Prospect path being extended east?

TTar

Prospect path being extended east?

Postby TTar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:51 am

Had a proper look at the construction at Guildford along the beginning of the Prospect path last night. They're installing underground electricity cables, but the surface does look as though it's being prepared for a very handsome path and most intriguingly, it continues east over the railway line following the water pipeline as if the path is being extended.

Does anyone know if this is the start of the fabled Guildford to Chester Hill route?

Recently I tried riding east from Guildford following as close as possible to the pipeline to see what sort of route it would make and found it was impossible to stay close to the pipeline -- it abuts the back of housing, parklands, industrial estates etc for long stretches. Ended up zig-zagging to the other side of Chullora. I reckon I covered twice the distance I would've had I rode directly adjacent to the pipeline and there was some very ugly traffic on the way.

Previously I've questioned the value of a Guildford to Chester Hill path on this forum, but considering what a "clean" ride it would be, I'd be looking forward to finding excuses to ride the route.
Sent from my fortified compound

g-boaf

Re: Prospect path being extended east?

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:24 pm

They close over the top of the cable trenches nicely and then fill it with earth on the top. :(

It would be very nice for them to complete that path all the way through Rookwood so it can just about link up with the Cooks River path.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:57 pm

g-boaf wrote:They close over the top of the cable trenches nicely and then fill it with earth on the top. :(

It would be very nice for them to complete that path all the way through Rookwood so it can just about link up with the Cooks River path.

I hope you're wrong and the new recently completed bridge over the railway line at Guildford gives me cause to think you just might be.

The bridge duplicates the existing perfectly serviceable bridge, it's just a few metres away from the old bridge but lines up with the new "path" excavations either side of the rail line. It's a proper bridge too, designed to carry humans (on foot or bike) -- you wouldn't need such a construction to carry just cables.

Also, preparations appear to be being made for new street crossings on the western side of the line where the "path" crosses the streets. I don't know much about laying underground cables or building bicycle paths, but there's sections that look as though the could've been covered up with earth already if that's what they were to do and now that I think of it, there isn't big piles of soil set aside to re-cover the excavations.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but if I get a chance I'll conduct even more critical examinations over the weekend and report back to the wise members of BNA. 8)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 pm

I do hope you are right mate. :)

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 pm

A path connecting from Guildford over to Chesterhill would be nice. Would make my trip from Villawood out to Guildford or over to Cooks nice and easy. But where is the path gonna run though? If its gonna follow the pipes, itll mean itll pass under a couple big roads(Woodville, Hector)?

And with the current paths, how do you guys hit Cooks River from Sefton? Waldron/Carlingford is quite a busy road together with Amy St.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I've been wondering about that new bridge over the railway too as the old one is fine even though the surface is timber. A safe way to get over to and across Woodville Road would be great.

I wouldn't be surprised though if all it did was carry cables as some of the infrastructure that has been built for these cables is rather significant with thousands of tonnes of concrete being used. I'd hate to be the bloke whoever has to dig a faulty one up.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey Ive ridden past that and thought the same thing,could it be an extension east.i ride past and feel sorry for the security,standing there all night.when I was a young fella,we used to ride motorbikes along the pipeline between barbers rd & Campbell hill rd,there was 1 house along that pipeline that used to get really upset and try and chase us down with there bikes and dogs.they would set wire between trees to try and screw kids out havin some fun.they where deadset rednecks,like out of a movie or something,it would be great if there was a public path behind there property now.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 pm

I think Hergest is right - it is just the cable trenches and the normal filling process over them.

The new bridge I've heard will replace the old one though, with a better surface than the rickety old wooden one.

I've tried contacting the people responsible for the project but got no answer.

Extending the path further than Regents Park looks difficult with some tricky road and rail crossings.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 am

QuangVuong wrote: But where is the path gonna run though? If its gonna follow the pipes, itll mean itll pass under a couple big roads(Woodville, Hector)?
According to what little literature I can find on the subject, the path is indeed proposed to follow the pipeline. I'm unfamiliar with Hector, but yes, passing under Woodville would require some engineering -- I think the current pipeline underpass there contracts to virtually just the width of the pipes. I doubt they'd want to, or even could fit the electricity cables through that bottleneck, so they may have to excavate a bicycle-path-shaped tunnel through there and elsewhere.
Hergest wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised though if all it did was carry cables as some of the infrastructure that has been built for these cables is rather significant with thousands of tonnes of concrete being used.

Yeah, but it's completely enclosed in those cages to stop people falling off and ne'er-do-wells chucking stuff at passing trains. Plus, they had lengths of handrails sitting on the bridge awaiting installation. Stop party pooping, Hergey!
g-boaf wrote:I think Hergest is right - it is just the cable trenches and the normal filling process over them.
You stop party pooping, too, boafy!

gpz1100 wrote:,we used to ride motorbikes along the pipeline between barbers rd & Campbell hill rd,there was 1 house along that pipeline that used to get really upset and try and chase us down with there bikes and dogs.they would set wire between trees to try and screw kids out havin some fun.they where deadset rednecks,like out of a movie or something,it would be great if there was a public path behind there property now.
I think they might still be there. :shock: You're right, real Deliverance stuff; cue banjo - diding dink, dink dink, dink dink, dink dink...

These cables will be laid all the way to Potts Hill and it's due for completion in December 2013. It's almost impossible to get any coherent info out of various authorities (as usual). I reckon the reason for this is that no one wants to held accountable for something/anything -- the cables are being laid by private enterprise, but I'm not sure who'll be responsible for the path -- probably a combination of a couple of councils and NSW govt. So don't hold your breath for those rivals to present a united front and say, "sure, we'll be getting started on the path as soon as the cables are laid in a cooperative manner and none of us will fuss about taking credit or accepting blame if something goes wrong..."

It'll be interesting to hear the excuses for not getting started next year. And the year that, and the year after...

Meantime, I know a of couple of hidden, but easily accessible entry points to the pipeline easement for some illegal mountain or CX biking if anyone's interested. 8)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Oh if it doesn't get done, I'll blame Tony Abbott! :lol: :P
TTar wrote:According to what little literature I can find on the subject, the path is indeed proposed to follow the pipeline.
I sure hope you are right - it'll be nice if it is done by December 2013.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:54 am

Wha colour was the trench filling? Just the brownish soil? I noticed yesterday that the filling is some grey-white colour. Does this mean a path is coming soon? Looking on Google Maps, it seems there is a path beginning after Woodville bridge, which runs all the way to Regents Park station. From street view, this path is mostly gravel, but it still is drawn as a path.

And once you are there, what is the quickest way to hit the Cooks River Path? If I head down Amy, then Weeroona Rd, you can't continue on Weeroona as theres a gate. I need to turn up East, then head around Railway St before entering the Cooks River Path. Ive never tried going through the cemetary though.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Just grey white, as it is the rest of the way along the prospect path.

They are fixing the dug out bits of the path near Hyland Road (seen yesterday).

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm

The trench is being filled with concrete about 4 feet thick to cover those mega high voltage cables. In a few places at the top of our street outside the pipe head terminal they have either made a mistake or decided to add an extra pipe and have dug up a few holes to get access to the cables. It takes them a day to dig through all the concrete. What you see is alas just a trench filling. It would be perfect to make it into a path but i reckon there is some regulation where you can't have a proper designated path directly on top of high voltage cables.

I might be wrong. I hope i'm wrong as a new pathway following the cables would be most welcome.

It's good to see that the bitumen laid was only temporary. I'm sure a full re-instatement of every path was in the contract for Diona but sometimes it can get left so to see them working on them now is reassuring.

Now all we need is for Reconciliation Road to stay permanently closed while Holroyd Council and the State government argue the toss over who has to look after it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Here is a little bit of what is supposed to be happening in the area around Guildford and Parramatta:

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/__data/ ... kePlan.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some photos of the Eastern end of the path showing the works on the Sydney Cyclist forum.

There are a lot of works still going on along the Prospect Path, especially up near Hyland Road where the bumpy little side diversion is back in use again (the main path is completely dug up).

Here is hoping that when Prospect Dam opens again, that route will remain open 24/7. It's a major route for many people and should be open, especially given how much time it saves.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:51 pm

I rode across the railway bridge this morning and saw that that second bridge has permanent high security gates at both ends, the same thing has been done where a flyover has been installed over the old water pipes on Albert Street. It is in fact just another bit of massive overengineering to carry the electric cables rather than a new bridge to replace the timber slatted one.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Eventually the timber one will start falling apart (some of the planks are already loose). They could just let it fall into disrepair and make people use the stairs at Guildford station. :roll:

I'm being sarcastic, but it wouldn't surprise me. My pessimism seems like it was proven correct.

Scandrew

Postby Scandrew » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Looks like they're laying an asphalt path where it is now. Here's hoping.

sankari

Postby sankari » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:08 am

Very interesting. I decided to take a look this evening.

There's a hotmix path about 1.5 car widths on the northern side of the pipes from Railway Terrace to Kay St, and possibly beyond. I'm speculating this is all related to pipes maintenance. For months now beginning with the closure of Prospect Reservoir, I've seen workers on the canal cycleway starting at the Prospect Reservoir end. More recently, there's been closures of the path between the Guildford pipehead and the railway. And now they've progressed past the railway, where no path exists, they need to build a service road for vehicles and machinery.

Let's hope that the whole length of pipeline requires maintenance, and that all of it requires a service road to be built. Then us cyclists can lobby to use it and leech off the public purse once again :D

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:04 pm

The problem with using the paths alongside the pipeline is that as it's Sydney Water infrastructure it has to be protected against vandals, terrorists and general malcontents which is why the fines for trespassing on their land are so huge. To allow cycling along the pipeline corridor would mean it would all need to be double fenced off which adds considerably to the cost, a cost which i don't believe anybody would want to cover so really i wouldn't hold out on ever being able to ride along that way. The new asphalt would just be for a service road for the pipes and the new electric cables underneath.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:37 pm

I came across this page on Transgrid's website, and unfortunately its all about underground cables and nothing about a cycleway :(

http://www.transgrid.com.au/projects/pr ... fault.aspx

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:Eventually the timber one will start falling apart (some of the planks are already loose). They could just let it fall into disrepair and make people use the stairs at Guildford station. :roll:

I'm being sarcastic, but it wouldn't surprise me. My pessimism seems like it was proven correct.
The workmen were there this morning dismantling the old wooden plank bridge. No signs further down Railway Tce to let cyclists know it was closed. I had to detour via Guildford Station.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:37 pm

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Eventually the timber one will start falling apart (some of the planks are already loose). They could just let it fall into disrepair and make people use the stairs at Guildford station. :roll:

The workmen were there this morning dismantling the old wooden plank bridge. No signs further down Railway Tce to let cyclists know it was closed. I had to detour via Guildford Station.
It's easier to go through Merrylands shopping centre area and through the back streets past the Merrylands velodrome and then join the T-way lane. Go up past Merrylands HS and do a left turn and join the canal from there. That's the way I go now. Or you can go along the M4 path and turn off at the sporting fields and then use Walpole Street.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:54 am

Rode past the wooden bridge today. The old planks that were damaged have been replaced with new planks and the bridge is open for use.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I noticed down past Merrylands station where the path used to end and you'd be forced to take to the road, they've continued the shared path now up to the side street. Quite convenient.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 pm

g-boaf wrote:I noticed down past Merrylands station where the path used to end and you'd be forced to take to the road, they've continued the shared path now up to the side street. Quite convenient.

Yep, that's been done a fair while now and it saves having to do a bit of a salmon when you come back up from the Woodville Road. I feel a bit sorry for the one bloke who used to have an immaculate bit of lawn out the front as that's all gone under the path now.