a few years ago I saw it and thought it looked awesome but thought would be impossible for someone like me. Now I'm going to prove myself wrong! I've got a way to go to build MTB skill and fitness but have a few books that have helped me map out a bit of a training plan.
Are there any other perth women out there who perhaps are like me and are giving this a go later in the year? I'd love to do some rides with others that are doing it. Most challenging part for me is getting regular rides in - I work away on a 2 & 1 roster and the light is already starting to fade after work. But I have a bike here, a bit of a gym and I'm determined! I hope to be able to meet up with someone with similar goals for rides each break when I'm I home.
Also would like to meet people who enjoy going down south to camp and ride. I've been unable to convince any of friends to give MTB a go :( .
Anyway I'm 28, female and live in Rockingham area. Oh, and I'm also doing the Conquer Cancer Ride the weekend before C2C so would be just as happy to ride with road cyclists.

Hope to hear from someone!!

mel
Mel

uglybob

Re: Cape to Cape MTB 2013

Postby uglybob » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:56 pm

have a search for 'silent revolution'. womans mtb group with a group in perth.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

If they let you ride at work/camp. Maybe get some lights. I think proper road km are much better than "spin" bike km. I have trained for bike rides by bike training on break and concept2 rower at camp for "cardio".

Mountain bike lessons is money well spent. The Avanti store in Cannington often run short mtb courses.

Langford Park Jarrahdale

also you can pick up the munda biddi trail at Jarrahdale for an out and back type ride. This is "easy" mountain bike riding. The pea gravel is challenging at this time of year.

Perth (Women's)

Beginner/Intermediate Men's and Women's Skills Clinics

wamba

Adro

Postby Adro » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Also done something crazy and registered :) I'm a 28 female to, mum of two boys, so will have to fit in the training, but looks fun :)

env1romelza

Postby env1romelza » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 am

Great Stuff!! I think there will be a fair few women riding the cape this year!
Mel

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:18 am

Good luck.
The website says that registrations have now closed and they have the full 1200 riders, that'd be an MTB version of a travelling circus, might be a spectacle worth watching.

wexford

Postby wexford » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:14 pm

This will be my third year and I can't wait. I'm going along with seven other mates and we've got a good house at Margaret River that simplifies logistics for bike transport (at least on days 2 and 3 and the start of day 4). I've been grinding out 100km MTB rides to try and make it less painful this year :D

I reckon I see a lot more women as a percentage of riders on Cape to Cape than I would on any given weekend on the trails!

wexford

Postby wexford » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:15 pm

This will be my third year and I can't wait. I'm going along with seven other mates and we've got a good house at Margaret River that simplifies logistics for bike transport (at least on days 2 and 3 and the start of day 4). I've been grinding out 100km MTB rides to try and make it less painful this year :D

I reckon I see a lot more women as a percentage of riders on Cape to Cape than I would on any given weekend on the trails!

env1romelza

Postby env1romelza » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Whoah 100km MTB rides?? I've never come close to a distance like that before. You must be riding for hours!! What kind of distances do you think I be riding and how often, keeping in mind I just want to finish?!
Mel

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Day 1 40km
Day 2 60km
Day 3 50km
Day 4 60km

The winner averaged about 25kmh last year.(8.5hours assuming the length was about 200km). The "slowest" lady took about 17h 40m for the race last year.

You might average 10kmh (This is what many riders averaged per day on an off road holiday I did earlier in the year, including stops)
You will be on the bike for 4 to 6 hours per day (10 to 15kmh ave).
I would suggest being comfortable riding your bike at least 3 hours at a time, at least 3 days in a row, about 1 month before the race.

YMMV

I have met Cape to Cape riders training on the Midland Rail Trail in previous years. Maybe 3 hours for the 40km loop. It is slow up hill, steady across the top and quick on the downhill on the way home. Railway Reserves Heritage Trail
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Did it this morning. Talking to a guy on the side of the path he mentioned one of the guys does the Rail Trail circuit in 1:30. Ouch. I have major room for improvement.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:39 pm

I average around 10 km/h on the Munda Biddi Trail loaded so would assume 10 km/h + is doable on the Cape to Cape MTB.

Andrew

wexford

Postby wexford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 am

Yep, the rail trail is a great MTB ride for getting some km's in the legs. The "up" half (if you're going clockwise) has a really nice gradient such that you don't even realise you're on a hill most of the time. I ride out there from my house, do the loop and then home for 100km. Takes about four hours, although I've recently bought a carbon 29er for XC riding so I put down my times to the bike more than ability :D

And you can divert into the Goat Farm for some singletrack (it connects to the rail trail near Scott St), or break off and out to Forsyth's Mill off Great Eastern Highway as you cross it heading south.

The key is to train your legs to do long rides for consecutive days. 100km is a lot on a MTB but I want the Cape to Cape to be less punishing this year so I'm working on getting used to that.

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 pm

If the last two events are anything to judge by, practice patience at the hordes of roadies on 29ers who can't ride singletrack, but smash past you on the fire trails. Only to clog the next section of flow trail. Screaming track at them didn't seem to register...

env1romelza

Postby env1romelza » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:14 pm

I experienced that at Dwellingup on the weekend. MUST HAVE MTB experience should be a prerequisite! Or at least be able to roll over a few pissy rocks, and keep to one side when walking up hills to let riders through. Gah!
Mel

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Did you race/ride? How did you find it?

env1romelza

Postby env1romelza » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah I rode the 40k. I found it a pretty good course, lots of single track and challenging enough. I'm feeling somewhat prepared for C2C. The only thing I didn't like was the bottlenecking at the first section of singletrack - was walking up the hill which would have been lovely to ride for about 15-20mins. Was a combination of too many people and riders whom have not ridden much MTB that was slowing everyone up. Did you ride?
Mel

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm

I've got a couple of mates heading over for the C2C soon. Anthony Shippard should be competitive in Elite.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about the traffic jam at the first singletrack except sprint like mad to get in front of everyone, or get the organisers to structure the course with a long steep fire road climb at the start.

The course organisers should be thoroughly explaining etiquette about passing at the pre-start briefing.

One of the things they've done at The Mont 24 to address a couple of problems around passing is supply a second small number plate that has to be cable tied to your saddle facing rearwards. It seemed to work, with nearly everyone being polite and cooperative. There were a few rare exceptions, with one of my teammates being jammed into a tree by a MGIF rider on his night lap, but he got his number and reported him to race control. Mr MGIF got a dressing down and had to explain why he should be allowed back next year. There were a few plate numbers called out over the PA with instructions to report to Race Control for passing infractions.

I generally call "rider" or (preferably) ask politely "Hey, when it's safe for you to do so, do you think I could squeeze past?" I don't want someone crashing and hurting themselves on my account. And I always thank them profusely. A little goodwill goes a very long way :D

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm

I bet the 40km ride was a pain when going up those power lines. I did the 100km and we went up there on the second loop, by which time the field was nicely spread out. The first singletrack section was a pain, though, with a bunch of people getting off and walking over the tiny little rock garden :roll: . The guy in front of me actually got back on, fell over and busted his derailleur hanger! Race over.

As for passing, I'll just call out "bike right" if I'm approaching at a high closing speed, or "can I slip through when you get a chance" if I'm on their wheel and feel like I'm being held up, and always give a polite "thanks for that" as I go past. So long as you speak up, it's not a problem. On this particular ride I noticed lots of people would pre-emptively pull over and wave me through, just as I was enjoying taking a breather and letting them set the pace :D

As for getting overtaken, I'll listen out and let someone through right away if they call out. I'm never ahead enough in the field to take my place seriously and would rather not spoil someone else's buzz if they're having a nice quick section.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:35 pm

At the OP. No I didn't race I was at work that week.

This should cheer you up about the start.
The 1km climb up the hill this year will be much tougher. The unusually high level of rainfall over the past few months has washed away the grading that was made to Heartbreak Hill two years ago. Whilst the width of the track still remain, the climb is now washed back to rocks and roots and will be rideable by only the very best in the field.
from here

wexford

Postby wexford » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I saw heaps of riders on the Swan Railway heritage trail yesterday. There must have been a dozen cars with bike carriers at the Bellevue RSL trail head when there are normally two or three!

Looks like people are getting in their training :-)