Munda Biddi Trail in end of October

sloory

Munda Biddi Trail in end of October

Postby sloory » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello,

I plan ride over Munda Biddi Trail. I will arrive to Perth 23 October. Not sure about ride directions. May be i will start from Perth but may be change plans and will start from Albany. I think start from Albany more secure because i have flight out ticket with fixed date and if i will travel to Perth from Albany in case of any problems with time i will be able cancel my route and quickly go to Perth by asphalt roads or by train from Bunbury.

It will be great ride whole trail or only part of it with new friends. I plan stay for nights in campsites but for sure plan also take my tent too.

Also i have question. Can anybody suggest best/cheapest way for transfer between Albany and Perth with bicycle? As i know it is impossible travel by bus with bicycle. For now i see only one option: flight by Virgin Australia. But here i don`t fully sure about additional payment for bicycle in baggage. I don`t plan to have more than 23 kg but not sure about Virgin Australia rules for Saver fare.

Thanks for any advises.

mitzikatzi

Re: Munda Biddi Trail in end of October

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Bus is a common way to get to Albany.
As far as I know you can take your bike on the bus Transwa Luggage Policy

There are others on this forum with more knowledge than me on this matter. That I am sure will be along soon.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm

As Mitzikatzi mentioned. Yes bus is the best way. TransWA. Wheel your bike on and wheel it off
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 pm

sloory wrote: Also i have question. Can anybody suggest best/cheapest way for transfer between Albany and Perth with bicycle? As i know it is impossible travel by bus with bicycle.
I will also confirm that you can take a bike on the bus from albany to perth. There are several different routes the coaches(bus) take. Start here: http://www.transwa.wa.gov.au/Default.aspx?tabid=93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then check timetables and passenger info.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:21 pm

I rode from Albany in July ... going from Albany seems to the more popular option so you are less likely to meet riders on the Trail as they riding the same way as you :)

I caught one of the two Transwa services to Albany and I managed to book on the slow one via Narrogin (arrives about an hour later) and the one with a grumpy coach driver, Richard. It seems Richard wasn't to impressed with the bike and my Extrawheel Voyager trailer! He had the foresight to tell me as I loaded the bike and trailer (a) that it should be boxed (never had an issue before nor is there any suggesting of boxing on the Transwa website) and (b) he needed to make allowance for the other passengers luggage (there was about 10 passengers of which at least two had no luggage). I think Richard was not having the best of days :)

After all the that the bike arrived in Albany along with me and three other passengers all safe and sound. The bus terminus in Albany is at the Albany Tourist Centre which is also the southern terminus for the Munda Biddi Trail.

Andrew

sloory

Postby sloory » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:35 pm

As Mitzikatzi mentioned. Yes bus is the best way. TransWA. Wheel your bike on and wheel it off
Thanks a lot. It save about 100$! Only one moment here. I must pre-book ticket by phone. It is does not allowed book by internet if you pay via internet.

sloory

Postby sloory » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Also question. I plan flight by JetStar. But they require pack bicycle in Bike Pack. In internet i read different stories about it. Someone write about carton box disallowed. Another one had successfully story about carton boxes. I have soft bag like this link. Do you have any experience in use such bag in JetStar? Or may be better choose contact to bike shop on Perth and ask about carton box?

redned

Postby redned » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:24 pm

sloory wrote:Also question. I plan flight by JetStar. But they require pack bicycle in Bike Pack. In internet i read different stories about it. Someone write about carton box disallowed. Another one had successfully story about carton boxes. I have soft bag like this link. Do you have any experience in use such bag in JetStar? Or may be better choose contact to bike shop on Perth and ask about carton box?
I have flown Jetstar always with my bike in a box, not a bag such as yours. I suggest that it is what they mean by "bike pack". Jetstar do not have bike boxes at airports but Qantas does at many major airports. I have bought them at Qantas and then flown Jetstar. You might not be able to get one at the airport in Albany. I have often picked up a box from a bike shop in Perth for free for this purpose.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:57 pm

I may be wrong but they may not carry bikes on the plane that comes here to Albany.
I recall when we flew to Devonport our bikes could not fly with us and were flown to Launceston and we waited then for them to be delivered by road.
Albany airport only takes relatively small aircraft. If you are thinking of flying it will pay to do your homework.

John

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:24 am

John Lewis wrote:I may be wrong but they may not carry bikes on the plane that comes here to Albany.
I recall when we flew to Devonport our bikes could not fly with us and were flown to Launceston and we waited then for them to be delivered by road.
Albany airport only takes relatively small aircraft. If you are thinking of flying it will pay to do your homework.

John
Does Jetstar actually fly to Albany? I thought it was only Skywest (Virgin in effect).

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:
John Lewis wrote:I may be wrong but they may not carry bikes on the plane that comes here to Albany.

John
Does Jetstar actually fly to Albany? I thought it was only Skywest (Virgin in effect).

Andrew
Yes, Skywest/Virgin.

I'll go ask them out of curiosity next time I'm near their office.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:16 am

Flew skywest Perth - Esperance and no problem with bikes. It was a F50
Checked on skywest for Perth - Albany and shows F50 plane as well so I bet bikes are OK boxed
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

sloory

Postby sloory » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 am

Sorry. I don`t write my question correct. As suggested above i will move to Albany by bus and move back by bicycle to Perth. I ask about Jetstart flight because i plan flight out of Australia with this company. But now i find cheaper flight in AirAsia company. I already flight with this company with my bicycle in soft bag without problems.