Cycle clothing visibility

NotFlyingScot

Cycle clothing visibility

Postby NotFlyingScot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Driving back through Nat. Park from Bundeena earlier this week I spotted a rider about a kilometre up ahead in a bright red / white jersey. What I did not see was a guy dressed head to toe in black or navy riding in the deep afternoon shadow of the roadside trees only a few metres ahead.
Please for the sake of ones own self preservation dress in high visibility clothing if you are going to ride country roads with next to no hard shoulder.
FPR Jubilado Bludger

The 2nd Womble

Re: Cycle clothing visibility

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Yup, you don't need to look like a radioactive banana, but use some brains.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Aye.

Audax won't even let you start a country ride if it's going to get dark and you don't have hi-vis garment and rear light plus backup.

Those things are just as useful on overcast or rainy days or under the shade of trees.

AK900

Postby AK900 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Yup, you don't need to look like a radioactive banana, but use some brains.
Better to look like a radioactive banana masquerading as a Christmas than to be hit by a car.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm

AK900 wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Yup, you don't need to look like a radioactive banana, but use some brains.
Better to look like a radioactive banana masquerading as a Christmas than to be hit by a car.
You may be surprised by the many stories told by cyclists who look like radioactive bananas at Christmas who still have motorists saying to them "Sorry, but I just didn't see you."

Obviously if it makes you feel more visible then that is good, but don't assume just because you've got radioactive bananas on that cars won't pull out unexpectedly in front of you or fail to give way.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm often dressed as a wasp person, Summernight, it's about changing the percentages of SMIDSY.

It'll never be 100, which is not a reason not to wear the clothing, and it'll never be zero, despite what that Victorian cop who wants all cyclists to wear hi-vis says. :smile:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Wear bright yellow or gasp - white if you dare!

I do wear white sometimes. :twisted: White is probably more visible than hi-viz! :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm

If hi-viz includes hot pink then I don't have a problem with wearing it. :lol:

ray

Postby ray » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Or you can dress as one of the wiggles they even have a black coloured jersey but no purple :)

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:
I do wear white sometimes. :twisted: White is probably more visible than hi-viz! :lol:
Actually, no.

The theory is that white reflects the available light, but the hi-vis stuff borrows some from the invisible spectrum and re-emits it in the visible.

So as it gets darker, white becomes gray while the fluoro stuff glows like Warnie's teeth. :grin:

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi-vis is no more visible than any other colour in the dark, you need reflective strips.

I usually wear red. With no scientific facts to back me up, I've formed the opinion that if everyone is wearing hi-vis, we're not really highly visible. Especially in Australia where every second person is a contractor wearing hi-vis I find it all just starts to blend together and you don't really take notice.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Haven't got any but I reckon the hincapie gear makes great sense....jersey and shirts that look normal by day but have reflective elements in the design....anyone tried them?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm

clackers wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Actually, no.

The theory is that white reflects the available light, but the hi-vis stuff borrows some from the invisible spectrum and re-emits it in the visible.

So as it gets darker, white becomes gray while the fluoro stuff glows like Warnie's teeth. :grin:
Totally missed the point... :lol:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 am

My mate wears reflective gear, it works really well

I make my bike reflective so it stands out.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:37 pm

In general it's better to keep retro reflective stuff down low where car low beams can actually hit it. Like ankles, seat stays etc. From the side I don't have much faith in reflectors - if a car is pointing it's headlights at you from the side it's probably too late. Ie you are in the intersection and the car is about to be...

You can get good quality 3m reflective sticker strips very cheap on eBay including red ones for the rear. Just cut to the size and shape you want. Red ones wrapped around bottom of seat stays work really well from multiple rear angles. There are black ones too but they are not as effective.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 pm

I have this theory that if we rode naked (apart from shoes and helmet, that is) everyone would see us! :D Mind you, I'm not going to be the one to test that theory.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

for_sleep

Postby for_sleep » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 am

@Mugglechops, is that reflective tape all around your rear wheel? I like the Tron feel :P

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Are there any jerseys that have large reflective blocks on the back? Nothing works in low light like that reflective piping - I like my black duds but would really like a big block on the back.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Xplora wrote:Are there any jerseys that have large reflective blocks on the back? Nothing works in low light like that reflective piping - I like my black duds but would really like a big block on the back.
Altura Night Vision.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm

http://www.elevengear.com/hi-viz-cyclin ... aster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i want the coral snake! :twisted:

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Lights on during a day ride work for me.
Hi Viz can be a too high a price to pay to prevent, road users not meeting their obligations to motoring, from running you down.

Pity the poor local wildlife who don’t get to shop on-line for LED flashies.
Posted speed limits for motorists are only for when prevailing conditions make it safe.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 pm

3M reflective tape!!

Not long ago some people on the forum were buying rolls and then chopping it up. You just need to find the right stuff that will fit to your jersey and is washable... and the coolest, you can then cut it in any shop you want including little ponies.

On the BNA jerseys I tend to wear the blue event though the black looks cooler. Both have the reflective piping and I have lights on during the day - but it is that bit extra when out on public roads. Not quite as cool as the all in black no light dawn riders, but also not as invisible.
Cycling is in my BNA

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm led to believe the new SCA stuff will have reflective strips again this year, jersey and knicks. Apparently.
Apparently the bikepure logos are being removed and replaced with the new sky blue bikepure bands as well, one each on an arm and leg cuff. Apparently...
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves