Advice on commuting bag

ShogunHy

Re: Advice on commuting bag

Postby ShogunHy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm

I have the MTX DXP Bag and compatible Super Tourist rack and have had the water bottle bounce out a couple of times from the rear pocket - always managed to get it back tho' as first time I heard it hit he gravel - second time a motorist wound down his window and told me it fell out - got to remember to tighten up the drawstring! Perfect set up for carrying stuff though!
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

dasinc

Postby dasinc » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 am

I know this reply is *super* late, but what the hell. I just bought these panniers as I ride throughout winter. They are awesome. Just clip on/off in 1/2 a second and totally waterproof.

http://www.tbe.com.au/products/tioga-ta ... -bl/89772/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 pm

I have moved on from my Topeak MTX DXP due to a failing zip. Now rocking an Ortlieb Back Roller Classic. Good points and bad points to both. I definitely miss all the easy to access pockets and clip on points, bottle holder, side pocket for jacket etc. Now I have to unroll and go rummaging every time. So convenience is down, but waterproofness and presumably durability are up. I only use 1 of them, a second for emergencies if they ever eventuate. It's big and wide and probably adds a lot more wind drag...

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Also, should add that I'm pondering a neater rear rack - does a Tubus Fly work with an Ortlieb Back Roller?

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Depending on how much you want to carry, the Timbuk2 Hunchback (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/hun ... rack-trunk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is working really well for me :)

Looks good ( to me anyways) , holds just enough at 10/13 litres, easily installed or removed (bit tricky on a Topeak Super Tourist but nothing too hard ) and doesn't look too daggy if you're carrying it off the bike. It can actually carry a 12 pack of tinnies or stubbies and ice without leaking too :)

Other than that if I need to take a bit more I've got a Timbuk2 Custom Medium Canvas Classic Messenger and a Brisbane Outdoor Gear DUB Messenger :)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:08 am

MattyK wrote:Also, should add that I'm pondering a neater rear rack - does a Tubus Fly work with an Ortlieb Back Roller?
Have a Tubus Fly, but found my bags would keep flopping to one side, maybe it was due to crap bags? Not sure but the Fly is quite narrow on top.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 pm

The Back Roller is a side pannier, not a top bag. Narrow is the whole reason I'm considering the Fly.
Bike24 (I think) mentions the Back Roller doesn't fit on the Tubus Airy, which geometrically is very similar to the Fly.
Google doesn't seem to have a clear cut answer...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:48 pm

MattyK wrote:The Back Roller is a side pannier, not a top bag. Narrow is the whole reason I'm considering the Fly.
Bike24 (I think) mentions the Back Roller doesn't fit on the Tubus Airy, which geometrically is very similar to the Fly.
Google doesn't seem to have a clear cut answer...
I am running the Tubus Airy with a pair of Backroller Plus bags. The main issue is that you need a bag that can have the hooks for the rail adjusted so they are quite close together.
This is not an issue on the Backroller Plus with the QL2 system. I am not sure about the "classic" version with the QL1 system though.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Classic (looking over my shoulder at it) can adjust the hook about 100mm apart. Would probably compromise heel clearance in that position though.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 pm

MattyK wrote:Classic (looking over my shoulder at it) can adjust the hook about 100mm apart. Would probably compromise heel clearance in that position though.
I have mine set so that the bag sits as far back as it will go, and slightly angled. That gives me plenty of heel clearance with my Size 46 Shimano MTB shoes.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Grejoh

Postby Grejoh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I know its way after the fact, but others may be contemplating this issue. All I can add is +1 for the Topeak MTX DXP bag and Super Tourist rack, which are fitted to my Trek 7.3. The top bag carrys all I need it to, and when I do the uniform run, I can fit two shirts and a pair of trousers in each pannier,jocks and socks for the week in the top, and all is good! And I have been enjoying not having a super sweaty back anymore too!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:42 pm

If Santa brings me that Tubus Fly then I will have a Topeak rack for sale; I have a MTX DXP bag available if anyone is interested - well loved but still a bit of life in it...

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Seems there's two schools of thought, rack mounted or shoulder mounted. Either is good. Find out which suits your needs.

I'm lucky enough not to have to lug any books, computers heavy stuff. All I take is my clothes and spare parts for the possible fl@. So I put on a bag. Yeah I get sweaty and sometimes the bag is heavier if I've got lunch in there. But it's nothing I can't carry. I think also if you don't have to shoulder the load, then you're more likely to carry more items, as it's not weighing you down in direct contact. Also I can use my bag for other uses, and if I'm not using the bag then I can just ride my bike, without the added weight or bulk of panniers/racks.

Good bag makers:

AUS:
Crumpler
BOgear
Skin Grows Back

USA and other:
Ortlieb
Chrome
Seagull Custom Bags
Deuter
Vaude
Reload Bags
Zugster
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 pm

MattyK wrote:If Santa brings me that Tubus Fly then I will have a Topeak rack for sale; I have a MTX DXP bag available if anyone is interested - well loved but still a bit of life in it...
Santa (or rather SWMBO) was kind :D MTX DXP bag and Topeak Super Tourist DX rack for sale cheap if anyone wants to try out this way of life.

FWIW (in response to the last post), the Tubus is hardly bulky or heavy at about 350g...

Ron D Swan might go on the Aussie bag list too.

turtle rider

Postby turtle rider » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Pickup an Aldi backpack for $20 , has a padded compartment for the laptop , silver lined compartment for cold lunch , larger compartment for work clothes and a handy nets either side for a drink bottle.

m1a7

Postby m1a7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 am

North St. Bags! http://northstbags.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hand-made, great quality, and wide range of custom colours to choose from.
I recommend the Woodward Convertible backpack pannier

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:21 am

I have a backpack and after 45 minutes it starts too kill your lower back.
Life is Full of Surprises
https://www.youtube.com/user/krellon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;