2013 Black Cats Award

Summernight

Re: 2013 Black Cats Award

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 pm

I didn't want to be posting in here, but the tube fairies told me otherwise:

2 for me for 2013.

Yesterday evening: I come down from work and the tyre is flat. On investigation looks like the tube has failed at the valve - this is the tube that was inserted in March this year on the rear tyre and has been giving me some troubles when pumping up. Fortunately for me when the LBS switched everything to my new wheelset they put the rear tyre and this tube on the front wheel, so I didn't have to get messy with cassettes and chains fixing it yesterday evening. :)

I did it myself this time (with a bit of much appreciated help from a fellow worker who works in the same building). Now I can change a car tyre and a bike tyre. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 pm

old total: 5

front tyre went down instantly after running over something. stopped pulled out the tube - massive cut in it
found the corresponding cut in the tyre. bloody hell
used the $5 note trick. JUST made it home

so one from the cut and one when I went to take out the wheel (went BANG when I just touched the tyre)

new total: 7

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:22 pm

+1 = 18

Finished my class at the gym, got on my bike and found the tyre was already flat. Went down while parked at the gym.

Intrusion into the rear tyre. Seems the rain gods have teamed up with the puncture gods. Found the cause, a tiny piece of glass, so small it was almost missed.

Put a new tyre on when I got home to appease the puncture gods
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:10 pm

+2, 17. Both on the one epic ride, neither had anything in the tyre to give me a clue, really annoying. The first was right outside The Lodge, I kept expecting APS to come and check me out. :oops:

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Not me this time, but a poor lady on the M7 cycleway in Sydney- near Elizabeth Drive. The derailleur hanger had completely sheared off. She'd by that time taken off her shoes and was walking in her socks. :( I stopped to see if everything was okay, but there was nothing anyone could do. :?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 pm

g-boaf wrote:Not me this time, but a poor lady on the M7 cycleway in Sydney- near Elizabeth Drive. The derailleur hanger had completely sheared off. She'd by that time taken off her shoes and was walking in her socks. :( I stopped to see if everything was okay, but there was nothing anyone could do. :?
I dunno, with a multi tool I would set the bike up as a single speed on a suitable gear.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 pm

queequeg wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Not me this time, but a poor lady on the M7 cycleway in Sydney- near Elizabeth Drive. The derailleur hanger had completely sheared off. She'd by that time taken off her shoes and was walking in her socks. :( I stopped to see if everything was okay, but there was nothing anyone could do. :?
I dunno, with a multi tool I would set the bike up as a single speed on a suitable gear.
If I had one - I might have done so. I shall get one.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:
queequeg wrote:
If I had one - I might have done so. I shall get one.

I have a crank bros 17 tool for each bike, which includes a chain breaker/joiner, though I also carry spare quick links and pins. Very handy!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Here I am again.

commuter tyre this time - first one ever on a marathon plus

old total: 7
+1
new total: 8

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 pm

How to scratch your race bike frame? Simply run over a screw in the top of the sidewall.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:39 pm

+1, 18. About 10km into a 103k ride, came round a corner and the bike just didn't feel right, a few hundred metres up the road and I realised the front was going down.

It had been soooo long, the tube had adhered to the tyre and I had to use the levers the whole way around the wheel to get the bead off, then peel the tyre off the tube before finally pulling the damned tube out. It appears some quartz embedded in the tyre had finally killed the tube, so a few extra minutes digging out the stones before finally getting moving again.

The scary part was that it was a new vittoria tube from the box with removable valve and I hadn't remembered to tighten up the valve - and with CO2 the valve usually shrinks and unscrews with the inflation head. Luckily... not this time. :D

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Oh, you evil cow. :evil:

+1, 19, 4km into my ride today, hammering at 50kph on the flat when a giant staple ended up stuck in the rear tyre - fully deflated well before I could stop. I had to walk about 20m across wet grass to a carpark to change the tube, ended up with dirt and mud all over me because I didn't think to carry the bike.

Why me? Why meeeeeeeeeee!??!!!!!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Well I now have 15. Chunk of glass cut straight through and killed the tire

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:14 pm

+1 = 19

Another flat on the way home from the gym Friday morning. Caused by an intrusion and it typical fashion couldn't find the offending object so I'm assuming it got ejected. Hasn't gone down since

And I patched about 20 tubes the other day....
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

Bloody again!

+1, 20. Thought the front. tyre was a bit soft on the way home, no question at all later tonight, a nick in the front tube slowly letting the air out. I m so over this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:33 am

Plenty of glass all over the place in Canberra at the moment, but still nothing to report re punctures on the Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless. Must have something to do with the lack of tubes. Still dont carry C02 a pump, an emergency tube, still ride through glass.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 am

Cruiserman wrote:Plenty of glass all over the place in Canberra at the moment, but still nothing to report re punctures on the Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless. Must have something to do with the lack of tubes. Still dont carry C02 a pump, an emergency tube, still ride through glass.
You need to move over this side of town. Smashing bottles seems to be the new sport.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 pm

I ride through several patches of glass on the way to work each day. Seems to be more and more of it around, guess you have to be pretty tough to be able to break a bottle on the road. I still dont like riding through it even though I have total faith in the tubeless concept, but there have been lots of patches that seem to be deliberatly placed where you have to ride through it. I drive over to that side of town most weekends for work and for the most part would not like to live there, at least you can cut down on roof gutter cleaning costs having them so close together.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 pm

+1 to make is a running total of 6 for me.

Rear tyre punctured by a metal shaving about 2.5 km from home on a 65 km ride. Pretty easy
to find and fix, as the metal shaving protruded a good 2 mm inside tyre.

It's been 3500 km of riding, and 2230 km since the previous puncture on the particular conti GP4000s.
A lot more of riding has been on-road (particularly M5) and less off road on M7 cycleway, so I'm pretty happy with the puncture performance of the conti's.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am

+2, 22. Both rear, one five minutes into my commute, the second five minutes from the end of the commute. Glass for the first, fairy pube for the second. I'd had enough with the second, I just hung over the front of the bike and kept going with the wheel bouncing off the road occasionally until I reached work.

At least it wasn't raining. :roll:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm

+1, 23. Grabbed the bike this morning... rear tyre was flat. I pulled it all apart, overinflated and found the hole in the tube and after much struggling trying to get a grip on it, I pulled a piece of metal out of the carcass with a pair of pliers. I either missed that one repairing the second puncture yesterday... or I screwed up and it was the same piece.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:58 pm

How many kms do you do each year or do you just commute through really !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! areas? :P

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Having a slack year, heading to ~ 13k-k's. Rode ~ 150km in Lorne last weekend, saw one patch of glass. Here... there is a coating of glass on all roads.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 am

twizzle wrote:Having a slack year, heading to ~ 13k-k's. Rode ~ 150km in Lorne last weekend, saw one patch of glass. Here... there is a coating of glass on all roads.

Got to love Canberra
-no street sweeping
-bogans who love smashing bottles

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 am

From above posts Continental GP 4000s seem to be copping it, I slashed one yesterday with about 2000kms left in it :evil:
8 for the year, two on the Conti,s.
I've now fitted Schwalbe Durao Plus.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.